• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs Samus

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
So what's the key to this match up? The projectiles aren't a huge issue and I feel like I should be able to combo her well, but it doesn't quite seem like it. I'm always getting Naired out of my combos and approaching seems really dangerous, since a lot of her moves go right through falcon's nair.

For that matter, is Dthrow > Knee guaranteed on her? I know she's a weird sorta floaty because she's so heavy, but I can't tell if it makes many of the go-to combos nonfunctional or just differently executed.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not getting destroyed, but I can't quite seem to get the matchup right.

eskimoparade

Smash Apprentice
i do not nair much against samus outside of combos because it tends to get stuffed, but im bad so who knows.

if you can force some shield pressure you are golden due to her lousy grab but i tend to throw out more knees per capita in this fight than most. i should probably check the melee matchup thread and learn a bit more about it.

As for the combo bit it seems like you either need to tighten up your nair strings or if you know you cant make it just go for the uair where its safer. dthrow knee is hard to tell for me so i may have to take it to the lab as i really dont know it well enough -_-

seems dthrow to anything is really DI dependent and uthrow to uairs are much more reliable as samus has little she can do when above you.

Last edited:

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
My general strategy is to crowd Samus with a really aggro Falcon so those projectiles can't destroy me.
I've never really had problems with the missles. We can nair right through them. They're only ever really a threat when I'm recovering or when I'm waking up into them.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dthrow past 40-50% is OK, but it's not so good at lower % due to how quickly they can Nair generally. I don't know the exact %'s off-hand.

The Uthrow vs Dthrow tradeoff is this: Uthrow always gives you an advantaged position, but may not give you the strongest followups because she will start to fly up pretty far and avoid Knee attempts sooner than you'd think. Dthrow does not always yield a free hit, or great positioning, but it becomes quite hard for her to escape Knee attempts in the... 40-80% range or something? Dthrow to Knee is legit guaranteed on Samus for a decent range, and it's the preferred throw once she's past 50% or so because the absolute best you could manage with Uthrow at that point is usually an Uair. Even if you are directly at the edge, Dthrow will probably be better as you force her to DI out to avoid the Knee, while maybe getting to pressure her recovery or her attempts to get back onstage

If you get a low % throw, your best bet is to pick up or down, and then bait out their jump or their Nair. Keeping the positional advantage that the throw gave you is more important than trying to force probably just a single "smack" out of the throw.

Top Bottom