• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager Combo possibilities discussion

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
If you foot stool someone, you have a free lagless dair spike if you uave a good enough reaction time and of your lucky enough to get a three turnip.

SilverhandX

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverhandX
Not sure if this has been found before, couldn't find it in the bit of searching that I did, so sorry if it's already known. So while messing around, I accidentally found this. If you ride your side b into someone and immediately input a f-air it will hit your opponent, adding a bit of damage to the attack. I did some testing and this seems to work between 10-45% with most characters. Not a huge discovery but it does add some free damage.

Meiwaku

Smash Rookie
Yeah lots of Villager's aerials combo well. My favorite is predicting a dash attack on a character that slides a fair distance like Mario. Short hop to Lloyd, then do a falling nair as they slide under you. It will pop them up into Lloyd, and then you can follow up with fairs, chasing them across the stage.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Yeah we already knew that. It's really amazing what Villager can get away with Lloyd Rocket.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I feel nervous for necroing an old thread but at highish percents 1-2 jab into f-air works as a string.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Well, for combos, I just got b-reversed axe > Tree. I don't know if it's reliable and I can't remember if the axe probably would've killed on it's own, but the tree guaranteed the kill either way. It was hype!

I forgot to save the replay though.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
I was getting some practice in today and pulled off what looked to be a true combo kill setup. I launched a Lloid towards an offstage Falcon, hit him with Fair, he fell into the Lloid while still in hitstun, then I hit the close hitbox of another Fair off of that for the KO. This didn't gimp him, it actually killed off the side without rage.

Nothing spectacular, but it goes to show that you can get some fairly simple kill setups with Fair's deceptive KO power. I could make a GIF of this if anyone's interested.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I was getting some practice in today and pulled off what looked to be a true combo kill setup. I launched a Lloid towards an offstage Falcon, hit him with Fair, he fell into the Lloid while still in hitstun, then I hit the close hitbox of another Fair off of that for the KO. This didn't gimp him, it actually killed off the side without rage.

Nothing spectacular, but it goes to show that you can get some fairly simple kill setups with Fair's deceptive KO power. I could make a GIF of this if anyone's interested.
yes do it

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Can Villager true combo out of any of his throws?

Also, I love doing lloid and fair combos, fairing them so they fall on the lloid, then fairing them again, is super nice.

BTW, if they fail to tech, dair spike will combo into uair. And strangely enough, it gets 3 turnips twice (for dair and then uair) every time I do it. Also kills at like 100%

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

Also, I love doing lloid and fair combos, fairing them so they fall on the lloid, then fairing them again, is super nice.

BTW, if they fail to tech, dair spike will combo into uair. And strangely enough, it gets 3 turnips twice (for dair and then uair) every time I do it. Also kills at like 100%
If anything, d-throw (n/f)-air at low perents

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'll check it. It seems they get outta hitsun pretty quick tho x~x

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Unfortunately not. They're able to act out of the hitstun from a down-throw before we can Fair them. However, down-throw does set up for some options if you can read them well.

For example, after I condition them into airdodging after a down-throw, I like to predict that and punish the landing with Up-Smash then follow up with Up-Air. (which is a lovely true combo at low to mid percents) If they tend to attack directly out of a down-throw, you can just walk up, shield, and regrab or simply punish accordingly. If you read a jump, depending on the character you can usually double jump and Fair them, potentially stringing together more Fairs afterwards.

She's no Diddy Kong, but Villager can still do some interesting stuff with grabs provided you can get inside your opponent's head.
I get so hyped whenever I'm lucky enough to pull this off with 3 turnips.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Unfortunately not. They're able to act out of the hitstun from a down-throw before we can Fair them. However, down-throw does set up for some options if you can read them well.

For example, after I condition them into airdodging after a down-throw, I like to predict that and punish the landing with Up-Smash then follow up with Up-Air. (which is a lovely true combo at low to mid percents) If they tend to attack directly out of a down-throw, you can just walk up, shield, and regrab or simply punish accordingly. If you read a jump, depending on the character you can usually double jump and Fair them, potentially stringing together more Fairs afterwards.

She's no Diddy Kong, but Villager can still do some interesting stuff with grabs provided you can get inside your opponent's head.

I get so hyped whenever I'm lucky enough to pull this off with 3 turnips.
Speaking of 3'turnips, dair from the ledge seems to have a super high chance of getting 3.turnips. Its just a theory tho, I gotta test it more.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I'll check it. It seems they get outta hitsun pretty quick tho x~x
I swear Uthrow to UAir at 0%?
Also, USmash to UAir at extremely low percents on most characters seems to be guaranteed, not that you'd be using usmash

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I swear Uthrow to UAir at 0%?
Also, USmash to UAir at extremely low percents on most characters seems to be guaranteed, not that you'd be using usmash
usmash is good tho.....if you can get them buried, but then they only stay buried long enough above the high 60%s at best xD

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I've been able to lead USmash in very rare scenarios since it usually lasts longer than an opponents step dodge, I would never risk it on first game.
Would only ever usmash read a step dodge if I have enough info on them to read it, though sometimes they will block and let go of shield too early.
The only reason I say you wouldn't really be usmashing early is because nobody likes a stale smash attack.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I've been able to lead USmash in very rare scenarios since it usually lasts longer than an opponents step dodge, I would never risk it on first game.
Would only ever usmash read a step dodge if I have enough info on them to read it, though sometimes they will block and let go of shield too early.
The only reason I say you wouldn't really be usmashing early is because nobody likes a stale smash attack.
I WILL usmash if my opponent is up on the lower platforms of BF, or such. Tho SH uair is probly better....XP

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I WILL usmash if my opponent is up on the lower platforms of BF, or such. Tho SH uair is probly better....XP
I did this at first and stopped because some characters could punish with platform drop nair

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I don't really think we know of that many true combos, he's pretty slow after all, but Villager has followups for days, dash attacks chain into eachother at low percent, rocket into fair barrage, landing nair to grab, and all the stuff listed here.

Well...ONE time I was able to combo the first hit of a jab DIRECTLY followed up with a 3turnip dair spike off the ledge, I tested it out and you have to be nearly frame perfect with the opponent at like 60/70%, but I'd love to practice with it more.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Well...ONE time I was able to combo the first hit of a jab DIRECTLY followed up with a 3turnip dair spike off the ledge, I tested it out and you have to be nearly frame perfect with the opponent at like 60/70%, but I'd love to practice with it more.
Woah woah woah woah.
Woah.
Can you get us a video of this? Even if the recording is bad?
Could be extremely useful in certain scenarios

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
New true combo discovered! Not sure what percent this works until, but it's probably very low since I've only done it at 0% and 1% so far. It goes:

Dtilt(sweetspot) ---> Usmash --> Uair

If you're lucky with three turnips, it does about 37%!

I'm definitely gonna be trying to work on villager's combo game more often. I think if we're creative we can do some cool stuff.

EDIT: False alarm. I was in training and thought the usmash was continuing the combo when it actually wasn't. That's embarassing. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Can someone test if you can link Jab-Jab into U-smash?

I know Ranai uses U-smash to punish laggy moves instead of grabbing so I've decided to use the move more.

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
I personally just ust usmash to protect myself from people attacking me from above with a high priority move (like falcon dair) since shieldgrabbing isn't the best move for Villager.
I also use uair just after an utilt (or even sometimes TWO uair ! uair>jump>uair), idk if it's a true combo tho

Nintendoge_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bwooper
3DS FC
1306-6166-5014
I love the potential jabs have to comboing into things.

Although I haven't experimented too much with it, single jab to axe seems to work pretty well (at least in training mode and against level 9 AI).

Last edited:

Arcaden

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I've seen many villagers lloid into fair, and I like it, but I think there is something that can be a little bit more effective, hear me out:

Lloid > Nair

When done near the edge, I've gotten some awesome results by following it up with a dair, a uair, a Usmash, fair, and even bair.

