• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Very interesting bit about the Mechakoopa, needs a bit more testing.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
So, I was practicing ways to get the MK in my hand faster, this way being a short hop out of a dash use of MK followed by grabbing it. This seemed inconsistent, sometimes working and sometimes I go for the grab with my character and I miss.

I am almost 100% positive you can delay the MK from moving a very small amount of time by holding B(Or w/e your special button is). Only by holding down B I have been able to grab it like this, and I think I notice the very slight delay when watching them one after the other too.

Idk if this will have any other applications, but thought it was worth sharing. Can try and get a vid up but idk if it would show much I haven't said lol.

EDIT: This is possible out of the kart, will make a video showing in a bit.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
`Will try, although the only issue is I lost my phone with which I record.

When xmas arrives I should be able to record again.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Do you mean hold B while using down B? Because the Mechakoopa starts walking after it's been on the ground for 30 frames regardless of whether I hold B down or not.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Do you mean hold B while using down B? Because the Mechakoopa starts walking after it's been on the ground for 30 frames regardless of whether I hold B down or not.
Did some more testing, and I'm not positive but I think it comes out a tiny bit faster if you just tap down b and let go of it real fast, or maybe we can act out of it a tiny bit sooner?

EDIT:

I am pretty positive it's the MK moving a very tiny bit later if held down even a little. I think it's not noticeable to most as we normally don't have a need to just tap b instead of hold it.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I'm dumb, I was trying this standing instead of shorthopping. I think I know what's happening now, though.

When you tap you're getting this:

And when you hold you're getting this:

Is that correct? If so, the IASA frame is the same and the Mechakoopa starts walking on the same frame, and the difference actually has nothing to do with the B button. It's as simple as short hop vs full hop. Full jump+downB doesn't go much higher, but it makes just enough of a difference to be able to grab the Mechakoopa immediately.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I guess so, thanks for the help. I'll use this thread for applications of that maybe.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
I'm dumb, I was trying this standing instead of shorthopping. I think I know what's happening now, though.

When you tap you're getting this:

And when you hold you're getting this:

Is that correct? If so, the IASA frame is the same and the Mechakoopa starts walking on the same frame, and the difference actually has nothing to do with the B button. It's as simple as short hop vs full hop. Full jump+downB doesn't go much higher, but it makes just enough of a difference to be able to grab the Mechakoopa immediately.
if i got it right, this is just shorthop+down b + a?

well, either way, i just discovered JC Glide Toss, maybe this could help jr's approach game, somethign we know he desperately needs.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I use JCTJ with nearly every throw out of habit lol, I usually use the MK at the ledge or sh grab it like said here and JCT it up while approaching, kinda like setting a safety net so I can limit there punishment options should I miss a grab/attack/whatever.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
if i got it right, this is just shorthop+down b + a?
Full jump, if you want to grab the MK after landing. DownB cuts your jump short, and the extra vertical momentum from a full jump is just what you need to be able to land next to the MK.

Top Bottom