• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Video] Locking is too easy? Discuss.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bTwGixA7K7M

I made a vid of Quick Attack Lock, but the Quality's horrible. I still have the replay if anyone wants it.
Anyway, the QAL is rather difficult to do because of how conditional it is. Depending on how the character falls to the ground, sometimes it CAN'T be done at all (prime example: Princess Peach)

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Quick question for those who don't frequent the forums, how is the QAL done? Is it just a QAC > QAC > QAC? ... ok I sound like a duck now. It may be situational, but it's free damage on those you can do it against, and it adds to counterpick-ability

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Quick question for those who don't frequent the forums, how is the QAL done? Is it just a QAC > QAC > QAC? ... ok I sound like a duck now. It may be situational, but it's free damage on those you can do it against, and it adds to counterpick-ability
1. On an opponent lying on the floor, Diagonally Quick Attack through them, aiming for the floor. Yell "OH YEAAAAAH" as if you were the Kool-Aid man while doing so.
2. Repeat from the other direction. Keep yelling "OH YEAAAAH".

pikaC

Smash Rookie
very nice video!~ doing a QAC->QAC is hard enuf.. more than 2 is insane =)

ForestSage

Smash Journeyman
For those of you who can quickly and successfully do the lock, do you use normal gamecube controller config or do you have Y or X set to specials?

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
Right on Muhznit. You can really shout anything, but this is a move that requires shouting to work.

Here's why I think its easy:
If you just go through them while they are on the ground, you can start it.

and Here's why I think its difficult:
techs are kind of rare - not many attacks lead to techs because the hitstun is too short in brawl.

Maybe someone can make a more comprehensive guide on which moves cause techs to which people at which percentages to be able to start the QAL?

gallax

Smash Hero
Do you think that on some characters the QAL has the ability to be infinite? If a charcter can be stunned long enough for you to keep pulling off the QAC then it should have the ability to be infinite. I would compare this to a waveshine in melee. Waveshining(infinately) was possible as long as there was a wall to go against because the shine hits each charcter back always the same distance, regardless of how much damage the victim had. Does the QA affect the charcter the same no matter what the damage?

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
For those of you who can quickly and successfully do the lock, do you use normal gamecube controller config or do you have Y or X set to specials?
Best configuration would be X set to specials for GC controller, IMO. That way, it's more similar to the classic controller's layout, with Y and B in such a position that you can alter between Jumping and specials barely moving your thumb. Theorhetically, (I've grown TOO addicted to classic controller) An "X-tra Special" GC controller can pull of the same stuff just as well.

Right on Muhznit. You can really shout anything, but this is a move that requires shouting to work.

Here's why I think its easy:
If you just go through them while they are on the ground, you can start it.

and Here's why I think its difficult:
techs are kind of rare - not many attacks lead to techs because the hitstun is too short in brawl.

Maybe someone can make a more comprehensive guide on which moves cause techs to which people at which percentages to be able to start the QAL?
I find that a full-hopped thunderjolt (The Ball Lightning, not the Slinky Lightning) directly to the head is a decent cause of teching. With the lack of landing lag that comes with it, Pika is able to get into a QAL quickly if the opponent messes up.

Do you think that on some characters the QAL has the ability to be infinite? If a charcter can be stunned long enough for you to keep pulling off the QAC then it should have the ability to be infinite. I would compare this to a waveshine in melee. Waveshining(infinately) was possible as long as there was a wall to go against because the shine hits each charcter back always the same distance, regardless of how much damage the victim had. Does the QA affect the charcter the same no matter what the damage?
There was a guide somewhere on the forum on QAL, where I initially experimented with it. The author said that it can't be done infinitely, and I don't think it can either, judging by how ganondorf slowly went to the left each time I did it in my vid.

Top Bottom