• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Versus Ike

Brent Bruthaa

Smash Cadet
Hey guys.

Thought I'd seek some community advice about Luigi vs Ike. He seems to be the character I'm having the most trouble with after playing multiple Ikes in elite matches.

after trying to find a way in past Ike's massive sword and speed, I found a few strategies that helped me in one way or another. Hopefully it helps you too.

I found rolling and grabbing to be a big mistake and easily punished by Ike.
i felt like I was playing my best against Ike when I was at a mid distance, spacing with foxtrots and only going in when I could get a good dash attack or upsmash
Ike often keeps to the air to zone you with his sword and to follow up after his first attack connects. I found that if you time it right you can get a good upsmash in as he's coming down from a double jump.
He can easily put you in a stressful position though to force you off stage or into an air Dodge or Dodge roll.

fireballs seemed a bit useful for poke damage and to try and open up opportunities. I found that I should use them more but be cautious about being caught in the animation and getting struck and caught in a combo.

i haven't seemed to find a solid strategy I can rely on yet. Hopefully others have had better luck against him. If anyone's got any good advice to take down a strong Ike player I'd love to hear your input.

happy smashing!

AirShad

Smash Cadet
I haven't played against an Ike yet but I'll keep these in mind... I've realized that this game is certainly NOT Sm4sh and rolling/grabbing is not a good look at all like it was in that game.

RyGuyUnmasked

Smash Rookie
Mind game him and play the run around game, utilize your specials more for when you see him whiff moves with Dash Attacks and your Down Special for landing as it grants i-frames that way you change positions and can have him on the defensive. Grab isn't great this iteration so coming off 4 will definitely mess you up as your used to a normal grab to follow into combos.

Top Bottom