• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Melbourne Bi-Weeklies

Meredy

The Busterina
With the announcement of the Beta Bar (link), the potential for running frequent Smash tourneys is more prevalent than ever. I'd be interested in running small bi-weeklies for Melee, and if anyone wants some Brawl and P:M love you can come around and TO for that. I can't run all three.

If this were to happen, I'd need maybe one or two helpers. Anyone interested?

Keep your ears peeled for anymore news regarding the Beta Bar, and I'll be talking to the guys BtS about running bi-weeklies.

S.D

Smash Master
This is all potentially a while off yet - they've only teased the concept of the bar and have no license or venue organised yet.

Link

However if this were to get up and running it could be a great space for meets. Bar/melee combines two of my favourite things!

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
This new bar sounds like a pipe dream unfortunately. It's probably years not months or weeks away if they're waiting for licencing laws to change

DD_

Smash Journeyman
The Melbourne FGC tried to have some events at the mana bar. Long story short these people aren't exactly knowledgeable or equipped to handle any kind of competitive event. After we gave them a second chance we never went back. Aside from the lack of setups the monitors they used were laggy, they are not accommodating to own setups being brought (So that already rules out CRTs) and due to it being a bar and business open to all, we were only given two setups for 50ish people. While it's a nice idea it didn't work out the last two times :(

S.D

Smash Master
I'd probably have to agree this wouldn't be an ideal place for regular tournaments - more social smash with an emphasis on hanging out and drinking moreso than the game itself.

Meredy

The Busterina
Well, if we can find an affordable venue I'd still be fine to run bi-weeklies.

S.D

Smash Master
Venues for bi-weekly meets would be amazing, but i doubt cost effective. Particularly as it relies on a certain turnout to cover costs. There are already several people hosting regular meetups that serve this purpose (join the FB group if you haven't already). That said if you could find something logistically viable I'm sure it would be a hit! I too am about to start searching for something that can accomodate meets/tournaments in Gippsland, so hopefully we both find something.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
We don't really need bi-weeklies outside of house meets when it suits people.
Monthlies would be a great start

Hughie

Smash Lad
Yeah, a bar wouldn't be a great venue since I highly doubt that kids of my age would even be let in. Even though the majority of of smashers here are uni students, I would be kinda bummed if regular meets were in a over-18 venue.

Splice

Smash Hero
Yeah, a bar wouldn't be a great venue since I highly doubt that kids of my age would even be let in. Even though the majority of of smashers here are uni students, I would be kinda bummed if regular meets were in a over-18 venue.
DAT FEEL SON

Hobs_

Smash Journeyman
This new bar sounds like a pipe dream unfortunately. It's probably years not months or weeks away if they're waiting for licencing laws to change
And I imagine the new bar will run into all the same problems that Mana Bar did. Small venue, not enough customers etc.

Top Bottom