• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager will get the Diddy Kong bandwagon

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
(You may find this a good thing to happen)

With the exception of being a slightly overpowered character. I predict that Villager will get the Diddy bandwagon. I have seen more and more players using Villager, but mostly because he is a powerful character. Sure, he has some bad MU's, but he is quite a force to be dealt with if you don't know what you're doing. It also doesn't help that Villager isn't too hard to learn. He doesn't require a big learning curve when using Mega Man, but he doesn't require a lot of work when mastering Diddy.

If a Villager wins a major tourney, nearly everyone will try to use him. I guarantee it.

Last edited:
Why exactly is this a bad thing? What good reason is there for wanting our character to be underrepresented? >__>

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Why exactly is this a bad thing? What good reason is there for wanting our character to be underrepresented? >__>
I should've mentioned that some people may find this good.

Well, in the Diddy bandwagon. There will be people who think Villy is OP when he isn't if this ever happens. People will start begging Samurai for a nerf on Villy when he doesn't need one.

Also, a character getting popular about being supposedly overpowered is not a good image for the character. A tier ***** character gets bad reputation.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
If Customs become a thing, everyone will play Villy.

If not, he will continue as a good character that is underrepresented.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Bowser is OP!
Mac is OP!
Rosalina is OP!
Diddy is OP!
Villager is OP!
Tomorrow..
Wii Fit Trainer is OP!

They'll get over it. The meta is always shifting, and people always hate whoever ends up at the top.
We won't have a solid top for years, probably, and every above average character will have their time to be hated.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Bowser is OP!
Mac is OP!
Rosalina is OP!
Diddy is OP!
Villager is OP!
Tomorrow..
Wii Fit Trainer is OP!

They'll get over it. The meta is always shifting, and people always hate whoever ends up at the top.
We won't have a solid top for years, probably, and every above average character will have their time to be hated.
But through it all, Sheik has remained #1 =P

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Bowser is OP!
Mac is OP!
Rosalina is OP!
Diddy is OP!
Villager is OP!
Tomorrow..
Wii Fit Trainer is OP!

You have never fought a good Villager haven't you?

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
You have never fought a good Villager haven't you?
I have.
Just saying, this goes in cycles.
Today Diddy. Tomorrow Villager, Next, who knows?

Villager is among the best in the game, and like every character who is among the best, he'll have his time to be hated before the next character.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I have.
Just saying, this goes in cycles.
Today Diddy. Tomorrow Villager, Next, who knows?

Villager is among the best in the game, and like every character who is among the best, he'll have his time to be hated before the next character.
Even if that is true. He will be known as "one of those" characters if this and what you described happens.

I should've mentioned that some people may find this good.

Well, in the Diddy bandwagon. There will be people who think Villy is OP when he isn't if this ever happens. People will start begging Samurai for a nerf on Villy when he doesn't need one.

Also, a character getting popular about being supposedly overpowered is not a good image for the character. A tier ***** character gets bad reputation.
People have been saying Diddy Kong is OP for a long time now and the character has received no nerfs. The only character this has happened to is Rosalina, and even as a Rosalina main I do think most of those nerfs were well deserved. I really REALLY doubt Sakurai would nerf Villager just because people whine about it because objectively the character needs no nerfs and the dev team can probably see that.

I dont see why the characters reputation, bad or otherwise, should matter to you. Dropping a character because they become a "tier *****" character is honestly childish and means you dont like playing the character, you like playing OBSCURE characters and would be better off playing someone like Zelda or Game & Watch. But again, Im speaking as someone who mains a character that a lot of people, um... dislike.

If Customs become a thing, everyone will play Villy.

If not, he will continue as a good character that is underrepresented.
There's literally nothing stopping people from playing Customs Villager right this moment.

True. Villager may be the Brawl Meta Knight of customs.
Lmao, Villager will never be anywhere near Brawl MK levels of ridiculous. Different ledge mechanics, only two forms of recovery as opposed to four, no transcendent damaging moves, comparatively slow smashes, no reliable followups. Not to mention that they play completely differently. Apples and oranges.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
People have been saying Diddy Kong is OP for a long time now and the character has received no nerfs. The only character this has happened to is Rosalina, and even as a Rosalina main I do think most of those nerfs were well deserved. I really REALLY doubt Sakurai would nerf Villager just because people whine about it because objectively the character needs no nerfs and the dev team can probably see that.

I dont see why the characters reputation, bad or otherwise, should matter to you. Dropping a character because they become a "tier *****" character is honestly childish and means you dont like playing the character, you like playing OBSCURE characters and would be better off playing someone like Zelda or Game & Watch. But again, Im speaking as someone who mains a character that a lot of people, um... dislike.

There's literally nothing stopping people from playing Customs Villager right this moment.

