• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

Y-L

Smash Champion
Let's get some videos going in this forum! Post videos of your game play here to be critiqued by others with constructive criticism. Post away!

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I havent been getting much responses from the Diddy forums so Ill post again here.

I have a youtube video of my Diddy vs Falco/Marth. The quality is terrible however so viewer discretion is advised.

Diddy vs Falco/Marth
http://youtu.be/HGnqdI8TJEM

I also have a higher quality video from a recorded twitch match. Heres what i posted to the Diddy critque thread.

Well, I got some new matches from my second weekly. Didnt get bopped as badly as my first time. We had a stream set-up going but I was only able to get some friendlies in on the set-up.

http://www.twitch.tv/ssbmontreal/b/543915774

The first match I played starts at around 1:00 and is just a test for the stream.
The second match was a more serious and probably a better match to watch. It starts at around 10:20.
So yeah, all comments, critics and tips are welcome. Especially MU tips since I have almost no experience against almost all of the cast (my brother is all the practice I get usually and plays Falco/Fox/Marth exclusively).

Its a lot higher quality than my last post, thank God so please check it out guys! I really want to improve here.
All critque/comments would be welcome. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I havent been getting much responses from the Diddy forums so Ill post again here.

I have a youtube video of my Diddy vs Falco/Marth. The quality is terrible however so viewer discretion is advised.

Diddy vs Falco/Marth
http://youtu.be/HGnqdI8TJEM

I also have a higher quality video from a recorded twitch match. Heres what i posted to the Diddy critque thread.

All critque/comments would be welcome. Thanks guys!
So after watching the first match something I immediately noticed is that you aren't fast falling a lot of your aerials. In addition I saw some missed L cancels. At 1:48 you drop an edgeguard to take out a banana. Bananas are good for edgeguarding but that was like a free dsmash/fsmash. You don't use bananas much in the neutral, there were a lot of opportunities to take them out. Try to grab more as well, and capitalize off them. At 2:16 you drop another easy edgeguard. And again at 2:54, and almost again at 3:08.
Second match, another edgeguard dropped at 4:06. Stage control was a lot better at 5:38 and secured you a kill. Make sure you DI marth's throws down and away so you dont get fsmashed every time.

Hope this helped.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
So after watching the first match something I immediately noticed is that you aren't fast falling a lot of your aerials. In addition I saw some missed L cancels. At 1:48 you drop an edgeguard to take out a banana. Bananas are good for edgeguarding but that was like a free dsmash/fsmash. You don't use bananas much in the neutral, there were a lot of opportunities to take them out. Try to grab more as well, and capitalize off them. At 2:16 you drop another easy edgeguard. And again at 2:54, and almost again at 3:08.
Second match, another edgeguard dropped at 4:06. Stage control was a lot better at 5:38 and secured you a kill. Make sure you DI marth's throws down and away so you dont get fsmashed every time.

Hope this helped.
Thanks for the critiques! I appreciate it. I can see that fast falling could really speed up my game. Ill also work on my edgeguarding too. Others have told me it seems to be my biggest weakness as well.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
fixed it lol also im new to link and have only played him about 10 times what can i do to improve? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ulKLd7QE3w&list=UUpq2eZ5VydFJGrBCoWwy7pw

(note about my last video if you see me down throwing a lot it's because i've never seen a human escape from dthrow>usmash/utilt/dtilt(anyone continues the combo). CPU's apparently always do random things so i try to read them)

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
this was against a com on an xbox controller, is there anything i could improve upon? I've only been playing smash "competitively" for about 3-4 months https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0umDCz03zs0
From watching the first video you should approach with less smash attacks and more aerials (nair) because smash attacks wont work on real people often. Also follow up more with shine after nair and dair. Try not to roll as much and dash dance more (dash dance will be more noticeable against humans).

