• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS Sonic - Matchup Discussion and Analysis

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Does anyone have any ideas on this MU?
Any helpful knowledge would be nice.

Grass

Smash Lord
This is an annoying MU for any character, except maybe Rosa. But, this is more of a who-has-more-patience game. I don't wanna give ratios, but I think this probably one of Marth's worse match-ups. I mean cloud is another bad MU, but that's a little more manageable than this. I can't comment on this, I hardly ever win vs. Sonics. =/

SmBootZ

Smash Cadet
One of my best friends is a sonic main so i have a crap load of XP in this match up.
First of all, try not to approach with aerials unless u know it is going to hit. the second you try to zone out sonic you will be punished for it because he can punish every move you have. If you have to close ground on him, i recommend walking so you have quick access to your shield.
After he uses spin dash/charge try to read his recovery option afterwards, a lot of the time they will jump or spring to get out of the way and you can punish both. For jump you have to read his DI and for spring just follow him down, marths disjoints make that part easy.

In the Neutral, Shield is ur best friend!

Also if you see sonic charging a side B or down B, he cannot cancel it after charging for more than a few seconds, so you automatically know he has to release it and come flying at you soon. If that is the case you, can try and bait it out with a short hop, then react with counter.

Edge guarding sonic is also vary vary risky. Even if you read an air dodge he has invincibility at the start of his up B so you would literally have to be frame perfect to punish. Also 9 times out of 10 his spring will end up gimping you. I have learned through trial and error to just wait on stage and punish his get up options instead of edge guarding. (Unless you are sure you have him, of course)

also, if sonic trys to take you for a spring ride, you can us Up B and kill him for it.

Closing remarks:
Sonics whole game is to be patient until you make the slightest mistake and then punish you for it. So, you have to play the neutral completely safe. As soon as you have access to your shield start using it (Watch out for dash grab as a mix up).

DariusM27

Smash Ace
If he's coming in for the grab, you can jab him out of his approach, but be careful to not wiff it :/ Probably should constantly mix things up.

Last edited:

NeoFranky

Smash Rookie
Jab, D-tilt and F-tilt do beat his spindashes, so if your opponent is too happy with those you can punish. Retreating fair or nair also helps when he approaches. Sonic players tend to stay away from large distances and approach quickly, which gives you quite a bit of time to react. You can force Sonic players to doubt, hesitate and make mistakes simply by giving them the impression they cannot approach you. Do be precise and don't whiff, because he is one of the characters that can punish your whiffs with the most ease.

Grass

Smash Lord
>Neutral? You mean spin dash?

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't shield vs. sonic. I'd rather play a more punish heavy game. Sonics love it when you shield so they can mind game you into grab scenarios and force you out of shield. That being said, patience is still your best tool in this scenario.

Jab, D-tilt and F-tilt do beat his spindashes, so if your opponent is too happy with those you can punish.
I've never found punishing spin dash to be a very good feeling tbh nor do I find it terribly rewarding. As you have to be frame perfect and 90% of people are not frame perfect let alone know the timing to properly punish spin dash. And the rewards for punishing are bare minimal.

Edge guarding sonic is also vary vary risky.
I don't think it's even necessary. I just damage build to 150 and up throw. Honestly, like I said not only is this a fairly ****ty matchup, it's not a very rewarding MU either.

Last edited:

Fephoenix

Smash Cadet
The way I like to try and punish spin dash and spin charge is with a projectile, but Marth doesn't have that. Honestly, when facing Sonic, use shield often. If there's a spin dash or spin charge, use shield. If Sonic uses his homing attack, dodge and punish with a forward smash or shield breaker. Shield breaker is probably the best considering the long range it has. I wouldn't punish Sonic if his homing attack ends in the air though. He seems to have low ending lag. If you know Sonic is going to dash attack, shield and punish with whatever option you have. If not, rolling behind Sonic should work if he's dashing. At high percentage, try not to get grabbed, because back throw can kill. Mostly, play it safe and be patient. If you know you have the time, throw out a low lag move as a bait. All Marth can really do to Sonic is punish his every mistake. Also, don't use your smashes unless there is an actual opportunity. Learn the lag times of Sonic's moves. Also, I notice that some Sonics will try to get behind you if you use shield. I might just be playing a bad player, but they'll also use back air. Try to roll behind them and punish if they do so.

Edit: Forgot to say so, but this is a bad matchup for Marth.

Last edited:

TrashWizard

Smash Cadet
NNID
n1nj4t2
In theory isn't this matchup about gaining stage control during sonics spin dash charges and then pivot ftilt to strike where the opponent expects to hit you

Top Bottom