• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

vs. Marth

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
Been watching a few videos, and i must say...Captain Olimar has a really tough time against Marth. I guess it also depends on the player who's using them, but i saw Marth killing Pikmin with the long range of his sword and his power 1 hit kill Pikmin without them even touching him. Also, Marth is really fast and evasive. Marth could easily kill the Pikmin thrown at him with a slash of his sword, and if long distance attacking doesnt help Captain Olimar, i dont know how Captain Olimar should approach Marth, since close up combat is just not quite good against Marth. Yet i could be wrong...

Discuss.

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
I heard somewhere that Olimar is pretty comparable to Marth. From the looks of things Olimar may end up being high-tier. But it really just depends on who's playing.

IllidR

Smash Champion
I heard somewhere that Olimar is pretty comparable to Marth. From the looks of things Olimar may end up being high-tier. But it really just depends on who's playing.
Ohhh nooo, that's exactly the opposite of what I wanted to hear!

Well, for fighting Marth I guess you'll just have to keep the Pikmin flowing against him, he can't block all of the Pikmin, and try to use whites because of their throw speed. Of course, try to use your throw on him as well, abuse your long-range stuff to keep your distance.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
Been watching a few videos, and i must say...Captain Olimar has a really tough time against Marth. I guess it also depends on the player who's using them, but i saw Marth killing Pikmin with the long range of his sword and his power 1 hit kill Pikmin without them even touching him. Also, Marth is really fast and evasive. Marth could easily kill the Pikmin thrown at him with a slash of his sword, and if long distance attacking doesnt help Captain Olimar, i dont know how Captain Olimar should approach Marth, since close up combat is just not quite good against Marth. Yet i could be wrong...

Discuss.
yea ive seen that vid, that olimar player as you can see just sucked really bad, he kept throwing pikmin even when the marth player was up close and putting loads of pressure on him, and that is what not to do while your playing an agressive marth or any other charcter at that matter. olimars pikmin is just like foxes gun characters can move right thru you while your throwing pikmin except for the purple pikmin (it will knock them back).

olimar is still good at close range battles, his pikmin gives his smashes reach, not as long as marth but close to it. So basiclly im trying to say pikmin still owns without pikmin throwing. yea thats his #1 move but his smashes and his distance still is long enough and do loads of dmg and have EXTREMLY GOOD KNOCKBACK dont relly on pikmin throwing. and also remember that every single pikmin is good for smashes except for the whites, so dont worry about a sucky pikmin getting moved up front b/c likely the pikmin getting moved up front isnt going to be white and if it is its throwing capabilities will surley hit
{so just throw them}.

AND REMEMBER olimars grab is deadly he has the longest grabing reach in the game plus he can keep throwing them like bullets, with almost no lag time at that :)

so throwing pikmin is only good if you no you have good spacing between you and your opponet.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, I had to fight a good Marth player today. That wasn't fun.

I managed to win (somehow), but by playing to Olimar's strengths. Olimar, just like Marth, has a disjointed hitbox, but instead of a sword he has pikmin. However, Olimar is also slightly quicker than Marth in certain areas, or maybe I was just faster than the guy I played against.

The two things you'll need to do the most is grab into an attack. Since your grab range is as long or longer than Marth's sword range (depending on pikmin) that part is easy enough. After that, you need to air dodge, a lot. Olimar is quicker with mid air strikes, in my opinion, and if you jump, your air dodge allows you to quickly move to either side of him often while avoiding his sword strikes. It's still not fullproof, but I did manage to win, even while he often jumped after me after flinging me off the ledge.

Pretty much any other sword/disjointed hitbox user will give Olimar the most trouble in this game.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, I had to fight a good Marth player today. That wasn't fun.

I managed to win (somehow), but by playing to Olimar's strengths. Olimar, just like Marth, has a disjointed hitbox, but instead of a sword he has pikmin. However, Olimar is also slightly quicker than Marth in certain areas, or maybe I was just faster than the guy I played against.

