• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs Palutena?

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Seriously, all I keep hearing is Palutena's bad this and lag that but whenever I've looked into the replay channel I've never seen her lose to anyone let alone jr. Only exception was once. Against Falcon. And it wasn't even a good 'tena player. And Falcon fluked a lot.

I've actually seen more favourable matches out of Diddy Kong and Shiek and just about anyone who's highly rated at all for Jr. It seems like they all go "spam downthrow+air about 7 times then spam smashes guaranteed win" how do you even fight that?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You probably see more Diddys and Sheiks losing online because a) there's more of them due to
word of mouth, and b) those same players haven't put any real work into those characters due to expecting
easy wins. It's also possible that many people are unaccustomed to facing her due to how little representation
she gets (kind of like Jr. at some point) and so get completely blindsided as most players who use her know what
they're doing. Trust me, even if you use a particular character, it's a WHOLE different story when you've
never had that character used against you.

I'm confused by your last sentence, is it referring to Palutena? Because while I do see the great number
of Dthrow followups, spamming smashes with her is just asking to be punished.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Okay, here's a brief overview of what Palutena can do:

- Incredibly fast dash speed
- Jab can halt almost any approach
- Is invincible during dash attack / b-air
- Smashes are very powerful, high KO potential
- U-air has among the highest aerial priority out of any character's aerials
- D-air spikes if it connects
- Can space with neutral-b
- Can reflect projectiles with side-b

Usual combos are:

- Jab -> d-throw
- D-throw -> u-air
- D-throw - f-air
- Jab -> dash
- Jab -> u-smash
- U-tilt -> n-air

Now what you have to remember is that Palutena is fast on her feet, but immensely slow to attack. All of her smashes have high commitment, and if she whiffs them, she's wide open for punishment. Her tilts are also slow and easily intercepted, with the possible exception of her d-tilt, which is must quicker and has little endlag. Palutena wants to keep you guessing and keep you at arm's length until she's committed and prepared to fight you. But she'll always try to fight you on her own terms, so your job is to outsmart her and, of course, don't let her read you.

Palutena needs to read to be effective. She'll stay back and study your moves until she's confident that she can think ahead of you, and because her smashes are so powerful yet slow, she'll save them for punishment. If you play sloppily or predictably, she will exploit that and she will hit you down hard. She can use her neutral-b to pressure or poke from afar and get you to approach her, at which point she has a variety of options: jab is the most common one, as it halts your approach and sets up for her to grab you.

Palutena's grab is another huge point to consider when facing her. She has low grab range, but her throws, while not too powerful themselves, can lead into some pretty dangerous combos. She can d-throw -> f-air repeatedly to drag you across the stage, or d-throw -> u-air, which can kill at mid-high percentages. If you're off-stage, be wary, as she can spike you with her d-air if you're slow to recover - she has a window of opportunity when Junior is prepping his up-b, so be careful of that. If you feel she's getting cocky and trying impatiently for a d-air spike, you can use the explosion caused by your up-b to catch her off-guard and make a hasty retreat.

Your projectiles will be dangerous to use here, since she can reflect them at her leisure. Your cannonballs in particular are dangerous to use, as she'll see them coming and will bounce them right back at you, and she can gimp off-stage with her barrier as well. Approach cautiously, as her jab is arguably her greatest weapon, and beware punishment for whiffing your smashes.

Long story short: always keep on your toes and don't be afraid to punish Palutena if she whiffs her smashes. She wants to pressure you to goad you into attacking, then read your moves and punish you. She can be easily exploited if you keep an eye on her, though, and perform your own read-punishes. She may seem strong and adaptable at first glance - and that's because she is - but so are you, and you have just as many tools in your moveset to adapt and beat her.

If you want to practice, add me and we'll have a few games. I'd love to help you improve and figure out some tips and tricks for Junior while I'm at it! :3

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Her standing grab has more range than it looks, particularly vertically. Pre-patch at least,
I was able to shield grab a Greninja right out of his Dair.

Her tilts also have the odd quirk of continuing even when they get clanked... but the rest
of the attack gets cancelled regardless. :facepalm:

Fsmash and Dsmash both have weak windboxes (Dsmash is still really punishable, though), and
her Usmash lingers a little bit so mind your approach. And her Nair does a good job of catching airdoges.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Faced a strong Palutena today and got crushed.
She's almost like diddy in her reliance on grabs. Down throw to multiple Fairs or a Nair/Uair will quickly rack up %...
If she's jabbing like there's no tomorrow, approach with Kart dash and Nair/Fair her. Be careful though because if she shields it you're going to get HOO HAH'd.
Watch out for that ridiculously huge usmash. Especially returning to the stage...
I managed to edgeguard the crap out of her, and score most of my kills with offstage Fair and Bairs.
That being said, watch out when recovering from the ledge. Palutena most likely will fish for a grab, and she's fast enough to nab you if you have almost any lag.
Focus on SAFE LANDINGS after your aerials. If they miss, do your best NOT to land in range of her so she can grab.
Also, your grab is crap, but you'll need it to punish whiffed smashes. Speaking of which, the windbox will make it harder for you to punish them.
Will edit more later.

Top Bottom