• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VICTORYBLOG #3: Using Your Words

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=5321]VICTORYBLOG #3: Using Your Words[/drupal]

Link to last weeks blog on Toonami: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325847

This is gonna be a relatively short blog in comparision to my others, so let's get into.

Now for the longest that I can remember, I've always had a problem speaking publicly, whether it be on stage, in front of a classroom, through web chats like skype or tinychat, hell even on the phone if I stay on long enough.

Now I know for a fact I don't have a speech impediment, but I stumble on my words, I can't control my hands....etc & I can be not nervous at all, well prepared & everything, but I always fall into that trap & it's agonizing.

Do any of you have this whether it be stage freight or social nervousness.

I just feel like it's something I'm working on, but not much improvement.

I do youtube & am starting to record my voice for videos & find myself doing 10+ takes, because I can't use my words, I use "uhh" almost every sentence, prepared or not.

I just have a hard time with it, I mean I can speak more professionally & that usually will work, but when I'm speaking off the top of my head, regularly around friends & family & crowds, I find it difficult.

Especially crowds because If i see that I'm stumbling I begin to perspire, which is the most noticeable thing to those crowds & my hand movements.

I can go out not in fear, nerves fine, but I just can't help it, & I'm kinda repeating myself here so I'll end it shortly.

Have or are any of you going through this & have suggestions to help fix this, because me & a couple of friends are all facing this issue & are trying to coup with this situation; Sometimes I think it's because I write alot, to briefly explain, I don't talk much in the first place, when I was around 7 or 8, that wasn't the case but that was a decade ago & I've found that I'm a better writer than speaker, & I partially blame it for that like my actual speaking ability can't catch up with my typing/writing skills.

Anyway This is the end to my 3rd Blog, Thanks to everyone who read it, Next Week: CONSOLE WARS!!

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Yeah I find it hard to speak in situations I'm not familiar with. I still find it uncomfortable to pay for things and especially answer my phone if I don't know the number. What if it's not a telemarketer!

Even Skype chats with people on here, I can't continue a conversation. It's strange because I want to talk like how I usually do around my close friend and my immediate family but I tense up and can't say anything lol.

Savon

Smash Ace
Coming from somebody who did several years of debate in high school, the key to public speaking when it comes to being nervous is adopting a "Don't give a ****" attitude. Basically you have to put yourself in the mindset that the people who you are speaking to are there for YOU, not the other way around. They are the audience are inherently in a more submissive position. If you mess up, don't worry about it. Just ignore and keep on rolling. Crowds can pick up on nervousness, so maintaining a constant air of confidence is essential. Basically you just have to go balls out and say what you have to say with a mindset of extreme confidence.

Once you do that for a while you begin to get a natural confidence rather than a forced one.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Coming from somebody who did several years of debate in high school, the key to public speaking when it comes to being nervous is adopting a "Don't give a ****" attitude. Basically you have to put yourself in the mindset that the people who you are speaking to are there for YOU, not the other way around. They are the audience are inherently in a more submissive position. If you mess up, don't worry about it. Just ignore and keep on rolling. Crowds can pick up on nervousness, so maintaining a constant air of confidence is essential. Basically you just have to go balls out and say what you have to say with a mindset of extreme confidence.

Once you do that for a while you begin to get a natural confidence rather than a forced one.
I actually took a two semster course of Debate, & it did nothing for me, I try to approach it with that mindset with a smile on my face, but it easily breaks midway in

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia

So much +1 to this.

Exactly the attitude to have is "Don't give a ****" attitude.

As an actor, being on stage in nerve-wracking situations can definitely hinder your speaking. All throughout high school until my Senior year, I was completely timid, shy, quiet, stumbled over words, and not good at conversations whenever I tried to have them. However, it's weird because being on stage, I am completely opposite. I finally have confidence and don't stumble over my words or anything.

The more I did theatre and getting myself out there and deciding to adopt the same attitude I take to being on stage, I started being able to have that same confidence in a lot of things when dealing with people.

I don't necessarily agree that it has to be "extreme" confidence, but having a good self-esteem boost totally helps.

What I suggest, which helped me: Put yourself in more situations that make you talk to people and make you have to maintain a conversation. Try talking to more bubbly/extroverted people.

If you have ever heard of improv, try some of that. After all, all conversation is improv at some point or another so try being spontaneous and on your toes and that should help a bit.

New situations are always going to be nerve wracking though. =x But the thing is, you just have to keep your chin up, smile, and try keeping your train of thought clear.

I wish you luck, Victory! If you need help speaking and the like, hit me up sometime and I'll see what I can do to help you since I know some exercises and the like.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
So much +1 to this.

Exactly the attitude to have is "Don't give a ****" attitude.

As an actor, being on stage in nerve-wracking situations can definitely hinder your speaking. All throughout high school until my Senior year, I was completely timid, shy, quiet, stumbled over words, and not good at conversations whenever I tried to have them. However, it's weird because being on stage, I am completely opposite. I finally have confidence and don't stumble over my words or anything.

The more I did theatre and getting myself out there and deciding to adopt the same attitude I take to being on stage, I started being able to have that same confidence in a lot of things when dealing with people.

I don't necessarily agree that it has to be "extreme" confidence, but having a good self-esteem boost totally helps.

What I suggest, which helped me: Put yourself in more situations that make you talk to people and make you have to maintain a conversation. Try talking to more bubbly/extroverted people.

If you have ever heard of improv, try some of that. After all, all conversation is improv at some point or another so try being spontaneous and on your toes and that should help a bit.

New situations are always going to be nerve wracking though. =x But the thing is, you just have to keep your chin up, smile, and try keeping your train of thought clear.

I wish you luck, Victory! If you need help speaking and the like, hit me up sometime and I'll see what I can do to help you since I know some exercises and the like.
Thanks, I really appreciate all the support & help you guys are giving me :)

Top Bottom