• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Very new player, need some direction/help for training

Battlesense

Smash Rookie
I'm about a month into playing Ice Climbers and Marth. I've been practicing desyncing with IC's and some basics with Marth. I usually play two of my buddies who've been playing for a long time. One plays Marth and just C stick forwards (forward smash?) and down B counters. My other buddy plays Falco and is a little better, but mainly down airs and also C stick forwards like crazy.

I am a total noob and I'm not sure where I should focus my practice on. I try to move around fast, but my grabs are pretty much non-existent. Any help or direction on what to practice is greatly appreciated. I'm mostly looking for ways to play against their slow C-stick gameplay while also practicing good habits to get better in long run.

I wasn't sure whether to post this on a specific champion thread or not. I don't go on forums much so I apologize for my etiquette. All suggestions on potential youtube series videos or links to something or your opinions is greatly appreciated.

necroTaxonomist

Smash Apprentice
First thing I'd recommend is sitting down for about 30 minutes and learning to wavedash. It'll take much longer than that to finally integrate it into your play, but knowing how to do it can really help you with mixing up your movements, which deters fsmash spammers.

Also, if you're not already, you should be short-hopping and l-canceling your aerials (look up SHFFL on the wiki or somewhere). L-canceled aerials are much less committal than other attacks and will help your approach.

Other than learning basic techs like that, just keep playing and learning what strategies work for you. Watching some vids of top players can help too.

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
Usually beginners are given SleepyK's Beginner Guide and Wak's advanced how to play.

Here I would add that MookieRah's Basic Tech Skill guide gives a pretty good order in which to learn tech skill as a beginner. IMO everything mentioned in that guide is all you'll want to practice for a good amount of time. Desynchs really aren't necessary.

I also think Tafokint's Zero to Hero series deals with improvement that isn't necessarily tech-skill related very well (or better than anything I've seen so far).

SunnieHD

Smash Rookie
Watching tourney matches from big tournaments and watching guides from various players on various characters, really helps you understand the game more

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
As a new player I think the most important thing to learn above anything is just being comfortable moving with your character. Don't focus too much on tech at this stage because once you're comfortable with maneuvering, the tech skills will come more naturally rather than if you force it. From what I've seen, the order in which players learn techs is as follows:
1. Short hop, L-cancel
2. Wavedash
3. Dash dance, SHFFL
4. Jump cancel grab

But at the end of the day, you should just go at a pace you're comfortable with!

Top Bottom