• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Viability of JC/glide toss metal blade string?

ソチャラ「Sóchara 」

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AllahuAkbar
3DS FC
0061-0828-3959
Have any of you had success with or do know of someone who has had success with using the JC metal blade string in competitive combat? I've been practicing it in training mode and have gotten it down pretty well except that I have trouble imagining how I would start the string given that you have to be directly in front of your opponent with the blade in your hand. Is the only chance to run in with it and hope and hope they shield? Would there ever be a way to land this on a competent player? Any advice or reference to a in-battle use of this would be greatly appreciated.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
For those unfamiliar with it, you can see what he's talking about in the first few seconds of this video and then keep watching to learn more.

Theoretically, since this is safe on shield, there isn't really a wrong time to execute this unless your opponent is throwing out lingering hitbox attacks, or spending most of their neutral airborne. This is Smash, after all, so nothing is guaranteed to work, you gotta earn your windows of opportunity. That dance trotting technique can bait out an unsafe move from your opponent giving you time to glide toss in. Very few characters will actually be hit by a sweetspot uptilt at the end of the string, so I've opted for the F smash and Usmash depending on their weight class when I try it. I also really enjoy stringing a hit of this into a jab lock Up tilt kill, which is also shown at the three minute mark.

Besides throwing it downward for the string, I also jump cancel throw forward on an opponent about to land. Since characters in this game don't want to land with an air dodge, they'll only land with an attack if they feel pressured, but the glide toss lets you close so much distance so quickly, that they don't realize they're in danger until its too late. You can throw forward, the blade pops them up in the air for longer, allowing you to get an easy Usmash or fsmash, or maybe keep walking to land your sweetspotted uptilt. There's a ton of freedom here.

I encourage you to keep practicing glide tossing and trying it on different opponents.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I've never been able to chain it. Best I've done is one glide toss down into some other attack a few times. Usually an usmash or just picking the blade up and throwing it forward.

Peabnut Bubber

Smash Cadet
NNID
Peabnut124
3DS FC
2449-4746-6273
The random element to the metal blades disappearing or not truly wrecks the idea of having a successful string with this. I wouldn't imagine doing this more than twice.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Probably the best time to initiate this is out of shield. If your opponent uses an unsafe move you can either do it directly out of shield, or drop shield and glide toss since it's generally safe on shield. If you try to approach with this in neutral you risk getting stuffed by a jab, ftilt, or the like.

I don't think it's all that amazing a string tbh. You're looking at 30% damage, on average, and that assumes your metal blade doesn't disappear on you, which it often does. Meanwhile, a grounded uair -> uair is a combo that does 30-40% every time and is much easier to consistently pull off in a match. I usually only do one glide tossed MB and chain it into a usmash just to play it safe, generally as an OOS thing. It's too bad that this doesn't really work consistently at kill oercentages.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
IMO it's pretty useless for anything other than showing off. Just throwing the blade and grabbing them out of the flinch will get you about the same damage as one blade->uSmash.

BowDown

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-2738-5951
After watching the J.C Glide toss video again (after it's been out for a couple of months already), a question popped up in my head:

Would it be possible to break shields with this?

At the part where Greninja's shielding the thrown metal blade, it looks to me that after 3-5 hits on the shield an u-tilt would be sufficient to completely shatter the shield. However, is there enough shieldstun to get a guaranteed u-tilt in the first place? If so, I think it this might be useful against a person who keeps shielding our projectiles. It might even be better to poke at your opponent's shield beforehand using crash bomber or maybe SH u-air to minimize the times you throw the metal blade.

Also, hey guys! This is my first post.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
After watching the J.C Glide toss video again (after it's been out for a couple of months already), a question popped up in my head:

At the part where Greninja's shielding the thrown metal blade, it looks to me that after 3-5 hits on the shield an u-tilt would be sufficient to completely shatter the shield. However, is there enough shieldstun to get a guaranteed u-tilt in the first place? If so, I think it this might be useful against a person who keeps shielding our projectiles. It might even be better to poke at your opponent's shield beforehand using crash bomber or maybe SH u-air to minimize the times you throw the metal blade.

Maybe, but doesn't sound really usefull since MB dissappears at random.

Also, welcome :)

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321

Yes, yes you can. I've been able to do that before. 2-3 tosses eats half of one shield and the up tilt eats the other half.

BowDown

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-2738-5951
It's good to know this does break shields, but I guess the possibility of the MB disappearing kind of cripples this whole thing. I had high hopes for reliably breaking shields this way because I would love to see it happen in mid to high-level play. I could just imagine somebody pulling off the infinite combo this way, or if the opponent is already at kill percents, Maga Man could make taunt -> fully charged dsmash / mega upper a true combo.

Top Bottom