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Once again, Im posting here as well as on the Diddy boards. I think Ive improved quite a bit since the last video. All critique and comments are welcome!

http://youtu.be/D_scqLT5cvA

So here is a MUCH better quality tournament set from our Montreal weeklies. It was winners-semis against our #1 player , Bidoof. who takes first pretty much every week. I had no idea how to DI G&W combos and I lost a pretty convincing 2-0 (even with him SDing ..) But then he agreed to go FD in a game 3 friendly and I did a lot better.

I need some tips for the MU as well as any other criticisms you may have. I do think i have improved a lot since Ive started going to the weeklies. I actually took 5th place out of 32 entrants this time, it was great!

Heres the bracket for anyone thats interested.
http://challonge.com/pmmtl15

Gladiator

Smash Apprentice
Once again, Im posting here as well as on the Diddy boards. I think Ive improved quite a bit since the last video. All critique and comments are welcome!
Your banana and punish game is pretty good. However, some of the things you do are a bit unsafe, and you get punished for it hard. at 2:37, for example, that up-b was pretty greedy. You would've been better off throwing a banana up or nairing (remember I'm no diddy main so this analysis could be wrong). You could also work a bit on your edge-guarding, which is also a bit unsafe, like at 1:55, where you could have had a free dair.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Your banana and punish game is pretty good. However, some of the things you do are a bit unsafe, and you get punished for it hard. at 2:37, for example, that up-b was pretty greedy. You would've been better off throwing a banana up or nairing (remember I'm no diddy main so this analysis could be wrong). You could also work a bit on your edge-guarding, which is also a bit unsafe, like at 1:55, where you could have had a free dair.
I appreciate the reply! Yeah, the UpB at 2:37 was greedy. I get too agressive off of momentum and do unsafe things when I get a string of hits going. I need to work on staying calm and still play smart. And yeah, my edgeguard game is by far the weakest part of my game. Ill work on that, thanks.

Last edited:

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100

http://youtu.be/D_scqLT5cvA
In the entirety of that tourney set, you only used one peanut. Only one. If you're not utilizing Diddy's peanuts, then you're playing an inefficient Diddy Kong, imo. By not using peanuts, you allow g&w to zone and control space with his aerials and land-cancelable bacon (neutral b) for free and bananas can only do so much to prevent him from doing that.

Also, you kept jumping into g&w's dair. His down-air is a extremely high-priority move and Diddy has no aerial/ground moves that can challenge it. Few characters do. There's also another hitbox that activates on the ground when he lands and it pops you up (so if you shield the dair, hold the shield past the 2nd hit to avoid a potential combo). The best thing to do for most characters is to just wait for him to land with it and punish the landing. However, you can try to throw a banana upwards and try to hit him. In Brawl, Diddy's banana had transcendent priotity, meaning it could go straight through hitboxes and not interact with them. But in P:M, I don't think it has transcendent priority, meaning that moves can clank with it. So g&w's dair could probably clank with it. If this is true, you may not get any damage, but his decent from the air will be slowed down by the hitlag on the banana, giving you more time to punish his landing. Plus, just throwing the banana in the air helps control the air space and restricts g&w's aerial options in the air and upon his landing.

Basically, you spent too much time always trying to approach and running into g&w's moves instead of trying to limit his options with the best of Diddy's tools. Especially when you had a stock lead. There's no shame in peanut camping.

I hope that helped!

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Basically, you spent too much time always trying to approach and running into g&w's moves instead of trying to limit his options with the best of Diddy's tools. Especially when you had a stock lead. There's no shame in peanut camping.

I hope that helped!
Thanks a lot! Was really looking for some MU advice like this. I Faced the same G&W in bracket yesterday and still couldnt do much. :/ He did tell me after the set that G&W has trouble approaching so Ill work on using more peanuts to try to limit him more. I guess Im playing the MU too aggressively.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
quick question to anyone should i be using fox's lasers? or are they for the most part useless?

