• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video of Zeldas's confirmed 1.0.8 changes

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Hey guys, ksizzle of VitaminZK here. Last week I released a video detailing Ike's changes in the new patch which can be seen here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7TmFdK_bVE

This time around I cover Zelda here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfg0F-S1Zkg

I think I covered everything with her, but if you theres something I missed, please let me know and I'll add some parts to a miscellaneous video I'll make at the end of the series! Thanks!

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Hey guys, ksizzle of VitaminZK here. Last week I released a video detailing Ike's changes in the new patch which can be seen here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7TmFdK_bVE

This time around I cover Zelda here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfg0F-S1Zkg

I think I covered everything with her, but if you theres something I missed, please let me know and I'll add some parts to a miscellaneous video I'll make at the end of the series! Thanks!
This is actually really good! It outlines everything we know for her in 1.0.8 that can be visualized in-game.

There were a couple changes to Up Smash that can't be visualized easily:

- All of her multi-hit hitbox sizes were increased a very small amount. (0.5 "units" to each) whoops I missed that it's mentioned in the vid when I first watched it.
- The KB "Weighted KB" used during all of her multi-hits was altered from the stats 40/50/60/60 (for the 4 hitboxes) to all of them being 40 (this would be a small improvement)
- Lastly all of the multi-hits' SDI (Smash DI) multipliers were reduced from x1 to x0.5 (Again a small improvement)

In addition a very minor change to NAir being that the IDs of the two multi-hit hitboxes were swapped, making it prioritize the front hitbox

So basically just a few little things. This video is really good though and should be helpful showing anyone what we know has changed for her! Thank you for making this!

Last edited:

HiFlo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hi.Flo
3DS FC
1865-1068-2662
Good looks on the video sizzle! I'm glad Zelda got some buffs, nothing major of course but any improvement on her frame data is a good thing.

The switch of 1%/2% on the front and back hits of Nair is interesting to me... i didn't expect that but wonder what difference that makes. Does that help against Bowser's "Tough Guy" armor or something or is it just because more times than not you're hitting with the front of this move?

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Good looks on the video sizzle! I'm glad Zelda got some buffs, nothing major of course but any improvement on her frame data is a good thing.

The switch of 1%/2% on the front and back hits of Nair is interesting to me... i didn't expect that but wonder what difference that makes. Does that help against Bowser's "Tough Guy" armor or something or is it just because more times than not you're hitting with the front of this move?
We can't really know why Sakurai makes the changes he does unless they're fairly obvious *cough cough Diddy nerfs cough*. We know he bases a lot of his opinions on the online data he receives so he probably noticed patterns with Zelda's nair and usmash that he didn't quite like among her FG and FF crowd. I'm not entirely sure if he actually watches replays to see patterns or has a team that reports to him on patterns that might need fixing (more likely the latter). He might even have data on an attack's uses like, in one match, this Zelda player used nair such and such number of times and the average damage output/kill percentage of the move was such and such. It seems reasonable that he still has testers watching out for stuff online in case things need fixing which is why Diddy's been nerfed to hell.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
There were a couple changes to Up Smash that can't be visualized easily:

- All of her multi-hit hitbox sizes were increased a very small amount. (0.5 "units" to each) whoops I missed that it's mentioned in the vid when I first watched it.
- Lastly all of the multi-hits' SDI (Smash DI) multipliers were reduced from x1 to x0.5 (Again a small improvement)
I didn't know this. This is actually very good on Sakurai's part. I'm impressed by our lord Sack of Rye.

It shows that he did indeed try to make it a good smash again.
Just give us back more of the range.

Last edited:

LMarucha

Smash Rookie
NNID
LMarucha
Not enough in my opinion but any buff is always good. :)

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Not enough in my opinion but any buff is always good. :)
I'll agree that these aren't enough to make her really viable. I know the Samus boards are saying the same thing about her as her big usmash buff is one of a million things she needs. We're kinda in the same boat where we need an air game, landing lag reduction, mixup options on the ground, an approach, landing options, a down-B that actually does something in top level play. A lot of this could be solved by implementing two changes imo: buffing her nair again by reducing landing lag to at least 15 frames and increasing the disjoint and, thereby, the hitbox as well. With a reliable disjoint on nair and no fear when landing with it, Zelda's neutral game is boosted significantly which is what she needs badly. The second change would be to just have a store-able phantom. Down-B is suddenly useful. Imagine jab>phantom release. With Strike, that's 31% if all hits connect. Plus, it acts like Samus' CS garnering fear and respect when fully charged. It gives us mindgames.

Daidarapochi

Smash Cadet
I'd like an addition to her reading/bait game where you can just hold Din's for as long as you want at it's max distance. It might be too much like Blaze for it to be implemented though :S

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
I don't main Zelda personally, but I love playing as her (I love playing as the low tiers xD). And these buffs are great. Especially the Up-Smash buff. I hope patches like this one are present in the future for some characters.

Top Bottom