• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs. Snake

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I'm overall not super experienced with it but overall i dont find him super difficult to manage when i come across one.

things to keep in mind from his end would be:
  • grab>sticky
  • his sideb. its really easy to get caught by this if you're too focused on dashdancing. The best way i find to combat the side-b is to get good at reacting to it and either shield or short hop, that way it'll just waste one of his charges.
  • challenging his hitboxes - he can hit pretty hard and it feels like he has some good priority over your zoning if you try to wrecklessly challenge his hitboxes.
  • keeping track of all of his grenades/landminds/C4 - this can be difficult for some people as it limits some of your ability to stay mobile around the stage. landmines and grenades are hit big zoning tools and he'll use them to put you into bad situations, so try to avoid getting hit by those while looking for openings and oportunities.
As for MU notes as roy:
  • I kinda just try to look for grab opportunities and do the standard tech chase combo stuff. (dtilts, grab setups, Nair, Fair)
  • Dtilt>Fair>etc works like it does vs most everyone. His weight means he can get juggled pretty bad.
  • I think it's important to respect some of the priority on his moves though and not go to bold vs his Fair for instance.
  • Nair does a really good job of knocking him around and taking space and theres not a ton he can really do about it outside of shield grabbing you or blowing you up with a grenade while he's in shield.
  • flare blade (neutral B) does a really good job of covering his upB recovery in a lot of cases.
  • I think it's important to do your best to keep him above you on platforms for positional advantage, as well as keeping him away from center stage when you're edgeguarding
  • when you're edgeguarding you should have a huge advantage; you can wall him out pretty well from my experience with Fair swats, nairs, and flare blade

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
There's a MU thread for MU discussion like this, please use that.

Azure pretty much nailed it down though. Snake gets combo'd pretty hard by Roy, and is easy to edgeguard just in general. Try to keep pressure on to prevent his stage control tactics, and shy away from risky laggy moves like dsmash, since Snake's tranq basically has the power to magnify a punish on moves like that.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
smaller stages with smaller horizontal blast zones probably help you the most. Id say lylat could help mess with snakes up b recovery and give you lots of platforms to work with. warioware, fountain of dreams can be good for the blast zones, yoshis is good overall, green hill zone, and even distant planet isnt too bad. PS2 and battlefield are probably more toward neutral between the two. I'd avoid dreamland, smashville, skyworld, norfair, and FD. For personal bans id say i always would lean to banning dreamland, skyworld, and either FD or smashville.

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
My opponent plays a campy Snake, making use of Mines and the Sleep Darts, does this affect stage choice because? For me, I personally think FD would be a terrible choice considering this.

P-Breaker

Smash Cadet
I personally think you should jump more and use fair and nair, when you jump you can't get hit by sleeping darts or mines on the ground. Try to DACUS to snake, it's quick and it will hit the most of the times. You have to try to put him offstage, because Roy is way better in the air than Snake.

Top Bottom