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
Thanks a lot! Was really looking for some MU advice like this. I Faced the same G&W in bracket yesterday and still couldnt do much. :/ He did tell me after the set that G&W has trouble approaching so Ill work on using more peanuts to try to limit him more. I guess Im playing the MU too aggressively.
No problem! And good luck the next time you play him.

quick question to anyone should i be using fox's lasers? or are they for the most part useless?
Fox's lasers give you free damage on your opponent. Though they don't have stun and are weaker the farther away you are, the laser's most beneficial effect is that it acts like a psychological weapon that forces your opponent to approach because if they don't, they have to keep eating lasers. You can use lasers in such a manner to bait approaches and punish them.

Edit: Also, could someone critique this wi-fi GFs set I had a few months ago? I'm obviously bad at the Fox/Samus MU :/

Last edited:

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
as someone who mains fox and deals with samus on a regular bases the best options are to never approach in a straight line, samus has too many quick options that can out space. What i do is i approach from above preferably on platforms. Also never go off stage with her as you will generally end up losing that.

Gladiator

Smash Apprentice
No problem! And good luck the next time you play him.

Fox's lasers give you free damage on your opponent. Though they don't have stun and are weaker the farther away you are, the laser's most beneficial effect is that it acts like a psychological weapon that forces your opponent to approach because if they don't, they have to keep eating lasers. You can use lasers in such a manner to bait approaches and punish them.

Edit: Also, could someone critique this wi-fi GFs set I had a few months ago? I'm obviously bad at the Fox/Samus MU :/

Pretty good, but your approaches can be a bit unsafe. For example, you would occasionally just do a runup grab, which would work some of the time, but not all the time. Your nair shine approaches were also getting a bit predictable. If I were you, I would add in a drill shine or maybe even falling up-air to mix it up. Really good otherwise though!

Remember, while I did used to main fox, you appear to be better than me at him, so you could not agree with me at all.

Last edited:

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
while im no diddy expert it seemed that the match turn around alot when you lost control of the bananas. I also noticed that without items lucas would have easier approaches but was zone well the rest of the time.

also could somebody critique my link? i dont have humans to play with 99% of the time so i practice with coms alot as bad as that can be.

Last edited:

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
Hey all it's been a long time since i posted anything on here so here is a little something from this past tourney i went to. I made a whole hell of a lot of progress compared to how i used to be. This was my 4th tournament I've been to and the progression has shown. Enjoy and critique! thanks!^_^

Smash of Ages *******,GA Tourney Matches:

http://www.twitch.tv/alabamasmashleague/b/558784853

- 24:46 Veishi (Lucas) vs Lunchbox (Toonlink)
- 1:10:56 Veishi (Lucas) vs Scatt (Sonic)
- 1:41:56 Veishi (Kirby) vs TinkleFairy6 (Captain Falcon)
- 1:53:43 Veishi (Lucas) vs Gig (Fox)
- 2:56:43 Veishi (Lucas) vs Scatt (Sonic) <-- Friendlies
- 3:57:11 Veishi (Lucas) vs AML (Toonlink)

NOTE: Excuse all the restarts on the TinkleFairy6 match. His controller was messing up and then someone accidentally pulled his controller out the port. But we did restart and he was back to normal.

Got knocked out of the tourney by a Game&watch and a ZSS which weren't featured on stream.
I'd love any comments and constructive criticism.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
definitely have the in game sounds up a little on the stream, i barely heard anything going on in game which was weird.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?feature=c4-feed-u&list=PLRHHBxFwuanWA9fPc-yFVQ0y-EguQIfhX
I recently have restarted my Youtube channel and have started to add Project M (and Super Smash Flash 2) videos from Dolphin. I play Yoshi, Mewtwo, Mario, DK, Sonic and Luigi in these videos. I can only really wavedash when landing from a jump or fall, and can't really do consistent ground movement with it, so tips may be helpful on that. These are all against the level 9 CPU except for one level 8 one.

Top Bottom