• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

very new to online SSB have a few questions

yoshi_64

Smash Rookie
I've been playing SSB64 basically since the game was released but I didn't discover the competitive world until just recently!
I play with some friends who take any competition pretty seriously but that's about the extent of it right now. I'm very interested in improving, playing other people online, and get into tournaments etc...

I'm not a total idiot when it comes to computers just a minor one.
here is what i have done so far to get going,

downloaded and installed project64
downloaded ROM
it was the Japanese version :facepalm:
downloaded US version
got it working! god damn MIRACLE!!
Wispy is missing on "Dreamland" but still blows and characters are invisible when in shield, I'm assuming this is a graphics setting thing?? lol i hope.

Now i cant use a keyboard to play that's crazy... i have played SSB on Wii before and don't mind the game cube controller.
I have the Wii-U game cube controller adapter can i use this to allow the use of the GC controller on my computer?

lets start with this for now I'm sure i have a lot to do before i can play online.
any help would be appreciated. :yoshi64:

D

Deleted member

I've been playing SSB64 basically since the game was released but I didn't discover the competitive world until just recently!
I play with some friends who take any competition pretty seriously but that's about the extent of it right now. I'm very interested in improving, playing other people online, and get into tournaments etc...

downloaded ROM
downloaded US version
Wispy is missing on "Dreamland" but still blows and characters are invisible when in shield, I'm assuming this is a graphics setting thing?? lol i hope.

Now i cant use a keyboard to play that's crazy... i have played SSB on Wii before and don't mind the game cube controller.
I have the Wii-U game cube controller adapter can i use this to allow the use of the GC controller on my computer?

lets start with this for now I'm sure i have a lot to do before i can play online.
You're going to need Project64k not 64. Set both the video and audio settings in the emulator to Jabos (1.6.1) I believe. Wispy? O.o I'm not sure about the controller stuff, sorry. :c Lol, while I always prefer an N64 controller, I know quite a few people that use keyboard. Maybe you should try it out to see how you like it? ^.^

Also it's awesome you main Yoshi! <3

Shears

Smash Master

downloaded ROM
downloaded US version

Where are you located? Better to just play console than bother with online.

caneut

Smash Ace
1. don't talk to cuddly, he cannot function with society, and has defunct'd to here like a few others seem to do.

2. www.onlinessb.com is a great place for correct emulators. it has guides such as this nice netplay guide https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-rucRVGZcblagIwZtdc5dGeDUmPJFluVDeLDzzShPxI/edit
here's another good one http://pidgezero-one.tumblr.com/post/132345721945/smash-64-megapost-faq

3. to get the rom just google ssb64 rom and it should be the first link, be careful with download links on sketchy sites, u gotta find the RIGHT download link, kinda looks like this http://i.imgur.com/H8XylNI.png

4. keyboard is viable, hard to learn and sux to be u if u wanna play console, but its possible
do urself a favor, stalk all your local thrift stores that sell video game stuff and find a controller that is nice and stiff. ebay can work but you cant feel it before u buy it. hori's are also an excellent option, $$ tho. gamecube is also viable with an adapter (there's one for console and online

4.5 don't listen to shears he's a megalomaniac.

5. have a facebook? join the nassb64 group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/USAssb64/ you might be able to find people and/or a facebook group for your area if you wanna play console, it feels nice but nothing wrong with online too, do both imo, online best way to get better faster.

6. know where you live if you wanna play online. the popular server is in new york, your only gonna have fun games if you live near the server/person your playing. if your west coast there is a west coast server, just good luck finding people to play there. ny there is always someone to play there.

post more here, theres an ask a question/get an answer thread for stuff like this as well, also a index megathread which has all the emulator links and **** there as well.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
www.pj64k.blogspot.com If your computer can handle it then use GLideN64 it is the most accurate plugin, else use Jabo Direct3D8 or regular glide64(still resource demanding but not as much as GLideN64)

Smash FU, and outter heaven are the main servers now.

(also do not listen to cane, he's a known troll on these forums)

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
I think the Wii U adapter works with Project64, I know for a fact it works on Dolphin though

(don't listen to me, I don't go on the smash 64 forums)

caneut

Smash Ace
7. don't try to conversate with Uair either, he is known as smasherx and is a huge troll

Uair

Banned via Warnings
To start playing online literally all you do is download the latest pj64k, and put your roms in the rom folder, then execute the Auto-start registry. It will setup everything for you, all you have to do is open the emulator and go on kaillera.

yoshi_64

Smash Rookie
thanks for all the info so far!
apparently everyone on this forum is a troll? lol

"Caneut"
I downloaded project 64k + ROM and works fine thanks for the links and guides! great help thanks!

still cant figure out how to get this controller to work :mad:

"leiferikson" you're correct the wiiu adapter + GC controller seems to work with dolphin according to videos i found on youtube, having a hard time finding any info on making it work with project64.

"Shears"
I'm located in Toronto Canada, i would love to just play console but with work/wife/dog/other crap i just don't have time to get out and play other people as often as i would like to. But... I have time while I'm at work for a few hours to get online and practice against better players.

any info on getting the controller to work would be great!
thanks for everything so far, and quick responses!

yoshi_64

Smash Rookie
To start playing online literally all you do is download the latest pj64k, and put your roms in the rom folder, then execute the Auto-start registry. It will setup everything for you, all you have to do is open the emulator and go on kaillera.
as soon as i get a controller working i think ill be online!
thanks for the help!

PrestonK

Smash Cadet
You should join the GTA Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OntarioSmash64/

And you said you don't really have much time to play console, but if you do, we have bi-weekly tournaments every other Wednesday at Poutineville (we had it tonight actually) and monthly tournaments at A&C Games usually at the end of each month. The next monthly is on July 30th, but if you join the page then you'll see when all the events are. There's lots of people in Toronto that play so hopefully we see you at an event sometime!

Top Bottom