• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vids of my Samus from Tourneyplay (WA)

Aftermath

Smash Champion
My youtube stuffs

So the first few things are up now. The big thing is me vs dsf, which is fun/painful to watch. I made a lot of critical errors, mainly with edgeguarding, and bad habits after getting hit, but I have some good combos here and there to make up for it (Start of match 2). I can tell how much being away from the tournament scene affected me, after the match my hands were shaking lol, hadn't had that since like 2006.

Also I take back what I said about not SDing a lot, apparently I do that now.

Winners' Bracket Round 2
DSF | 1 | Final Destination | Marth
DSF | 2 | Pokemon Stadium | Marth

One weird thing is that as the day went on, I think I started doing a lot better (although I never beat dsf in friendlies :/), tech-wise, you'll see that I don't keep up the missile spam on Pokestadium since I mess up the homings, but I think in some sets that are on other tapes I do a lot better at it. Of course, it might just be my imagination lol.

Winners' Bracket Round 1
Zerostar | 1 | Dreamland 64 | Luigi
Zerostar | 2 | Yoshi's Story | Luigi

Not too much to say on these, although I don't particularly like them.

Losers' Bracket Round 1
Liveryman | 1 | Yoshi's Story | Fox
Liveryman | 2 | Final Destination | Fox

I have a couple edgeguards, but I'm still way too sloppy on combos and approaching. I've more or less forgotten how to play against fast foxes, other than dsmash spam.

Loser's Bracket Round 2
Dalt | 1 | Pokemon Stadium | Falco
Dalt | 2 | Yoshi's Story | Fox

I'm pretty sure I won mainly from missile kills. I have the same problems against this guy as I did Liveryman, but there are a few cool things that I do.

Friendly Set 1
Toph | 1 | Dreamland 64 | Fox
Toph | 2 | Yoshi's Story | Fox

This is a set between my teammate and me. We got 5th in singles, but would have beaten DSF/Jem had I not missile killed him at 0% when everyone had 1 stock in the second match. Third match I had like 2 SDs, so lost us that one as well >_> I don't think those were recorded, but we had some good teamwork/combos up until I was a failbot.

Money Match Sets 2-12-09
So yeah, a while ago this somewhat not-amazing person who's thought for years that he could beat me (despite never having done so even in friendlies), decided to money match me with 3 of his characters, Fox, Falco, and Falcon. After a bit of taunting him, the prices were $10 fox and $5 for the other two, with an extra rule that is too good. If one of us 4 stocks the other, it costs the person $10 for that match. So yeah, here're the matches.

Set 1: Fox
BC-Chris | 1 | Battlefield
BC-Chris |2 | Final Destination

You might notice that the first game is pretty close at the start. This is because I was playing him like I would a good Fox/Falco, you'll see I basically just settle down and dsmash him a lot. I noticed that instead of going for shines or usmashes in most spots, he'll just do a jab, which can be ccdsmashed at like every %. So yeah, decided that given my odds of winning between playing with a lot of effort and just punishing this habit and not much else, that the extra effort wouldn't be worth it. I still do some **** combos though. 2:00-> end of the match in match 1 is good imo, especially 2:00-2:10. 2:06 in the second match is awesome too.

Set 2: Falco
BC-Chris | 1 | Final Destination
BC-Chris | 2 | Pokemon Stadium

Not too much to say about these, still playing pretty basic and not worrying about being too risky. But both are a good example of how to **** bad Falcos. Combo @ the end of first match = ****. Hmm, on second match, I definitely need to practice edge canceling the upB, I miss it in a couple places that I obviously tried to do it. Ehh, yeah, second match is pretty boring.

Set 3: Falcon
BC-Chris | 1 | Pokemon Stadium |4 Stock
BC-Chris | 2 | Yoshi's Story

So, first match is too good. It's the 100th youtube vid and is of me 4 stocking someone. But yeah, he just gets destroyed, obviously. Second match is pretty awesome too. My first combo on him to his death I think is impressive.

Any comments/critiques are more than welcome.

I just thought he should be more strategic with the charge shot...

I mean, sweet vids. Looks like I missed a cool tournament.

Nyaaa

Smash Apprentice
I only watched the first match, but you dont hardly use Ftilt or at least you hardly land Ftilt. You should start probably, its nice.

*cough*condescending*cough*

As if Aftermath doesn't know what tilts are, or how to use them, or how useful they are.

Perhaps I'm choosing to capitalize on this point right now, but I'd like to add that, when we're critiquing/trying to help each other out, we don't need to assume that the other player sucks, or that the person the player is playing against sucks, or that the player is completely oblivious to standard Samus metagame or doesn't know how to do moves that surely they can perform/know about. Perhaps they know something you don't? Perhaps that's not what they need to work on right now. Perhaps you can offer something more than just the obvious, like phrasing it in a question - perhaps it is the tone of the critique that is in question. What if we are right in our critique though? We don't need to disrespect in doing so.

There's something to be said in being sarcastic about stuff or saying it in a joking way, but... well, long story short, maybe tyser just needs to be banned, again, heh.

Anyway. Someone like
Aftermath... he's been playing this game for years - I know he's known how to shpmc and swd since at least 2005 - he wrote the "how to play samus guide' that's stickied in this forum. Just saying... some people 'deserve' a bit more...
(otherwise your posts could be considered spam I guess, heh.)

