• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS Rosa-Luma and KO Uppercut question.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
first things first, I recently fought a decent Rosalina player on For Glory, and had trouble even when playing Shulk. this one, while it used the Dash attack frequently, for some reason was able to juggle me with Upsmash with the occasional Up Air at higher percents,

further matches revealed it was predominantly the Luma's version of the Upsmash that gets me, Slip counter gets grabbed often, so that's not reliable, and the Luma doesn't seem to stray far for long. it's pretty clear this player knows what they're doing, and since I'm not familiar with a skilled Rosaluma, I'm a bit stuck. I know for sure that getting rid of Luma is top priority to get an offensive going, but if Rosalina's right next to it shield grabbing my attempts, I'm not too sure what to do.

meanwhile, I've noticed now and then that when I whiff my KO punches, there seems to be some kind of sourspot right behind Little Mac that does the sound and close-up, but barely has any major knockback or damage despite being on the ground. it's usually struck by accident, and while it gives me enough time to make some distance, it baffles me to no end, what's up with it?

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
When the fight begins, focus on Luma, as you know. The best way to do this is to simply dash attack Luma while sent out. Otherwise, throw Rosalina away from Luma, then attack Luma. Once Luma is gone, however, you don't have much time to start on the offensive. Since Rosalina will likely shield, you need to keep your throws and multi-hit attacks in mind. If your opponent is one who spams sidesteps, slip behind them and hold A to rapid-jab. If not, go for a grab -> dthrow -> Up-B. It's not the strongest combo, but it can be a high % kill and a good way to start juggling for when Luma returns.
I've never had that with the KO, I've hit behind me but it's always been a full KO.
Bonus tip: If you take a stock from your opponent and have a KO punch, dtilt -> Fsmash UPPERCUT -> KO punch.

Last edited:

Alain

Smash Cadet
Hey, I main both little-mac and Rosalina so I understand the match up really well. It's not easy but if you understand all of Rosalina's options it's not possible for a Rosalina to beat you unless the player is PHENOMENAL. The reason I say that is because she has no safe way to approach you. She can either dash attack you or dash grab.

There tends to be a lot of dash attack Rosalina's on for glory and it is SUPER EASY to punish, just sit in shield and judge weather or not she is going to pass you. Which ever side of you she lands on punish with a forward tilt or, if you perfect shielded, punish with a smash attack. You should see the grab coming if it is. If the player becomes very campy and is hanging out by the edge they'll tend to start grabbing because you are little-mac and they are scared. Now all her other attacks come out slow, with the exception of her forward tilt and down tilt, and those moves don't really do much but poke you so you shouldn't be scared. Punish all the slow moves and you should rack up damage easily.

What Rosalina really wants to do against you is throw you up. If you are in the air she can juggle you with her u-air, and there is nothing you can do about it. Just hope to dodge on time. Then she can psyche you out and k.o. you with her up-smash, which is a very good move for her as it is usually fresh when she gets to use it.

Now for my favorite part, and the reason why she can't really beat little-mac. When she's in the air!!!
^ Dude, if you hit her in the air, she's one of the top 5 lightest characters in the game, she takes forever to fall, and her dair sucks balls. She has no options but to hope she doesn't get hit. So if you can hit her close enough to landing she will start getting scared. The second she gets scared she'll start dodging to get back to the stage. If you get her to dodge before she lands her landing lag will be through the roof because she is slow as ****. Then you get to launch her again with either a dash attack or even an up-smash. Now you put the fear in her heart. She won't want to dodge because of landing lag but she wont want to get hit so she's ****ting bricks.

Also her up+b trajectory can't really be changed much so Remember to nab her at the edge.

P.S. Don't listen to that dude above me never rely on up+b as a combo it's too risky.

Last edited:

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
The Up-B combo isn't risky as long as you hold forward during the move.

Top Bottom