• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video lag question

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. I don't have a CRT set up in my house so I'm wondering which option is better for tech training (I play squirtle): HDTV or Dolphin on my laptop? Or are they both bad?

Narpas_sword

We don't know what your TV is like, or what your laptop is like...

Low Lag HDTVs are perfect to play on.
Dolphin with native support using the official adapter (and I think the new 4 slot mayflash may work), in addition to a high end monitor, is virtually lagless too.

Last edited:

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
I have an Aquos sharp hdtv, LC-46D62U where I've set it to dot by dot and turned off OPC, fine motion control, film mode, power saving, and digital noise reduction, although it has no "game mode". Not sure if there's anything else I should turn off.

My laptop is an i5 macbook with glossy screen. I'm running dolphin in bootcamp and using a raphnet adapter because I heard it was the next best thing to the out of stock 1st party ones. Performance-wise it's fine and rarely drops frames for 2 players. I had a big ol' samsung monitor to pair with it but that just broke, so anything to look out for in that regard is appreciated too.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Payton

Smash Cadet
Question about my tv, so my tv looks like a lcd but there is no hdmi port, is it a crt?

Last edited:

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
CRT tvs are bulky, boxy, and heavy (mainly in their thickness) because of the old technology they rely on. I'm not sure what you mean by "looks" like an LCD but if you're saying your TV is as thin as an LCD of similar size then your TV cannot be a CRT. Large CRTs also tend to have curved screen surfaces. Hence why more modern TVs are sometimes called "flat screen tvs".

I also suggest you google your make/model (they should be on the TV) and/or google image search "crt tv" to get a better idea of what crt tvs look like.

Last edited:

Son Rolo

Smash Rookie
Basically what Narpas_Sword said, just remember to turn off V-sync in dolphin to reduce input lag even further.
Also setting internal resolution to "1x native" and disable power saving (high performance mode) will help if you're having performance issues on a laptop.

Payton

Smash Cadet
CRT tvs are bulky, boxy, and heavy (mainly in their thickness) because of the old technology they rely on. I'm not sure what you mean by "looks" like an LCD but if you're saying your TV is as thin as an LCD of similar size then your TV cannot be a CRT. Large CRTs also tend to have curved screen surfaces. Hence why more modern TVs are sometimes called "flat screen tvs".

I also suggest you google your make/model (they should be on the TV) and/or google image search "crt tv" to get a better idea of what crt tvs look like.
I know what a crt is, I am just curious because there is no hdmi port anywhere. And my tv is thin like a flat screen.
This is my tv http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5683600.

Last edited:

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
So are you linking your TV because you're still not sure if it's a CRT (It's not) or because you're wondering why it has no HDMI port (I have no idea)?

Narpas_sword

Confused as to what your tv is?

if it's the one linked its an LCD, it says so right there in the product description..

Otherwise

CRT = its giant fat and has a cathode Ray Tube, which shoots particles at the back of the screen.
LCD = Liquid Crystal Display, it's flat, newer tech uses LED's lo light the screen.
Plasma = Flat too, and uses plasma tech to make the image.

Then there are projectors, rear projectors blah blah.

HDMI isnt an indicator of screen type.

No, frame limit auto handles that.
Ah, i thought that's what Vsynch did. looks like i need to do a bit of learning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom