• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS. Ganondorf

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
At one time people was talking about Specific matchups but there wasn't one about Ganondorf. I wanted to know if there was any advice that could be given concerning the matchup. Stages to fight on and specific battle plan. There's a possibility i'm playing Eiklemann next weekend at my area tournament and i want to be ready.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Egg shenanigans all day through in general for Ganon but then Eik is a far better Ganon than I've ever played against.

Cordless

Smash Rookie
I'm quite new to posting and I don't consider myself a very high-level player, but I'll give me two cents on this matchup.

The most obvious stage strike in my opinion is Yoshi's story, Ganon has the easiest platform tech-chases and earliest kills on that stage. My favourite stage in the matchup is actually Final Destination. While you lose platform movement options, Ganon relies a lot of platforms to move around too, and in the case where both characters have to do without, Yoshi comes out on top with superior base mobility and speed. Just space with eggs and around his aerials carefully and look out for the stray Wizard's Foot.

Ganon's moves are large, slow (except for jab), and all but two are single hit, which makes parrying great against Ganon. Shield and parry grabbing can be used in mix-ups as Ganon players may not expect the lack of additional shield-stun that other characters suffer; shield-dropping is also especially good for this reason as in many other matchups. Almost all of Ganon's attacks will knock Yoshi's lightshield back a good distance and he lacks the speed or projectiles to chase making it a reliable way to get out of pressure.

Do NOT rely on super-armour. Ganon's aerials for the most part out-range Yoshi's but most importantly will knock Yoshi out of his double-jump super-armour quite easily. Avoid recovering low as getting stomped off-stage will most likely kill you, armour or not, as Yoshi cannot meteor-cancel.

General edge-guarding is similar to Captain Falcon, Ganon has limited options for recovery. Try to go for lower off-the-side kills as he is heavy and will be able to make it back to the stage with double jump refreshing if he survives a star KO. Personally, I like to challenge him off-stage after he Up-B's because worst case getting grabbed in the air refreshes your jump but that might not the best idea. Egg spam until he dies or gets close enough for a down-tilt/smash is probably a much better option and be careful not to get hit by that grabbox.

That's all I could think of off the top of my head, hope this helps.

Last edited:

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Great advice Cordless! I just wanted to point out that Yoshi can actually meteor cancel with Up + B like other characters, but it isn't useful unless you manage to grab the edge while falling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom