• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VICTORYBLOG #5: Anime! (v. Cartoons?)

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=5346]VICTORYBLOG #5: Anime! (v. Cartoons?)[/drupal]

Before I Start,
Here's a link to last week's blog on Gaming Console Wars:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=326476

& Here's a link to the discussion blog I made on, if Microsoft decided to create a Mascot Fighter similar to Super Smash Bros. or Playstation All-Stars:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=326514
Join the convo, if you haven't already.

Ok so this week's blog is on Anime, a japanese term used for their animations, shows & movies & us outside of Japan use the term to identify with the animations. When you think anime, we think cute eyes, awesome fight scenes, drama, & magical things, some popular names that may come up in that thought may likely be Dragonball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyo, or more common today Naruto.

For as long as I can remember I've had a special place for anime along with early cartoons like Looney Toons or Animaniacs. The word cartoon, out term for our animation, when comparing the word "cartoon" with "anime" some type of feelings are stirred up in some people. Now this isn't really a blog about who is better, but it is a conversation brought up alot; they are the same thing at the end of the day, animations, no matter what term you use to identify it. People will go out to bash U.S "cartoons" in the name of praising anime & I've even had the same mindset at times, but I've grown out of it, I can appreciate them both past, present, or future. Anime has taught me valuable lessons in life through morals within the story & I've attributed the same from cartoons. Some people will insist that cartoons just rot your brain with it's nonsense & they are partially correct, some of the content out there is mind-numbing, but don't label all "cartoons" the same, because there has been cartoons, that you can watch, interpret morals incorporated & walk away with something meaningful as you would with an anime like Clannad or Naruto.

Why bring up "cartoons" if it isn't a debate on what's better?
Because I first found anime....on "Cartoon Network"
Pokemon...Then soon after Digimon (ABC Kids/Fox Kids/Disney)
Then soon later Toonami aired & I truly understood what anime was, well not really, but I found it far more interesting then the current programming, at that time, even though it was extremely good. Toonami introduced me into Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragonball, Gundam, & Tenchi Muyo, all shows I hold high on a pedestal, til this day. They were a more mature content that I'd never seen, I would watch it & slowly understand it's content as each airing passed. And that's how I always viewed anime, it always taught a more mature things, I matured (lol) a lot because of it, I learned to value things & not everything was a game or fun fun time like an episode of Teletubbie's or some stuff like that. They would mentioned death, relationships, hate, love, sacrifice...etc & I didn't take it likely, I'm sure anyone who has watched an anime like Kanon, Clannad, or AnoHana, knows what I'm talking about, a simple animation viewed by thousands, bringing you to tears as if it were a real life situation, which in the sort it is, in context.

There are anime out there that you just watch for fun & great story like Chobits, or Digimon which from another's perspective looks like it's for kids, which it is, but it holds more to it then that.

I've seen just about every genre of anime out there: Horror, Shonen, Supernatural, Adventure, Slice of Life, Thriller...etc & I've been able to take something from each of them, no matter their maturity level & have been able to apply it to my mindset today for positive or negative, which basically means, I don't filter myself to a certain thing or brand, or genre, I find what I like, & I like it no matter who doesn't like it, because I know that someone out there in the world enjoys the same thing, I do. It isn't the only that opened me up to not having to be conscience about what I like, but it is one of the main things.

Think about how anime, a simple 20 minute animation ranging from ??? to ??? episodes, has affected you from your childhood, like seriously, you have picked up something that whether you were bound to learn it or not, that has come with you through childhood, & adolescences, & now adulthood (maybe lol). Now a days you see a lot of adults who love anime, who have grown up with it, I mean ALOT , which is nothing wrong with that. I especially don't plan to give up anime as long as it aires & I can enjoy it.

All of the anime I've listed today I have watched & have been influenced by, & no, not to kamehameha someone who I think is trying to steal my dragon balls

What Anime have you watched since being introduced to it, & how has some of the anime you've watched influenced you?

That's another thing that I'll touch on before I end this blog, anime has influenced me, to write more, read more (damn subs lol), create more. A lot of people today including myself have been so motivated to tell their own stories after hearing these tales told by these Mangaka. A lot of illustrative artist, story tellers have been spawned after watching their favorite anime trying to imitate or create feelings & experience they had with the anime, they've watched & try to distribute it to others like themselves, hoping to one day to inspire someone else they able to were with their manga, or anime, or art.

Anyways, that's it for the Blog, did it a little early so I could make Toonami, two new animes tonight *BigGrin* still got an hour & a half left, hope you enjoyed the read & was inspired (lol) to post your thoughts below.
NEXT WEEK: Ummmmm.......Physical Apperances.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I started with violent anime... Light fantasy violence in pokemon and digimon and yu-gi-oh.. then I moved onto human combat like dragonball z and yu yu hakaso. Then i got actually introduced to anime so I watched Inuyasha and Full metal alchemist on adult swim after learning what anime actually is. Then i got into romance after i hit like 16, so i watched a lot of romantic comedies and harems. Harems didn't last too long as I started to hate indecisiveness and how much i was hating the main character for hurting the rest of the girls. Then.. I start watching gender benders as I just had an affinity towards it. Then i pick up on liking lolis.. and then.. i stopped watching anime. I moved onto manga and visual novels.

I watch anime somewhat, otherwise i tend to like mangas over anime and visual novels over the anime counterparts as well.

As for being influenced by anime.. I want to learn japanese that's about the biggest influence anime is having on me. I'm working on some self learning with it (though its tough)

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I started with violent anime... Light fantasy violence in pokemon and digimon and yu-gi-oh.. then I moved onto human combat like dragonball z and yu yu hakaso. Then i got actually introduced to anime so I watched Inuyasha and Full metal alchemist on adult swim after learning what anime actually is. Then i got into romance after i hit like 16, so i watched a lot of romantic comedies and harems. Harems didn't last too long as I started to hate indecisiveness and how much i was hating the main character for hurting the rest of the girls. Then.. I start watching gender benders as I just had an affinity towards it. Then i pick up on liking lolis.. and then.. i stopped watching anime. I moved onto manga and visual novels.

I watch anime somewhat, otherwise i tend to like mangas over anime and visual novels over the anime counterparts as well.

As for being influenced by anime.. I want to learn japanese that's about the biggest influence anime is having on me. I'm working on some self learning with it (though its tough)
Yeah that's one thing about anime, you go through phases, like I went through what I called the "Cry Phase" where all I would watch was animes that made me cry like Kanon or my Horror phase where I'd only watch thrillers like Higurashi or Elfen Lied lol

But the whole manga/light & visual novels thing, is something I haven't really gotten a chance to get into yet & I hear so much praise from it.

It's cool that it influenced you to want to learn japanese, I've actually self-taught myself a lot of Romaji & I'm trying to learn a little Kanji.

Top Bottom