• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

vs. Toon Link

MrAndersonMan

Smash Cadet
My brother just switched from Ike to Toon Link and Game and Watch against my Wolf. I have no experience playing a TL, but I've read that Wolf counters him. But when I play him...

-My fair approach goes right over his head, and to my knowledge it's un-shorthoppable
-He's pretty good at dodging projectiles, but so am I, so it's just a slugfest
-His bair is insanely fast... I don't know how to dodge it yet
-TL has a really high second jump and recovery, and I'm not good at spiking yet

So yeah. No projectiles for either of us, and to my knowledge I have slightly longer range but he's got a disjointed hitbox. Any tips?

§witch

Smash Lord
Wolf's fair is short hoppable. In fact that is the only real way to use it as an approach(as it cancels all landing lag). As for his bair you can see it coming if he turns around so use the shine as a counter or power sheild or spotdodge.

MrAndersonMan

Smash Cadet
I thought if you shorthop it you land on the ground. The only way I've gotten it to work is to use it right at the beginning of a full jump. I've got to try that.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
I'll admit that when I saw this thread on the opening page (as the newest responded to), I started laughing. If any two characters counter Toon Link, they would be Wolf and Olimar. You say your brother is good at dodging projectiles, but that in no way means you should stop abusing your laser. It's a ***** to approach on, and although the Hylian Shield blocks it completely and pushes a TL back far enough to get out of your range, if you walk forward while you're firing, you'll eventually push him off the edge assuming he does nothing but stand there. When he approaches, Fsmash. Toon Link has one of the best aerial games out of all characters (beaten only by Diddy and possibly Squirtle), as well as a moveset comprised entirely of disjointed hitboxes. I wouldn't suggest fighting in the air unless you know you're going to win.

Laser spamming and Fsmashing may seem a bit boring to someone physically-oriented such as yourself, but it works.

MrAndersonMan

Smash Cadet
Yeah, as I said, first time playing TL, and I usually play an aerial game... he messed me up. :p

How do I walk while shooting? Do you just mean foxtrot / shoot? I've never heard of something like this before...

QUIVO

Smash Master
Most wolf's I've seen can get me with a couple of lasers by just standing on the otherside of the edge or by jumping and lasering.

I also forget the spacing for wolf's fsmash since it has so much range. use that a lot when he approaches like cooper said. If he's around your shield, do a dsmash. Those two attacks seem to come out really fast and hit me often.

I haven't seen a good wolf use aerials as a primary strategy on me. (with good reason since toon link is really good in the air) They usually stay on the ground.

If he bairs you, just DI away and airdodge. When he grabs you, good chance he'll just dthrow and start bairing. Again, Di away and airdodge. Stay away from his bair.

soresu

Smash Rookie
Just play defensively. I play TL all the time and I have the most trouble against good wolf players. SPAM SPAM that laser. Laser + reflector means you win the projectile game. When TL approaches all you have to do is either fsmash, shield grab, or downsmash out of shield. Just read what the TL is doing and react accordingly.

Also, Wolf's bair has amazing priority and outranges TL easily. Spam that as well.

But yea shield grabbing is your friend. If the TL spaces perfectly he can avoid it, but it's really hard.

Darth JoBak

Smash Apprentice
I have a roommate who mains toon and I destroy him with wolf, we aqually skilled and wolf is the only character I consistently own him with. So here is some tips for you

-if he is one who overuses dairs then breakout the reflector and use it aggressively to combo, reflector approach works wonders as well
-edge hog with bairs (obliviously)
-when hanging on the edge try using the reflector in the middle of his up B, invincibility frames + setup for bairs = teh awesome for me
-upsmash spairingly
-personal fav KO combo is reflector him down out of the air into a down smash
-use fsmash to rack up damage and maintain spacing (too oblivious?)
-if he approaches you out of the air work in a side B or two
-rep wolf to the fullest, ask him: whats the matter, scared?
-seriously abuse the reflector to set up everything

dream theater

Smash Cadet
What I do..

(1) Toon link will probably start off by spamming his arrows at you so use your reflector right away
(2) While he is shooting you with arrows he'll probably rush you, so put your shield on when he tries to hit you then roll and attack from behind.

You can also just keep dodging and smashing him.
thats what i dio

One_With_Sumthing

Smash Apprentice
When approaching, use the reflector. 100% guaranteed effective or your money back. [this works for me, because you didn't give me any money. :p]
Since he can hit from far away, try to get in nice and close to *a*e him.

Top Bottom