• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS Jigglypuff

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
most problem characters I seem to have trouble with are lightweights who can float, while I've had varying success with Peach, Jigglypuff is one I tend to lose more than I win, and it bugs me.

most puffs will stay in the air as is the general MO, but what makes them trouble is that because they float, they can air dodge my attacks and counter with another aerial, and staying ahead is tough when she's chaining aerials on me...

what's the general strategy in dealing with aggressive puffs, especially ones who are ready to use Rest when I'm at 80+ percent?

Play defensively. Focus on outranging her which means using u-tilt, f-air, n-air and b-air against her aerials. Space carefully because Puff's aerials hit hard. Don't touch jab. Use d-tilt for standard ground spacing.

Things to worry about:
- Her aerials
- Pound
- Dat b-air
- Rest
- Nair

Last edited:

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I presume in terms of monado arts, Shield and buster aren't recommended...?

I presume in terms of monado arts, Shield and buster aren't recommended...?
Shield is important because pound ****s on shield (w/o Monado shield buff)

Buster is alright or great (Depends really)

Speed is great

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Shield mode is great because the increased shield strength really helps for when she uses aerials or Pound, & Buster is a toss-up.

Jigglypuff in general, use OoS > U-tilt when her aerials make contact with your bubble shield. Watch out if she decides to crouch, because your jab will whiff & so will your F-smash angled upward (but then again, you shouldn't be doing this often anyway).

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
all right, now how would I be able to finish her, once I get her damage up to par? I figure there's more than just going Monado Smash and using the same attacks, right?

Use whatever killing moves. Counter, b-air, u-air, any smash. Don't get too jumpy with them. You might get punished. Use smash art (Unless you're at a high %)

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I... guess it mainly is using the same attacks... with Vision among the mix...

here's to Puffs being easier to handle, then. :smash:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
If you jab you're dead. She has essentially guaranteed Rest off your Jab so unless you want to die, forget about it.

Last edited:
She can guarantee pretty much anything off Shulk's jab

I'm not sure I was exaggerating or not

Whatever, just don't touch jab against Puff.

Last edited:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I concur with what was said her about playing defensively. I actually feel this matchup is quite strongly in Shulk's favour as NAir and FAir beat her entire moveset assuming you space them well. Puff tends to stick in the air so simply challenge her approaches with your own FAirs and NAirs to keep her off you. Jump isn't all that good in this matchup in my opinion as it keeps you in the air longer than you want to be. The main time you want to be using Jump is if she gets you offstage so she doesn't gimp/edgeguard you. Against Puff since her recovery is so good you're honestly better off going for raw kills than edgeguards. Imo, Speed, Buster and Shield are the way to go. Shield especially is probably more useful in this match-up than most due to being able to survive against Rest until much higher percents (I've survived Rests at 100%+ in Shield) as well as taking less shield damage from Pound.

And of course remember to capitalise on those whiffed Rests (or if you're in Monado Shield, confirmed Rests XD). Fully charged USmash in Vanilla kills Puff at around 40-45% (I've cleanly killed a Puff with one 49% while Shield was activated), even earlier in Smash

Top Bottom