• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

vs metaknight

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
wow,dude. read the threads that are currently posted. there's a million of em in the olimar section about MK specifically.

/end thread

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
theres nothing that really goes into detail much at all or is helpful at all, I think this is one of his most problem matchups so I think it warrants a new discussion..

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Watch out for his neutralB, it really is a pain in the ***. Eh, his upB can be quite nasty to KO you as well, so dodge at the right moment.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i would say keep your distance and grab like hell. we all know his priority and his range is pretty good, however its not longer than your grab (if i'm not mistaken) so just stay away and when he comes at u, grab/shield grab. also practice your spacing, such as sh f-air while DIing away from him. thats i guess the only advice i can really say. hope it helps, i kinda need a specific question to be of more aid

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
That's a tough match-up...I would usually just keep my distance between that guy and continually toss Pikmin....If he uses Side-B, shield and grab.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm sorry bout my earlier comment Nicktendo, but grr.. i hate to say this, but there isn't much to post ABOUT MK. he doesn't have any good approaches that work w/out a counter. if u stay as a defensive player, then he shouldn't be a huge problem. And with everything MK does, olimar has a possible counter to. :/ At the pro levels where there isn't a lot of room for error, i predict MK will be an easy matchup for olimar. (please don't flame me on this) Plus, MK doesn't have any strong finishers. all he can do is get in your face. (sorry MK users, i don't mean that as an insult.I have to admit, he's fun to play as though. :))

I'm not saying it's easy peasy for me or that i'm already professional grade, it's just that the more practice ppl get against him, i think he'll become easier and easier to play against because his moveset will eventually become easy to counter. I may be totally and completely wrong on this whole post, btw. don't quote me 2 years from now. please.

keeper

Smash Champion
Grab MK out of his sword range then go from there with Usmashes and Uairs. That's about all you can do is out range him and try not to get gimped.

koloblican11763

Smash Apprentice
OK
I just figured this out today. Olimar just became my new main so I don't have any tips that include super awesome moves but if you wanna win or at least pose a challenge listen up.

MK is a freaking beast. We all know this. His moves are way too fast, his b moves are cheaper then hell and have priority five million, and his recovery is awesome. But the thing about him is, if you can dodge or at least only take a little bit of his b moves, and stay clear of his smashes he's a freakin sinch.

All you really have to do is stay OUT OF THE AIR, which seemed to me as blasphemy before with Olimar, but it works, and do not approach him. It seems to me that most good MK players never grab, and that they are always rushing, because their only defense is their sword. But if they are dashing towards you just shield grab them, over and over and over. From there you can use SH air moves to build up some damage, but never turn it into a full on air brawl or you will end up with no pikmin, and a lot of damage, if you arn't already dead.

In general if you just shield his wussy dash attack or any of his air moves, grab him and punish him afterwards you got the match in the bag. And the best smashes to use against him are the d smash and the u smash, u smash finishes at around 100% almost every time. Trust me. I had thought "Hey why not just go in the offensive" I got owned. Then I started to notice that MK ground game sucks and I came up with the above strategy Seriously once you start doing it you will say to yourself 'Why wasn't I doing this before?"

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
one of the only problems i have w/ MK is that he's too good at getting pikmen off himself before they do damage. this keeps me from throwing them as much as I would normally like to b/c I don't want MK to restore the damage/knockback of his moves. If i were u I wouldn't use olimar's pikmen as a defensive choice when the two of u are very distant from each other, but rather use it to distract MK and go in for a punch/grab/ etc. or to set up a combo.

BlinkyImp

Smash Rookie
The only real killer with MK is that he can follow you like crazy, so against a good MK player you could be stuck in the air for 6 or 7 hits before you can get away. Thus, the trick is to dodge like crazy. Don't try to fight back while in the air, just concentrate on getting the hell out of there. Other than that, you basically want to stay under MK whenever possible, as your u-smash and u-air will beat out his d-air (the only move he has for coming down) and additionally will kill quickly. If MK is coming for a gliding attack, place yourself a little before the spot he will land and u-smash him out of it; there's nothing MK can do about this, no matter how good he is, because it's so fast. This fight needs a lot of timing and spacing, plus lightning reflexes to get out of being juggled (I lose to good MK's myself), but a perfect Olimar should always be able to beat a perfect MK in my opinion.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Well, i play mk as my other main, so i have a couple tips i guess. Firstly, yes, his air game dominates, but his ground isn't terrible either. MK's down smash is absolutely ridiculous. The speed it comes out is amazing, and it has pretty good knockback too, so watch out for that. In fact, it's probably his best killer imo. Also, when i do the dash attack, i usually follow with a down smash, so don't let shield down yet. With his neutral b, i think the best thing to do might be to shield the whole thing if you can, and punish when its done. However, be careful, since I've actually used it to break shields before lol. uhh, oh and, my MK at least, i do grab occasionally, just to mix things up if they try to shield, since his down throw isn't that bad damage wise, and gets you in the air not far ahead of him, so spot dodging is pretty important too.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Basically all you can do is attempt to grab as much as you can. If you can get in some tosses I find those usually work, and if you get the chance try and go for a meteor off the edge, with a red or a purple pikmin he can go down at around 30-40%.

Izzhov

Smash Cadet
Is there any kind of good counter to his neutral B other than shielding?! It rarely works, because I've fought Meta Knights who have spammed Neutral B and when your shield gets too low you can't do a d*mn thing about it!

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
please disregard all of my earlier statements on this thread.(I still think I'm semi-correct on a lil bit of it) It was a long time ago when the game was pretty new.(It still is new, but still) I've come to realize that MK is indeed the most broken character in brawl.

Be sure to shield much more than you're used to. MKs love to attack with their wide variety of attacks much more than most of the time.

P.S.-don't use upsmash on him at all. I still haven't landed one...(i don't use it too often though)

Izzhov

Smash Cadet
That's great and all, but it doesn't at all answer my question.

ne_Ziggy

Smash Cadet
His neutral+b is kind of cheap, but if you can time it correctly (and I suggest you practice this a little, it's tricky) you can do an instant u-smash out of the shield right after his tornado finishes.

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
try going for the tether, it's a really underrated move that can safely knock most players out of whatever move they're doing.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Mk's tornado only surrounds him on his sides and underneath, so if you can get above him and do a meteor, even on to the stage will add on extra damage.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
hmm, this is kinda off topic, but it has MK in it...

ok, so my friend is starting to get angry at me for using olimar now... He mains Zelda/Sheik and has been using MK recently.(he's pretty good with both of them) I 3 stocked him recently-him as Zelda-me as olimar-and he started using MK for about 3 games(he usually uses MK in spurts of 1 game, then back to zelda for many more) He insisted that olimar was more broken than MK when i 2 stocked him twice. :/ He went crazy after that. I told him the characters that should beat olimar like yoshi, marth, and wolf. He tried using Marth a couple times and I still beat him pretty badly. I'd like to help him get better v me as olimar, but he keeps complaining that he's broken. Could y'all make short lists of tactics that MK uses against you, and that work about 80% of the time maybe?

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Only thing that works is the tornado spam and grabs. If he gets cocky about using the up air over and over he'll get stomped after I WAC or air dodge. Honestly if I have trouble fighting a meta knight I'll post a vid in this thread for your friend to watch. I think he may just be a bad player, I player a Zelda player all the time and it's even.

Top Bottom