Forcystus

Smash Apprentice
good samus, needs more Dsmash

@philip nobody in this thread has said anything condescending so i don't really understand why you feel like defending Aftermath. Nyaaa simply suggested he should use more tilts. He didn't explain the definition of 'tilts' or how they are used so this is totally incorrect and misplaced:

"As if Aftermath doesn't know what tilts are, or how to use them"

just wanted to point that out

@philip nobody in this thread has said anything condescending so i don't really understand why you feel like defending Aftermath. Nyaaa simply suggested he should use more tilts. He didn't explain the definition of 'tilts' or how they are used so this is totally incorrect and misplaced:

"As if Aftermath doesn't know what tilts are, or how to use them"

just wanted to point that out
Like I said, I was kind of capitalizing on the moment, so I was more addressing other things I've seen people say... but, I guess if no one is noticing them except for me, then moot point.

As for tyser's (nyaaa) comment, the way he said it was suggesting that Aftermath never uses tilts ever against Marth players - which is not true. Point being: The post was essentially useless.

Now, I could be wrong, and he could be just joking (like I said... maybe I picked a wrong moment to soapbox) but he could have phrased it like "why don't you use any tilts there?" which gives Aftermath an opportunity to respond, and the learning for all of us to continue. Or, if he really wanted to be helpful, he could have watched the second match and tried to figure out why Aftermath wasn't using any tilts, or what was preventing him, so that he could be even more helpful.

Last, it's not so much the technique at which all of this is gone about, nor the method, yet a small critique on the people behind the posts so that maybe they could have a gentle reminder of something if they're in need of anything of that matter or something... (trails off inaudibly)

<_<

Anyway *cough*. No offense to your comment, Forcystus, I'm just trying to back up my own statement...

Nyaaa

Smash Apprentice
I didnt mean to offend anyone. Thats just how I always respond to videos and such. I know who Aftermath is and everything also. Ive been around since early '06 and I used to watch his vids saying how amazingly fast I thought he was and stuff. No disrespect to him in any way. Like I said thats just how I type stuff up.

I didnt mean to offend anyone. Thats just how I always respond to videos and such. I know who Aftermath is and everything also. Ive been around since early '06 and I used to watch his vids saying how amazingly fast I thought he was and stuff. No disrespect to him in any way. Like I said thats just how I type stuff up.
Ok, no problem then.

*sigh*

All this talk and I haven't even commented on one of the videos myself yet... hah. Busy week and slow internet johns...

Aftermath

Smash Champion
For whatever reason, I got it in my head that I couldn't cc dsmash against Marth, so yeah, that was pretty dumb on my part and I fixed that.

As for ftilts, I dunno. I don't play like HugS, but watching the vids again, I really should replace most of my fsmashes/dash attacks with ftilts. To be fair (john), most of the dash attacks were supposed to be ftilts anyway >_>

When Marth is off the edge and I'm sitting on the edge, how do I hit him with a sec kick. You'll see a couple times over the set I went for hitting him out of the upB instead of just rolling on the edge (a bad idea in all but one instance). But yeah, I seem to get hit out of it a lot, do I just need to drop down a bit to hit him towards the beginning of the upB, or just make sure that I use my invincibility to do it?

Also sadface at "how fast I thought he was" I was thinking that I'm still fastest >_>

Edit: new stuff

Mars-

Smash Champion
Lol I didn't even need to scroll down the page to know random people would be telling Aftermath how to play, most of them probably don't realize that he made the video that shows YOU how to play.

Anyway, as of this post I only watched the first match, but I should be watching the rest later, you were always one of the samus players I could watch and learn new stuff from.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Lol I didn't even need to scroll down the page to know random people would be telling Aftermath how to play, most of them probably don't realize that he made the video that shows YOU how to play.
Though, I don't think that we should put a stipulation who the person in the video is when being honest about their play style. If you watch a video of Hugs playing, you could probably find a thing or two that he could improve upon even though you aren't as good as him. Or what about the time that someone posted on an alternate account and told people to critique the video and people told him he sucked and it turned out to be a pro player and everyone there ate their words?

You should approach every video in the same way.

Though, I don't think that we should put a stipulation who the person in the video is when being honest about their play style. If you watch a video of Hugs playing, you could probably find a thing or two that he could improve upon even though you aren't as good as him. Or what about the time that someone posted on an alternate account and told people to critique the video and people told him he sucked and it turned out to be a pro player and everyone there ate their words?

You should approach every video in the same way.
Yeah that was HugS, and I go back and read that some times for fun, haha.

Nyaaa

Smash Apprentice
Wait what? HugS did that? Link me the thread because Im pretty sure I might have posted there because I post everywhere. Hopefully I didnt make a fool out of myself.

Wait what? HugS did that? Link me the thread because Im pretty sure I might have posted there because I post everywhere. Hopefully I didnt make a fool out of myself.
Mistah Fab, baby ;)

Actually, HugS was "Kuger Magnum" or something, but yeah. Just search for Mistah Fab's posts though, for sure, and you'll find them...

Nyaaa

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of HugS, I just looked that dude up. He's banned again?

Corigames

Smash Hero

Nyaaa

Smash Apprentice
I didnt start liking HugS' style until much yonder so I probably would have said some ******** things back in the day lol. Im glad I didnt post there.

Top Bottom