• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Very new here. What is so good about wavedashing?

Anarchy plz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-3885-4711
So I just found my Gamecube again after about 9 years. And just started playing melee again after watching the tournament scene for a few months.

Anyway, what is so good about wavedashing? I know I'm not that good at it but it seems like I always move faster when just regular dashing. So, how do I make my wavedashing faster and what are its advantages over normal dashing and rolling?

Edit: Also, should I always be wavedashing or is there a particular time when i should wavedash?

Last edited:

insekt11

Smash Cadet
You can wavedash out of shine/shield. You can do smash attacks much faster when wavedashing than when dashing. You shouldn't always be wavedashing, there is no point.

JediLink

Smash Ace
Wavedashing isn't meant to replace regular running/walking (unless you're playing as Luigi because his wavedash is like 10x better than everything else he has). It's just another movement option. It shifts your character's position slightly to the left or right while still keeping them facing the same direction and being able to quickly act after it. Examples of uses:
  • If the opponent is just out of your reach, you can wavedash forward and hit them. This is faster than walking, and it gives you more options than dashing. (As you may know, trying to attack during a dash will only result in a dash attack, but after a wavedash you can do any move you want.)
  • You can wavedash backwards as a dodge move. Compared to rolling, a wavedash back is usually shorter has no invincibility, but it's much faster and allows you to counter-attack faster. Sometimes it's better to roll, and sometimes it's better to wavedash. It depends on the situation.
  • If you wavedash backwards off the stage, you'll slide off and instantly grab the ledge. This could be useful for a variety of reasons.

Last edited:

Anarchy plz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-3885-4711
Thanks for the tips
  • If you wavedash backwards off the stage, you'll slide off and instantly grab the ledge. This could be useful for a variety of reasons.
Are there any tricks to be able to do this easily? I've been trying to practice this, but I always either roll backwards or I jump back then air dodge and die.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the tips

Are there any tricks to be able to do this easily? I've been trying to practice this, but I always either roll backwards or I jump back then air dodge and die.
There are no tricks other than just grinding the tech skill. Also, it's nice to see another smasher from Louisiana join the fray ^^

If you put in the time, everything that you thought was impossible will become instinctive.

Massive

Smash Champion
Actually, yes. There are tricks. They are really to make you learn faster/easier but they are still tricks.
  • Practice wavelanding by itself first. Jump as high as you like and angle dodge close to the ground. This will show you what the angle/height should be when you input your dodge.
  • Practice wavedashing in place. This is mostly to get your button press timing down. Just hold down on the analog stick and hit jump followed by your dodge button until you just do a landing animation in place without a jump.
  • Using the angle you learned from wavelanding and the timing from in-place wavedashing, wavedash left and right, returning the analog stick and trigger to neutral every time. This helps train control so you don't accidentally do something silly like illusion instead of shine.
  • You can also try recalibrating your triggers so you have no light shield to mess you up. Either hold your dodging trigger all the way to click when you plug your controller in or hold x+y+start for 5 seconds while holding said trigger.
I could go on, but rote practice is really the best way to do this consistently. Good luck.

Last edited:

polypuff

Smash Rookie
Wavedashing is very important for all characters, especially for the spacies. On characters like fox and falco, wavedashing after a shine allows you to shine them again for a combo before they can attack back.

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
Since you main Fox, wavedashing is very important. Wavedashing can be mixed with shine, so you perform a waveshine. Waveshines have many uses for combos, infinites, etc, however I think It's best if you look it up to fully grasp it. Wavedashing can also position spacing for pretty much anything, especially in neutral game.

Toadmode

Smash Rookie
I was gonna ask this, but I'm glad I found this thread. I kinda understood why it's important, but I couldn't really grasp how to do it very well. I'll just have to keep practicing it! (:

Top Bottom