Lmao, Villager will never be anywhere near Brawl MK levels of ridiculous. Different ledge mechanics, only two forms of recovery as opposed to four, no transcendent damaging moves, comparatively slow smashes, no reliable followups. Not to mention that they play completely differently. Apples and oranges.
Well duh of course i'm not dropping him.

And I now mentioned that some people may find this good... so there's that.

And this thread's meaning isn't meant to express my opinion. I just made a prediction.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530

I meant, as in competitively, the standard xD

Well duh of course i'm not dropping him.

And I now mentioned that some people may find this good... so there's that.

And this thread's meaning isn't meant to express my opinion. I just made a prediction.
Saying a tier ***** character has a ba d reputation is an opinion though.

I meant, as in competitively, the standard xD
Custom legal tourneys are already going on, if thats what you mean. My city has them literally every week, and I doubt were alone. In fact pretty recently KTAR, that well known tournament series that is also streamed, had customs legal, and ADHD played with customs Villager.

Instead of people wanting to play custom Villager, most people hated it (apparently).

I don't know what sort of big eye-opening event everyone is still waiting for for customs to "be a thing" in their eyes. Customs have been a thing for a while now.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Saying a tier ***** character has a ba d reputation is an opinion though.

Custom legal tourneys are already going on, if thats what you mean. My city has them literally every week, and I doubt were alone. In fact pretty recently KTAR, that well known tournament series that is also streamed, had customs legal, and ADHD played with customs Villager.

Instead of people wanting to play custom Villager, most people hated it (apparently).

I don't know what sort of big eye-opening event everyone is still waiting for for customs to "be a thing" in their eyes. Customs have been a thing for a while now.
To put it in clearer terms:

If it actually becomes the standard of the meta in the future

Right now they're being experimented with. But we need to see if they will be the standard in the future.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
I was actually having a similar train of thought today as I was browsing reddit and all of the rants/complaints of the custom Villager showing at KTAR.

I mean.. to be honest, the whole explosive balloon ledge planking thing isn't exactly healthy for the Smash 4 playerbase or viewerbase in my opinion. I feel like there needs to be some course of action taken at the very least, whether it be the implementation of Brawl's ledge grab limit (lol, Sakurai thought he fixed planking) or the more unfortunate route.. banning some of Villager's questionable customs.

Also, I disagree with your statement regarding Villy's learning curve. While it's not too difficult to throw out Lloids and aim slingshots, Villager is a character that I feel requires you to be incredibly crafty and creative with your traps, setups and mindgames in order to be successful at a high level, which requires a heavy grasp on all of his options.

Compared to someone like say, Diddy Kong, Villager isn't really a character you can just pick up and be successful with, which is why I don't think that will really be an issue in the future. I can't see a player going Villy on a whim because he dropped a game in a set like what has been the case with Diddy due to how one dimensional the ape can be. (not to mention Villager's multiple bad MUs)

but that's not going to stop people from jumping on the OP hype train lol

Last edited:

cree318

Smash Cadet
NNID
cree318
3DS FC
0301-9783-2199
I'd say that custom's Villy is easier to learn than regular 1111 Villy (at least in terms of coming in not knowing anything about Villy). I would assume that the go to tactic people try out first with customs on is ledgecamping with counter timber, pushy lloid, explosive balloon trip, and fairs/bairs.

Of course this isn't all Villy can do since he has an incredible gimping game while also having some of the most unique moves properties in smash 4 (an fsmash that is a downward projectile, a down b that has 3 different stages, ect). I do hope that more people pick up Villy, but I'm afraid that we'll just get people who only know how to use him as a ledge camper when customs are on...

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I was actually having a similar train of thought today as I was browsing reddit and all of the rants/complaints of the custom Villager showing at KTAR.

I mean.. to be honest, the whole explosive balloon ledge planking thing isn't exactly healthy for the Smash 4 playerbase or viewerbase in my opinion. I feel like there needs to be some course of action taken at the very least, whether it be the implementation of Brawl's ledge grab limit (lol, Sakurai thought he fixed planking) or the more unfortunate route.. banning some of Villager's questionable customs.

Also, I disagree with your statement regarding Villy's learning curve. While it's not too difficult to throw out Lloids and aim slingshots, Villager is a character that I feel requires you to be incredibly crafty and creative with your traps, setups and mindgames in order to be successful at a high level, which requires a heavy grasp on all of his options.

Compared to someone like say, Diddy Kong, Villager isn't really a character you can just pick up and be successful with, which is why I don't think that will really be an issue in the future. I can't see a player going Villy on a whim because he dropped a game in a set like what has been the case with Diddy due to how one dimensional the ape can be. (not to mention Villager's multiple bad MUs)

but that's not going to stop people from jumping on the OP hype train lol
Some of Villager's customs might get banned, it would be sad. Certainly a dawn of a new day...

