• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vice President of Blizzard wants to see Overwatch characters in Ultimate

Vice president of Blizzard Entertainment, Jeff Kaplan, recently stated that he would be happy to provide a character from Overwatch as a DLC fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, in an interview with IGN.

While the game’s lead producer was happy to offer any character at all, he did have a few ideas for who he thought was the best fit.

"Tracer's our girl, Tracer's our mascot. She'd be my first choice," he said. "There's a lot of great runners up. I think a lot of people can immediately see Doomfist gameplay applying to Smash, but if it were up to me, I'd like to see Tracer."

1570567782721.png

Principal game producer for the Switch version, Wes Yanagi, agreed on Tracer being the “face” of Overwatch, but stated that he would love to see Winston go ape out as well.

The existence of this interview basically eliminates Blizzard from owning the fifth slot of the Fighter’s Pass, but it does get a strong message out. Hopefully Nintendo will be receptive and consider something for one of their future DLC characters. Tracer, Doomfist (who was designed to be like a fighting game character in a first person shooter), and Winston are all perfectly interesting characters that would fit well into Smash Bros. Do you think anyone else would?

Randy Marr

Comments

Unless a character is already in the works, no way this happens now. Nintendo will probably want to avoid the unnecessary controversy, especially since it's associated with a western developer

For a company that pretends to be for the oppressed with their bland characters of a ****ty TF2 tipoff, they clearly don't seem to care for people who are literally being oppressed.
Active player of both Team Fortress 2 and Overwatch, here. I can tell you they're really not that much alike. They're both cartoony FPS games with the "Hero Shooter" theme that's been seeing a rising popularity in recent years. Junkrat is somewhat similar to the Demoman. Torbjorn is the game's equivalent of the Engineer. Mercy has a similar healing concept to the Medic. They also both have Payload gamemodes. That's where the similarities in the game itself stop. All of the other Heroes play uniquely and completely differently from any TF2 character, and even the ones who can be closely compared to TF2 classes still play fairly differently in their own rights.

I stand by Overwatch as it's own product, and I'll still defend it as a good game that shouldn't be accused of ripping off TF2, because it really isn't. If you really think the game is a rip-off of TF2 by this year, that tells me your experience with OW is likely very limited. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how you could consider it a rip-off at this point in time otherwise. Most of the "Overwatch is a TF2 rip-off" accusations came early on in the game's development before it was even released. There are many, many differences between the two games, from it's gameplay, to it's characters, to it's mechanics, to it's style of humor, and it's lore. The biggest similarity between the two games is that they're both a "Hero Shooter" that look like something Pixar would've made if it made movies rated PG-13 or higher. After that, there isn't terribly much to go off of.

That being said, as much as I still enjoy Overwatch, I won't defend Blizzard as a company in light of recent events. Now is the worst possible time for them to have any involvement with Smash. Right now, I simply hope that they realize their mistake and make a sincere effort to fix it.

Yeesh, you guys couldn't have picked a worse time to talk about this.

Here's a concerning thought, though... with how lots of people are boycotting Blizzard now... will people actually boycott Smash Ultimate if they add a Blizzard character?
People boycott DQ because of a person with no direct involvment in the game beside music so Id think Peeps boycotting Smash because a Blizz character is in isnt so off

Last edited:
I am at least glad to see more people resent Kaplan and his wishes for an Overwatch character in Smash.

Could there be any worse time to ask for an Overwatch or any Blizzard content after what just happened?

Because after what they've done, any and all respect I had for them is gone.
I don't really keep up with Overwatch can you explained what happened to create such a negative outburst?

I don't really keep up with Overwatch can you explained what happened to create such a negative outburst?
This mainly stems from their response and decision to ban blitzchung - a Hearthstone player who spoke for the Hong Kong Protests and is in full support of them. Blizzard's response? Revoke his tournament prize money and ban him from competing.

Blizzard have officially become nothing but a farce in my eyes. Call it petty, but I never want to see any of their characters represented in Smash Bros - be it Tracer, Crash, Spyro, or whoever. Yes, I know Crash and Spyro are on the Activision side, but even then, my hatred and un-desire to see them in Smash Bros has even made me reconsider my previous most-hated character Steve.

Last edited:
This mainly stems from their response and decision to ban blitzchung - a Hearthstone player who spoke for the Hong Kong Protests and is in full support of them. Blizzard's response? Revoke his tournament prize money and ban him from competing.

Blizzard have officially become nothing but a farce in my eyes. Call it petty, but I never want to see any of their characters represented in Smash Bros - be it Tracer, Crash, Spyro, or whoever. Yes, I know Crash and Spyro are on the Activision side, but even then, my hatred and un-desire to see them in Smash Bros has even made me reconsider my previous most-hated character Steve.
Oh Damn, gaming should really stay out of political affairs.

Top Bottom