• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

video makeing help

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
a friend and i have recorded a bucn of melee matchs on his video camera but when we watch them theres a a weird black line going thru it, not covering it just like a tint.. other than that its good quality do any of you know how to get rid of the line?

Ørion

Smash Ace
Theres a section about video making for future reference.

Anyway, I'm not sure what causes this exactly, but I've seen it a lot. I dont think there's any way to get rid of it.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ah! Yes, the infamous "Black Bar".

It happens because of the relative refresh rates of your TV and camera. The TV does not display a constant picture, it "flickers" very quickly, at a certain frequency called your TV's refresh rate. For a standard TV, this is 60 times per second. (For you techies reading this, I'm ignoring the whole interlaced vs progressive scan thing)

Your camera is also not taking a constant stream of video. It takes a single picture, saves it, then takes another picture, saves it, etc... very quickly. What will happen sometimes is that the two frequencies match up perfectly (at 60hz) or some multiple thereof.

So the camera always happens to take a picture of the TV at that exact moment where there is nothing displaying on half of the screen. Then when your camera goes to take the next picture, the same thing happens. And the result is an apparent "Black Bar" over the picture.

Cool, huh?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ha! yea, sorry I haven't been on in forever. Honestly, I've been playing a bunch of D2 lately (couldn't wait for D3 after the announcement. the anticipation was killing me.) ;p

But I don't know of any way to get rid of the Black Bars with anything short of changing the refresh rates on either your camera or the TV. If your TV can do progressive scan, try that. Or if your camera has different frame rates, try different ones. It could help, but it depends on what camera you have.

Top Bottom