The two things you'll need to do the most is grab into an attack. Since your grab range is as long or longer than Marth's sword range (depending on pikmin) that part is easy enough. After that, you need to air dodge, a lot. Olimar is quicker with mid air strikes, in my opinion, and if you jump, your air dodge allows you to quickly move to either side of him often while avoiding his sword strikes. It's still not fullproof, but I did manage to win, even while he often jumped after me after flinging me off the ledge.

Pretty much any other sword/disjointed hitbox user will give Olimar the most trouble in this game.
so is the post that i said right or am i wrong?

Proven

Smash Apprentice
I added in to also use aerials. A lot of my kills are star KOs. :laugh:

The main point was that I was agreeing with you.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
I added in to also use aerials. A lot of my kills are star KOs. :laugh:

The main point was that I was agreeing with you.
o my bad lol i just wanted to see if i was right. i dont even have the game yet and just thought of something that i new would work

icy_icicle

Smash Journeyman
I have to disagree with the first post. I played Marth today with Olimar, and I feel that it's not as uneven as one would expect. Olimar's Fsmashes are faster than Marth's and have greater range. While its true that Marth kills your Pikmin easily, it's not that big of a problem, as they're easy to replace. Marth's edgeguarding game is severely weakened thanks to multiple air dodges, and most of Olimar's aerials have good priority.

Almost all the Olimars on the internet sort of suck...so I wouldn't base too much on them. Olimar is incredible, and his crappy tether isn't even that much of a gimp in my opinion.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
I have to disagree with the first post. I played Marth today with Olimar, and I feel that it's not as uneven as one would expect. Olimar's Fsmashes are faster than Marth's and have greater range. While its true that Marth kills your Pikmin easily, it's not that big of a problem, as they're easy to replace. Marth's edgeguarding game is severely weakened thanks to multiple air dodges, and most of Olimar's aerials have good priority.

Almost all the Olimars on the internet sort of suck...so I wouldn't base too much on them. Olimar is incredible, and his crappy tether isn't even that much of a gimp in my opinion.
so basicly the comment that i wrote above is correct right?

icy_icicle

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if you're right or wrong; I agree with most of what you say however. Olimar's disjointed hitboxes have...without a doubt...the longest range of smash attacks and grabs that I have ever seen.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
Olimar's Smashes are so strong, I have a tendency to save them as my kill moves. Or, I'll use one of them to attack often with (often the down smash) and then the other as the final blow. His Forward Smash does have more range than Marth, but not his Down Smash.

And yeah, I'll agree with you about the videos. Maybe I just take to weird characters better, but after a total of like 12 hours of experience over four days, I find myself seemingly better than 75% or so of Olimar players who have videos on youtube. It's saddening.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I find myself seemingly better than 75% or so of Olimar players who have videos on youtube. It's saddening.
Lol...anyway, is it really fair to start judging this matchup based on private competition and those two vids vs Marth? Many of the matchups as we see them now will probably change over the next two years. =/

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
This will change for sure, but so that doesn't mean we should wait two years to play the game or "expect" outcomes of certain matches. Ken was best in the world, including all the sheiks who were so favored against his Marth.

Being a SSBM Marth main let me say that worrying about your approach against marth is most likely not the right idea. I know this was more applicable in SSBM when wavedashing would allow for easy punishment of poor approach, but let the marth player be concerned with approaching you, he has no ranged move beyond swords length, don't forget it. Also with the more floaty physics this time around, the normal FAir shffl approach isn't as strong as before, let him come in trying to do that, punishing the increased time in the air by charging in late shield cancel grab, or if you have a good idea of his range once he gets close enough attempt to punish him with a back dash pivot grab. I personally am only going off of the grab range advantage spoken of before, I don't have the game yet to know how valid these ideas are, but do have insight to how certain paces and styles of play affected Marth previously.

Many players also have their own issues with certain characters, maybe its more you have trouble with marth than olimer does? I have no idea, and the reasons for marth to give olimar trouble are well explained, but that should inspire thoughts of how to counter the disadvantages. Only once a character has advantages that CAN'T be countered in any way is there an actual match up concern, and were far from knowing even what all counters are possible, so have faith you'll overcome it, think it through and keep playing hard =)

-True

Top Bottom