• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs Luigi help?

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Hey guys. I finally got back into being able to play locally, because I was unable to get down to town, and now I got a new car (to me at least) and I love it. So, I fought an old friend of mine via PM, and he had made a new main of his Luigi. And, for like three straight sets, that Luigi was the bane of my existence, and so I was wondering if you have any suggestions against Luigi. I'm a Roy that takes to the air a lot to try to keep my combos going, and I've found out it seems Luigi has RIDICULOUS priority.
So, I was wondering if anyone has any general strategies to fight Luigi. After a while I finally started winning again, where I believe I won six straight sets off him.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
Luigi is one of those MU's where you simply just cant take things very far because of his fast aerials and his nair being a bit of a combo breaker, so you kinda just have to respect that part of his kit. Approach the MU more with the intent to only get a couple hits in and then proceed to zone him to the edge rather than go for combo strings into finishers. To my understanding the MU isn't exactly in our favor atm because he's dificult to keep in combos and can cover a lot of ground in his recovery.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i dont know this MU all too well, but i can say this:

in a lot of MUs roy works in a neutral game dynamic that alternates grabs, dtilts, DEDs, and ftilts between DDs and WDs. often, he might have to choose a higher commitment option than dtilt because its so easy for characters to SH over it and hit you with an aerial. luigi doesnt have that option however. his neutral game is going to consist of fireballs, down bs, and ftilts probably. therefore, your lowest commitment option now becomes the top option in a lot of cases, since he doesnt have a quick SHFFL aerial approach to get over dtilt. you cant combo him too well, but roy works very well against floaties since its easy for him to keep them at bay in the air. once luigi gets airborne, its going to be extremely hard for him to land, ESPECIALLY since his horizontal air mobility is absolutely terrible. dair also works pretty well to combo floaties directly to a kill, and roy has better options to combo to kills against floaties than a good chunk of the rest of the cast. i dont think hes that hard to edge guard either, since everythings either pretty linear or predictable. just watch out for the misfires. luckily youre a FFer so youve got a bit more resistance to up bs.

Top Bottom