• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

vs Little Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Ah, Little Mac. DP almost appears to be designed to beat him. In my experience, he can't do much to you if you camp on the ledge properly and shoot arrows. Fall past the ledge, use all your jumps, Uspecial, grab ledge, drop off with down, jump, shoot arrow, and fall down and repeat. Use Fairs if he tries to get close. Yeah, this become what's potentially the slowest matchup in the game, but a win is a win in my book.

Once he's at a good %, (I'll usually go with 50%) get back on stage and get him off somehow. (Still working this part out for the good ones TBH.) Then edgeguard with the Electroshock until he fails to recover. It trumps both of his recoveries, I believe. Really, go ahead and try to hit him every time he recovers high. Don't do it when he's low though, as the Electroshock's lag kills you if you're below the edge of the stage.

D

Deleted member

Ah, Little Mac. DP almost appears to be designed to beat him. In my experience, he can't do much to you if you camp on the ledge properly and shoot arrows. Fall past the ledge, use all your jumps, Uspecial, grab ledge, drop off with down, jump, shoot arrow, and fall down and repeat. Use Fairs if he tries to get close. Yeah, this become what's potentially the slowest matchup in the game, but a win is a win in my book.

Once he's at a good %, (I'll usually go with 50%) get back on stage and get him off somehow. (Still working this part out for the good ones TBH.) Then edgeguard with the Electroshock until he fails to recover. It trumps both of his recoveries, I believe. Really, go ahead and try to hit him every time he recovers high. Don't do it when he's low though, as the Electroshock's lag kills you if you're below the edge of the stage.
First of all, arrows are easily avoided/shielded by Little Mac if he stalls on the other side of the stage. Secondly, nobody wins since arrows won't kill. Little Mac's Forward Smash downwards/Down Smash can hit you out of the Up B after you finish your wimpy arrow stall. And we haven't even talked about his offstage options.
Yeah. Little Mac's Nair can easily catch your Up B or jump after you arrow stall and gimp you. There are ways to beat Little Mac, but that isn't one of them.

Coffee™

I need it....
First of all, arrows are easily avoided/shielded by Little Mac if he stalls on the other side of the stage. Secondly, nobody wins since arrows won't kill. Little Mac's Forward Smash downwards/Down Smash can hit you out of the Up B after you finish your wimpy arrow stall. And we haven't even talked about his offstage options.
Yeah. Little Mac's Nair can easily catch your Up B or jump after you arrow stall and gimp you. There are ways to beat Little Mac, but that isn't one of them.
Arrows are useful for racking damage and interrupting Mac's approaches and spacing options, but you definitely can't spam them. They're also really useful against a mac recovering from above the ledge for more or less the same reasons.

As for Mac's offstage options though...he pretty much has none against a P/DP recovering low.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
At low %s and if DP were to stall below the ledge for as long as possible, that's enough invincibility to get off an attack, typically a Fair due to it's long reach.

Arrows just mean Mac has to stay close or risk getting hit by more arrows. DP will either win by % lead or by superior Sudden Death survival.

I've had Macs smart/crazy enough to try and jump off and attack me in the air, but I'd typically win the clash. Gimping DP with Mac simply isn't an option. Only point one could with his wimpy air moves are at near-max range of DP's Uspecial, but Mac can't come back from that and there's a very good chance of just whiffing with how fast it is. At close range, you're just making it easier for me to get to the ledge since DP gets it back in this game after getting hit.

And I'm pretty sure Dtilt and Dsmash don't hit DP on the ledge. Dtilt definitely. Dsmash is projected enough for DP to hit him with an aerial.

And then I haven't even had a good chance to use DP's Dspecial for gimping anybody, much less Mac. Imagine if it stops his Sspecial.

A Gray Person

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gray21oh
3DS FC
1719-3271-0480
Both Pit's in general I find to have a pretty easy time tossing Mac off stage though since this is Dark Pit we're talking about I'd say use side b when you think you have a chance and certain Mac doesn't have any super armor up. I think Pittoo might even have a small advantage over Pit with this match up since Electroshock sends Mac a fair distance off the stage, though I could be wrong when the arm launches them near the top right corner or the stage.

But then I always had the mind set that Dark Pit's Electroshock gave him a better off stage game once I compared the two for myself.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
In this one match I played, I was waiting for Little Mac to respawn from a KO. I stood waiting at the edge, and let him run straight for me. Then, I proceeded to jump over his head as he immediately Jolt Haymaker'd over the edge and into the void below, resulting in a win for me.
Best For Glory match I have ever participated in.

Seriously though, from my own personal experience, I find that aggravating Little Mac with arrows first will generally convince him that you'll sit there attempting to spam him all day, and he'll run in to get the punish on the ending lag from your next shot. This is an opening for you to do basically whatever, probably either an F-Smash or Side B. Little Mac tends to force my game into a very defensive playstyle. His jab is both very deadly and very predictable. I mean, what Little Mac isn't going to go for the jab? It's usually best for me to dodge away from the jab, and go in for the grab.

Once you have the grab and toss, it's basically the game over, as Pit and Dark Pit are both very proficient at edge guarding. Their aerials are great to keep him away; his Dair is always tempting, but make sure your timing and spacing are on point. All of his aerials are great however, but his Nair is good for creating a kind of wall in front of the stage, rejecting his recovery attempt.

