• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vindication! Smash Ultimate IS an enhanced port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fledge

Smash Cadet
I called it! Man, after SO many Smash players over-hyped by the tease reveal trailer dismissed my opinion that Smash for Switch would most likely be an enhanced port of Smash 4 with new characters/modes/maps/etc., it's sweet, SWEET justice to see that Smash Ultimate is exactly what I thought it would be.

This is a vindication thread for all the naysayers and party-poopers who doubted the mob and were doubted in turn. To everyone blinded by hype who said the game would absolutely be new from the ground up.... no hard feelings, the new Smash Ultimate looks like it'll be fun and new enough to please everyone. I mean Snake, Wolf, Pokemon Trainer, Pichu, Ice Climbers and Toon Link are back, right?

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I knew this was gonna happen even before the game was revealed. The word port has lost all meaning. It may be reusing assets from the Wii U, but this is a sequel under all standards.

Last edited:

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what you want more to not make it a port at all
It has
-New Art Style
-New Characters
-New Stages
-New Items
-New Mechanics
-New HUD style
-New Theme

and returning things from past game
Every new smash has done that, I don't know why people can't accept this is a sequel any more than Smash 4 was a sequel to Brawl

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This definitely isn't a port, as certain fighters have received large adjustments to their attacks and Final Smashes. For an example, Giga Bowser, Wario-Man, and Giga Mac no longer operate like fully playable fighters.

Fledge

Smash Cadet
its not a port though.
LOL Wow, what are you all on about? It IS a port, an ENHANCED port. There hasn't been a port yet to the Switch that wasn't updated, remastered, or given new features to sell the game, and Smash Ultimate is OBVIOUSLY just Smash 4 updated, remastered and given new features.

Don't let stubborn pride keep you from admitting you were wrong. You can't just change the goalposts and definitions so you can maintain the game is essentially new when it isn't, but I guess human nature being what it is I should have seen this coming.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It clearly is built on top of Smash Wii U, that is undeniable. Pay close attention to the graphics and character models, those are Smash Wii U graphics and models with fancy new effects. Before someone mention the different mechanics, you don't to build a brand new game to change mechanics.

Is it an enhanced port? I wouldn't call it that, but it is also not a brand new game, like 64, Melee, Brawl and Smash 4 were. While I wouldn't call it a port, it IS pretty much a Smash Bros. Deluxe. It brings content from all games and more, and make them better. How is that not a Smash Deluxe?

I said a bunch of times here that considering the short development time, it wouldn't be a brand new game and that we also wouldn't get a lot of newcomers (Sakurai himself confirmed, telling the fans to not expect a lot of new challengers). People threw rocks at me, but I was kinda right, in the end. It is not a brand new game.

I was also right on this: It didn't matter in the end. Everyone is hyped. The game looks awesome. Ridley is playable, Inklings are playable. All good so far.

Last edited:

Nexus Nova

Smash Rookie
If we're going by that logic then you also have to admit that Smash 4 is an enhanced port of Brawl too.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It seems to be a new game, but it may be a nearly all new game like Splatoon 2.

Also, topics solely to gloat are not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom