• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Villager being a silent character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What are your thoughts about the Villager being a silent fighter? He'd basically have absolutely no voice effects, much like with Olimar.

The reasoning for this question is primarily because your villager doesn't really have any voice actors being utilized for his/her speech.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Keeping the villager silent lets the player project his own motivations onto him more easily. With characters like Mario and Link, their voices give you a certain "emotion" that acts as the basis of what the character is like.
Because Animal Crossing players play for their own personal reasons and their character reflects their own outlook, I think it would be jarring if the Villager suddenly had a voice.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Sound effects from Animal Crossing should correspond to his moves, but the Villager should not make noise himself.

Besides his silent whisper of death.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
His animations should be accompanied by stock Animal Crossing sound effects with no actual voice acting. I wouldn't mind if they implemented some "Animalese" into his star KO scream, however.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
What are your thoughts about the Villager being a silent fighter? He'd basically have absolutely no voice effects, much like with Olimar.

The reasoning for this question is primarily because your villager doesn't really have any voice actors being utilized for his/her speech.
I feel that the majority of the Nintendo characters are the same way... so we can project more emotion onto the characters. With that said, the Villager and Megaman being silent is fine by me.

BTW, I know Megaman is not a Nintendo character... lolz.

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
In New Leaf, while in the Streetpass Plaza, you can hear the other players (that you meet via street or spotpass) with animalese-like voices. Maybe they could add that voice when Villager is being Star K.O'd.

But I like him being silent like the older games. Just watch the skies for mute psychopaths.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I'm perfectly fine with that, because he has no voice in his own game.
Olimar, however, I had a problem with. He has a voice in his own game. They really should've used it.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The Developer Direct footage of Villager seems to show mostly what people have said above, and I really love that. Adds to his unique "badass normal" character he just possesses so much. And yet he's just really innocent! :troll:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I have no issue with Villager being silent. Likewise I would have no issues with Villager having a voice. (so long as it fits him)

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Giving Villager a voice would be weird. Keep it like G & W, just sound effects but not a voice. I dunno what you would do for his star KO sound effect though

I agree with everyone else, the Villager should be silent. Though I would like it if the emotion sound effects were used.

The greeting sound when the match starts, the joy noise and animation when he wins a match, the laughter noise as a taunt, and maybe even the shocked piano slam when he's hit with a smash attack.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Oh he'll definitely have that joyful chime noise thing where flowers burst everywhere in hippie-like esctacy as one of his winning poses. Guaranteed.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, when you talk to other player's characters in the Happy Home Showcase, they speak in a distinct Animalese voice with a tone never used in previous games. This voice differs by gender, of course.

Wouldn't mind if there were a few unintelligible blurbs of this "Animalese" when Villager takes damage or something or even a K.O. sound. It is a text-to-speech engine, after all so you can faintly hear Satanic subliminal messages. Otherwise, sound effects from the Animal Crossing games should work just as fine for him.

slambros

Smash Ace
Samus is also somewhat silent, so being silent can work. I am fine with a silent character.

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, if they keep him silent, I think that would open up the opportunity to make a female villager skin for him. Kind of like Wii Fit Trainer (except she has voice clips, but even so). I don't see why they wouldn't make a female villager skin, since you can be male or female in Animal Crossing, and neither specific gender is the "main character". Just my two cents.

And either way, I'm still maining this guy. The tree plant kill=ultimate saltiness.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
I heard about this and them saying things like 'Thanks nook' after their final smash. Are there any video clips of their voice?

Start the video at 1:48, you can hear the female Villager say, "Thanks Nook!".

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

Start the video at 1:48, you can hear the female Villager say, "Thanks Nook!".
It was pretty faint but it sounded kind of seductive to me... I kinda was hoping they'd have animalese...

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
It was pretty faint but it sounded kind of seductive to me... I kinda was hoping they'd have animalese...
Ok so the red shirt male Villager is a psychotic axe murderer and the pink haired female Villager is a seductress. We just need to find what the other two are.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Ok so the red shirt male Villager is a psychotic axe murderer and the pink haired female Villager is a seductress. We just need to find what the other two are.
The yellow and black striped shirt male looks like a lil nerd, but that's just me. The green female is...kind of ugly in my opinion, but whatever. Does each villager have a different voice or is it split just male/female. Or are all of them seductive women on the inside?

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
The yellow and black striped shirt male looks like a lil nerd, but that's just me. The green female is...kind of ugly in my opinion, but whatever. Does each villager have a different voice or is it split just male/female. Or are all of them seductive women on the inside?
I actually have no clue. I only heard the pink haired female speak.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The Villager doesn't speak in Animal Crossing, so there is no reason for that to happen in Smash Bros. The characters should stay as true to their home series as possible, in my opinion.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
That voice tone sounds interesting.

Unlike many here, I don't think it's a necessity for Villagers to be silent.
AC had obvious, but certain indications that the protagonists are capable of speech or giving out thoughts (though based on player's progression or happenings), like paying up the loan, getting stung by bees, etc. I think if they keep them somewhat semi-silent (only few voice clips here and there, mostly though silent), that'd be the best middle ground for the characters and feels most closest to the games as the characters are mostly silent, but talk in certain situation (The one with Nook during Dream Home's start is a good example).

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
The Villager doesn't speak in Animal Crossing, so there is no reason for that to happen in Smash Bros. The characters should stay as true to their home series as possible, in my opinion.
Other human villagers you streetpass actually speak animalese in the house showcase plaza thing, and in city folk the wii speak made their mouths move and in new leaf they got the microphone.

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
I played Smash bros on 3DS with earphones on. He doesn't speak at all. I didn't hear voices in the Final Smash either.

If there are any voices or animalnese, my bet is that it comes from Tom Nook and his family.

Still, I heard no voices in my game.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well, they do talk, but they didn't have a voice.
at around 1:40

I played Smash bros on 3DS with earphones on. He doesn't speak at all. I didn't hear voices in the Final Smash either.

If there are any voices or animalnese, my bet is that it comes from Tom Nook and his family.

Still, I heard no voices in my game.
That is interesting because I have heard several people mention the female villager spoke- maybe his voice acting isn't finalized?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Well, that line definitely is audible. It only sounds a bit off-putting for the Villager. Despite that, I never once heard any voice blurts of Animalese out of the male or female Villager from the demo. Hopefully they update them with seiyuus.

TerumiLOLZ

Smash Apprentice
Ness and Lucas don't speak in their games right? Then why not give Villager a voice? It's a bit odd for him not to have any sound really. Sound effects are fine by me.

Hong

The Strongest
Ness and Lucas don't speak in their games right? Then why not give Villager a voice? It's a bit odd for him not to have any sound really. Sound effects are fine by me.
Ness talks in Magicant, and Lucas talks plenty of times in M3.

Hong

The Strongest
Oh, well you could say that in New Leaf, the Villagers talk through streetpass :grin:
:) For what it's worth, I think the japanese Villager shares her voice with the same one from the Animal Crossing movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom