• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS Snake

blue cheez

Smash Cadet
Snake apparently is the best character in the game? Sweet! Thats good news for Olimars. Instead of having to worry about annoying marths and robs, the majority of players will be on the newly-top-tier "snake bandwagon"!

I really want to take advantage of the fact that Olimar has advantage over Snake, to the point where I'm so good against Snake, its like a default win for me in tourneys. :chuckle:

So far I know:

• Get up close
  • Juggle him
  • Abuse long grab-range and Fsmash

That's all i got, and its basicly what you do vs anyone, lol. I haven't seen alot of advice vs. snake, so maybe players can start collectively posting information about countering him here.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
ummmmmm, about the getting up close.... thats bad because of his jab lol
although spiking him works well since the super armor frames on his recovery aren't for the entire recovery

blue cheez

Smash Cadet
b/c there is no advice on the olimar forums, i read the snake forums to find out how snakes play vs olimars.

Snake players want to stay away as much as possible from olimar b/c of his range and priority. So far Snake's counter strategy is just to outcamp olimar.

keeper

Smash Champion
Things that beat Snake:
-Grabs>Mortar Slide/Wavesmash/dash into Usmash
-Purple Pikmin
-Grabs
-Red Pikmin

Yep, it pwns face.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
ok, lets make advice

know that your reds will not die with the mines or grenandes
if snake recovers close to the stage, gimp him by grabbing the helicopter
if snake recovers far from the stage, spike him
stay away from snakes jab
attempt to out-mind game him
use a lot of grabs and pikman throws......... this way he either takes the pikmin latch damage.... or takes the grab damage

thats all i really have, specific questions help :) even though no one really complained about him yet lol

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know that if you grab him during the animation of his recovery while he is getting back to the ledge, you can just not throw him and do nothing. He'll get out of the grab and fall into the abyss.

(he won't have any control wutsoever, after falling)

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
Snake is still a pretty tough matchup against someone who knows how to play him.

One big tip is to know the leve you're on. For example, on Lylat, Olimar can DESTROY Snake. Just get him into the air and don't let him back on the main floor; keep him on one of those 3 platforms.

But on the more common level like Smashville or Battlefield, Snake is still very tricky.

Definitely be on the look out for:

Dash attack &/or Mortar Slide
Bair
Utilt
Jabs and Ftilt
Grenades

If you can anticipate &/or retaliate well against all these moves, Snake becomes a lot less tricky. Remember to never underestimate his speed, considering how heavy and powerful he is.

As others have said, your grab is a must on this matchup. I'd say at the very beginning of the match just stick to grabs and Pikmin toss until he gets frustrated and lets his guard down.

And of course gimping and spiking. I've never been that great at these techs (I usually get a good one every other game or so) but the better you are at them, the easier Snake is.

M3zm3r1z3

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that dash up c stick messes me up alot sometimes, I've noticed you just have to stay in the air when fighting Snake.

Fredd

Smash Apprentice
Pay close attention to Snake`s down:A and/or down:B explosives.
Like others have said, keeping, or using, your Red Pikmin is a priority.

KMAY

Smash Apprentice
I love fighting snakes, lol because they think they are so great. But yea vs snake just basically block his f tilt, that is what they always try to use, so just shield and grab.

_Vulcan_

Smash Cadet
ALWAYS block the f tilt and it pushes juss far enuff so that u can go into a shield grab and still be safe if u miss. Red pikmin own and try and save the U smash until your ready to kill I try and latch whites into grab combos that works to rack the damage

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Honestly those two Mr X videos I feel more proved people don't know how to fight against Olimar more so than the Olimar knew how to beat up a snake 0,o Anyway wanted to add this, it isn't that old, the OP has a good starting point breakdown of the characters, and its got a lot of my thoughts on the match up a couple posts later, copy pasting the link was easier than the entire thread so....

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164750

-True

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'm trying to argue my point in the matchup chart thread that olimar has an advantage over snake. this is one of the responses i got:

I've only recently started to pick up Snake and it's the same for my brother with Olimar, so maybe all that i have to say only applies to novices. But basically from what i can tell...

An intelligent Snake will win out against an Olimar.

Reason being
1. A smart Snake will know Olimars range and stay out of it until an opportunity presents itself
2. Snake's camping game is far superior to Olimar's
3. Snake's primary attacks send Olimar flying
3.a Easy vertical kills from C4, Claymore, UpTilt, Dtilt Uair
3.b Easy Horizontal kills from Ftilt, Bair, Jab combo, F&B throws and if not killed, easily gimped through edgehogging. I am aware that that can be avoided through throwing purple pikmin, but i doubt many can pull that off with ease.
4. Snake is heavy enough to take Olimar's overpowered hits well with proper DI
5. Snake's mindgame potential > Olimar's and pretty much every other character in the game
6. Against a campy Olimar Snake's Dash attack plows through and kills thrown pikmin I believe (could be mistaken here)
7. Boost-smash/Dash attack = quick attack/retreat for spacing

Olimar's advantages over Snake:
1. better range for close combat
2. better aerial game overall
3. Can rack up damage very quickly if given the opportunity

And that's all that i can think off the top of my head
thoughts? #2 is kinda rediculous if you ask me.

Top Bottom