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
I don't think Villager will get Diddy Kong bandwagoned. Most if-not every character has a way to beat it, and people like Tweek and his Bowser Jr. discovered how to win the stall war and even Nairo's ZSS got relatively close, and (Dapuffsters?) Mii Brawler discovered how to beat ADHD entirely. I know moves with some invincibility like Marth's Crescent Slash has a way to beat it.

Some people are just over-hyping the strategy; it's annoying and is a good strategy, but it's not broken now and it will never be unless something gets discovered for Villager that improves this significantly.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I don't think Villager will get Diddy Kong bandwagoned. Most if-not every character has a way to beat it, and people like Tweek and his Bowser Jr. discovered how to win the stall war and even Nairo's ZSS got relatively close, and (Dapuffsters?) Mii Brawler discovered how to beat ADHD entirely. I know moves with some invincibility like Marth's Crescent Slash has a way to beat it.

Some people are just over-hyping the strategy; it's annoying and is a good strategy, but it's not broken now and it will never be unless something gets discovered for Villager that improves this significantly.
Its not broken, its just extremely OP.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Its not broken, its just extremely OP.
In my eyes, being extremely OP and broken are the same thing. :p

But yeah, yesterday I messaged my friend on steam, and the first thing he says is "ADHD'S CUSTOM VILLAGER THO" after having watched the two matches where ADHD won. Of course he didn't see the matches where the strat was beaten. However, I'm sure he's one of MANY smashers who now think that Custom Villager will ruin Smash 4's meta forever. Of course everybody will calm down given a couple more tournaments, and yes people will respect Villager more, but I doubt he will get Diddy levels of hate. But I can't say for certain, only time will tell.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I don't mind explosive balloons being gone, but trip sapling must stay. It makes MUs so much better

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I agree with keeping trip sapling, but we will get hate.

Like a lot of hate.
Realistically, I doubt it.
Diddy has a lot of hate because of banana to gra to hooha.

We don't got a hooha, our trip sapling is frustrating at best, but you really just gotta jump around it. it just makes grabbing a bigger ordeal. Which evens the playing field because our grab is terribad.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Realistically, I doubt it.
Diddy has a lot of hate because of banana to gra to hooha.

We don't got a hooha, our trip sapling is frustrating at best, but you really just gotta jump around it. it just makes grabbing a bigger ordeal. Which evens the playing field because our grab is terribad.
People will still hate us XD

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
@ AnchorTea AnchorTea Tbh people will still hate you either way, Villager is ALWAYS an annoying person to face on the losing side. xD

Timber Counter isn't OP (neither is EBT lol) and I'm glad you can recognize that, but don't worry about hate. It's the opponent's fault if they can't deal with good move and/or character, and they should strive to get better instead of just complaining if they want to be successful haha.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
@ AnchorTea AnchorTea Tbh people will still hate you either way, Villager is ALWAYS an annoying person to face on the losing side. xD

Timber Counter isn't OP (neither is EBT lol) and I'm glad you can recognize that, but don't worry about hate. It's the opponent's fault if they can't deal with good move and/or character, and they should strive to get better instead of just complaining if they want to be successful haha.
The only way the counter timber + EBT would be OP would be if ledge invincibility was regained every time.

As it stands, you can do it for a bit to rack up damage, but you gotta get in there as well.

So anyone wanting to use custom Villager just to be OP won't get much of anywhere.

@ AnchorTea AnchorTea - People still find Villager majorly annoying anyway, this will just intensify it.

TR33

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pandaguy719
How isn't timber counter overpowered? I usually hate when people throw that word around but this move is actually overpowered. 15 second controllable stage hazard that not a single member of the cast can interact with that isn't a villager with their own watering can. The startup and recovery on the move his also extremely fast and the opportunity presents itself pretty easily. Moreso it locks down that part of the stage to a plethora of options, I mean obviously the strat can be beaten but it's pretty insane when you put it to practice. On the other hand I wouldn't be against it lol, since it turns rushdown matches into a whole new beast and gives an even bigger back bone to villager's already solid campgame.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
How isn't timber counter overpowered? I usually hate when people throw that word around but this move is actually overpowered. 15 second controllable stage hazard that not a single member of the cast can interact with that isn't a villager with their own watering can. The startup and recovery on the move his also extremely fast and the opportunity presents itself pretty easily. Moreso it locks down that part of the stage to a plethora of options, I mean obviously the strat can be beaten but it's pretty insane when you put it to practice. On the other hand I wouldn't be against it lol, since it turns rushdown matches into a whole new beast and gives an even bigger back bone to villager's already solid campgame.
It's actually not extremely fast. If a captain falcon is in the middle of the stage, and you start planting your sapling from one of the edges, I bet he could run and grab you before you plant it.

That aside, it makes the axe and tree not kill at all, basically, taking away Villager's kill potential. He HAS other ways to kill, but it IS a tradeoff

Whereas EBT is just a buff.

Top Bottom