• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Velocity Influence / Surviving after hit

ssknight7

Smash Apprentice
NOTE NONE OF THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH VCANCELLING PLEASE DONT BRING IT UP

Guys, I know about normal DI and how it works - basically hold analog stick perpendicular to trajectory of hit when hit

My question is when you go flying after your DI has already been calculated and now you're sailing off toward the edge of the screen. It seems to me that if you have just been hit and you are sailing to the right, that by holding analog stick toward the left while you're in hitstun makes you travel less distance.

Is this the case or is it just placebo effect or me just misinterpreting what's going on? After my DI has been calculated, does it matter what direction I am holding on the analog stick with regard to how much distance I actually cover?

I asked this in the Marth boards because it seemed more likely to get an intelligent answer here. Ty

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I'm in no way an expert on this stuff, but I think it's either a placebo or aerial drift coming into effect. I'm not really the kind of person to go into 20XX debug or anything, though.

ssknight7

Smash Apprentice
I feel like this should be a dumb question on my part and one that everyone knows the answer to. If you're flying to the right toward the blast zone, should you be holding left to slow down your velocity or does it have no effect at all to hold left?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
During hitstun you can't do anything to alter your trajectory. After hitstun holding left will accelerate your regular speed to left and that helps surviving. Double jumping while holding left gives you a burst of speed to left, which is sometimes necessary to survive. However you don't want to always burn your dj when recovering.

The speed you can get with aerial drift, double jumping and doing some moves such as fox side b etc. is separate from the knockback speed you get from getting hit, and doesn't cancel it. Knockback speed deccelerates at a constant rate, which you can't influence at all. The way the speeds are separated has some interesting effects. For example, if you get launched at above horizontal trajectory as fox and side b as soon as hitstun ends, you usually move upwards during the startup of the side b. This is because the side b sets your regular fall speed to 0, but you still have some upwards knockback velocity remaining. If you dj instead of side b, the dj will reach higher than normally for the same reason.

Last edited:

ssknight7

Smash Apprentice
During hitstun you can't do anything to alter your trajectory. After hitstun holding left will accelerate your regular speed to left and that helps surviving. Double jumping while holding left gives you a burst of speed to left, which is sometimes necessary to survive. However you don't want to always burn your dj when recovering.

The speed you can get with aerial drift, double jumping and doing some moves such as fox side b etc. is separate from the knockback speed you get from getting hit, and doesn't cancel it. Knockback speed deccelerates at a constant rate, which you can't influence at all. The way the speeds are separated has some interesting effects. For example, if you get launched at above horizontal trajectory as fox and side b as soon as hitstun ends, you usually move upwards during the startup of the side b. This is because the side b sets your regular fall speed to 0, but you still have some upwards knockback velocity remaining. If you dj instead of side b, the dj will reach higher than normally for the same reason.
Thanks, I think I've got it but just want to double check with a hypothetical..

Lets say hit by some move that sends me directly to the right. The best way to survive this would be to DI directly up and immediately after hit stun, start holding to the left in order to "decelerate" my rightward movement.

Is this correct?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Yes, though you can hold left during hitstun as well, it just doesn't do anything while still in hitstun. Dj if you have to.

thf24

Smash Cadet
Let me add a little to clear some things up, because this is something I had trouble getting a handle on for a good while. I'm not the best with terminology, so anyone please correct me if I say something technically wrong.

At the time of getting hit, or just before, the first thing you want to input is your trajectory DI. This is what alters the angle of your initial trajectory and will best help you survive. The input is read on the second-to-last frame of hitlag, and this is the input you want to be perpendicular to your base trajectory. Trajectory DI has no affect on knockback distance, so input in the opposite direction of your knockback doesn't get you anything. Once hitlag has ended and your knockback trajectory has been calculated, you can now begin holding in the opposite direction (back towards the stage) for a potential effect. You still won't drift until hitstun has ended, but you could hypothetically save yourself by DI'ing back towards the stage if hitstun ends before you hit the blast zone and your unaltered momentum would have still carried you into it (ETA: you'd be better off using side-b or double jump to save yourself in this situation). That's usually a negligible margin though, and it's the trajectory DI that's important in saving you from normally fatal hits.

Last edited:

ssknight7

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys, this is what I thought I just wanted to make sure I understood completely. Noone ever really talks about knockback aversion.

Top Bottom