No joke, the potentials with lloid > nair (especially near the edge) are pretty great.

Last edited:

Arcaden

Smash Rookie
Key: Big = characters like bowser Medium = characters like mario Small = characters like Jigglypuff

Combo 1:
Down throw > fair - this combo at 0-30% works. It does 11% if fair is sweetspotted, and 18% if an additional close fair is achieved.

Combo 2:
Down Throw > Ftilt - this combo works against big and medium characters at 0%, does 13%

Combo 3:
dtilt > ftilt - this combo works against big characters at 0-20%, works on medium at 0%, does 22%

Combo 4:
dtilt > fair > (on small characters) fair - this combo does 20% (27% on small chars), works on small characters at 0-30%, medium at 10-35% (second fair I dont think works on medium), and big at 10-25%

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
FF dair (lingering hitbox) combos into uptilt at lower %s

A nice little tidbit.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
FF dair (lingering hitbox) combos into uptilt at lower %s

A nice little tidbit.
Do you mean a meaty dair? Meaty meaning hitting them with the later frames of the active hitbox.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Do you mean a meaty dair? Meaty meaning hitting them with the later frames of the active hitbox.
The later frames are weak actually.

Also its not a true combo, but at kill %s, a nice followup is sourspot (lingering hitbox) FF dair of 1 turnip into upsmash

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
The later frames are weak actually.

Also its not a true combo, but at kill %s, a nice followup is sourspot (lingering hitbox) FF dair of 1 turnip into upsmash
Yeah meaty doesn't mean strong, just the latest active frames of the hitbox. The same thing as what you meant by the lingering hitbox/sourspot. It's a common FGC term that can be used in smash as well.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Yeah meaty doesn't mean strong, just the latest active frames of the hitbox. The same thing as what you meant by the lingering hitbox/sourspot. It's a common FGC term that can be used in smash as well.
Lol, that's so weird

When I think of meaty I think of something powerful and bulky xD

skillskillfiretruck

Smash Journeyman
If you foot stool someone, you have a free lagless dair spike if you uave a good enough reaction time and of your lucky enough to get a three turnip.
This. It works with 1, 2 or 3 turnips I am pretty sure.
When you home into the opponent with fairs and nairs and whatever, sometimes you might be able to pull of the footstool dair. Footstool dair works (it works in the air as well) because the turnips hit box is long enough and it comes out fast enough. This is as long as they are not shielding the footstool of course which will result is a safe free jump anyways to get out of there. It is effectively a combo/attack that comes out on frame 1 because footstool comes out frame 1 (or something like that), and the dair is guaranteed if you react fast enough.

I started out doing this by accident, but eventually it became more controlled.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
This. It works with 1, 2 or 3 turnips I am pretty sure.
When you home into the opponent with fairs and nairs and whatever, sometimes you might be able to pull of the footstool dair. Footstool dair works (it works in the air as well) because the turnips hit box is long enough and it comes out fast enough. This is as long as they are not shielding the footstool of course which will result is a safe free jump anyways to get out of there. It is effectively a combo/attack that comes out on frame 1 because footstool comes out frame 1 (or something like that), and the dair is guaranteed if you react fast enough.

I started out doing this by accident, but eventually it became more controlled.
What i like doing sometimes, if i have pocketed a projectile that goes strait down, i.e. villagers bowlingball, pikachus thunder, robins el wind, megamans dair,

You can footstool>pocket release. Its especially fun because all those projectiles spike except for bowling ball.

Edit: after reading what ive missed, sourspot dair links into ftilt. I used to do sourspot dair> dair> and chain this across stage, but either its been patched out, or people have gotten smarter.

Last edited:

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Something I love doing is jab 1 > dair, and if it's a 1 turnip dair you can repeat it and go across the stage. It's no true combo, but it can catch people sometimes.

Top Bottom