Neverbound

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wulfiepaw
Switch FC
5778-4164-2795
Only use your jab attack when he's close and camp, camp, camp and play as lame as possible. D-tilt is a pretty safe move to use against him and camp the edge of a ledge for throws. Upthrow him and bait counters for max damage

Ziem'sPit

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darklink2nd
3DS FC
0602-6753-0653
Playing against Mac as Dark Pit is a chore. My usual tactic for dealing with them is just bait at the edge for a back throw and try to gimp. If you can, interrupt his approach with Arrows. Don't do the arrows if he gets too close because he might try to counter. It would be easier to force them to take the fight to the air if all of his powerful attacks didn't have the most ridiculous armor I've ever seen. Dude knocked me out of an electroshock arm recovery and didn't flinch.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Stay always one step at max from the ledge.
Try to BThrow or Spotdoge->Jab/Ftilt them out the stage the max you can... I made a guide in another thread about how deal with a L.Mac out of the stage in many positions, should I repost here ?

SullyJay

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dejay15
3DS FC
4081-6913-3923
Little Mac used to be a problem for me, then I learned what a Shield Grab was.

I remember one match I had against a Little Mac where I tossed him off stage, He could still recover with his side b so I used my side be and hit him through his for a K.O.

Ecchin

ᴛʜᴇ ᴠᴏʟɴᴜᴛᴛ
NNID
Generic_Panic
Little Mac players tend to be aggresive, his aerials sucks

the best way to fight them is

DThrow + aerials

and if he is trying to recover you can try to do down b

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Little Mac Tips

What to do

• Edguard him with a ftilt when he's under the stage performing his up b
  • Punish his side b move with a ftilt
  • Grab to dash attack or upsmash
  • Roll behind Little Mac when he does his rapid jab move.
  • Wait patiently for Little Mac to make his move when he's in the air.
  • Before making an attempt to grab, dash up to him, then jump back to see what he does
  • Empty Nairs to zone him out can be a bait to for him to approach.
  • When hanging off the ledge, jump above Little Mac.
  • Has anyone tested to see if its even possible to gimp his side b move with Guardian Orbitars?

Not to do

• Don't dash grab after he dsmashes
  • For the love of god, please DO NOT DASH ATTACK. You will get wrecked.
  • Don't uthrow
  • Don't side b upperdash arm
  • Upon landing, don't use aerials
  • Never ledge attack.

Last edited:

Donut Steel

Smash Cadet
Little Mac Tips
  • Has anyone tested to see if its even possible to gimp his side b move with Guardian Orbitars?
Sorry for the necropost, but I feel it worth noting that while I don't know if you can do this to Little Mac's side B move, you can do it to his up B move. I'd also offer the advice of never trying to stop a Straight Lunge or Smash charge-up with the arrows, they can't break his super armour.

Last edited:

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
I'd also offer the advice of never trying to stop a Straight Lunge or Smash charge-up with the arrows, they can't break his super armour.
Super armour can't be broken with anything. Super armour unaffected by ALL KB, heavy armour has a damage threshold.

As a Little Mac, a few tips here aren't as effective as other options. Hardest DP match-ups use delayed tomahawks and generally play like a jiggly****. Good Little Macs will spotdodge or 1 frame jab to prevent grabs, and the best will space to prevent shield grabs. Depending on the attacks, you might be able to dash attack, but I'm not 100% on the effectiveness here. Definitely varies move to move. It's all gimp gimp gimp though. Fair/Bair him across the stage, dair if you can sweet it to pop him up. Then DP does exactly that to LM offstage. Either arrow him right after his double, or just orbiters on either b used for recovery.

@ LancerStaff LancerStaff Dash -> Dsmash, approach -> dtilt, run -> dash attack. You're down too far to prevent approaching LMs. You sound like you're playing FG Little Macs. His Dsmash does indeed hit below the ledge, LM is a pretty good edgeguard, almost as good as Bowser in PM. If you're in the air, but on LMs level or lower while he's on the ground, you're going to have a bad time. DP has plenty of good options on the stage, and can make this a really quick match. 0 reason for DPvLM to go to % win.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Super armour can't be broken with anything. Super armour unaffected by ALL KB, heavy armour has a damage threshold.

As a Little Mac, a few tips here aren't as effective as other options. Hardest DP match-ups use delayed tomahawks and generally play like a jiggly****. Good Little Macs will spotdodge or 1 frame jab to prevent grabs, and the best will space to prevent shield grabs. Depending on the attacks, you might be able to dash attack, but I'm not 100% on the effectiveness here. Definitely varies move to move. It's all gimp gimp gimp though. Fair/Bair him across the stage, dair if you can sweet it to pop him up. Then DP does exactly that to LM offstage. Either arrow him right after his double, or just orbiters on either b used for recovery.

@ LancerStaff LancerStaff Dash -> Dsmash, approach -> dtilt, run -> dash attack. You're down too far to prevent approaching LMs. You sound like you're playing FG Little Macs. His Dsmash does indeed hit below the ledge, LM is a pretty good edgeguard, almost as good as Bowser in PM. If you're in the air, but on LMs level or lower while he's on the ground, you're going to have a bad time. DP has plenty of good options on the stage, and can make this a really quick match. 0 reason for DPvLM to go to % win.
It's been quite awhile since I wrote that, yaknow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom