• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vegas Smash Covered By Local News - Paid To Play

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Having been teased for a Monday feature, Las Vegas news station KSNV released a news story called Paid To Play which covered e-sports while heavily showcasing the Las Vegas Smash scene at the 210 man event DVDA #5. Covered by Craig Fiegener from the KSNV news team, this video features interviews local Smasher Sam "SIM" Timini and local tournament organizer Bassem "Bear" Dahdouh. It also shows Z, Okie, BAM, ZeRo, FOW and MJG in action. The video from the newscast can be found here, but for those who cannot watch here is the news release from the KSNV News Website.
---​

LAS VEGAS (KSNV News3LV) -- Video gaming isn’t just for kids anymore.

Gamers, people who spend hours playing video games, can make thousands of dollars a month if they’re good enough.

The gaming culture has grown up, and gone pro.

What was once an activity to keep the kids entertained, has now become a professional sport and a career of choice that earns committed players some big bucks.

“Like any other career, if you put enough effort and work into it, it can become a career, and you can support yourself,” says Sam Tamimi, a professional game competitor.

“This is more than just a hobby,” Tamimi says. “It's an art. It's advanced, becoming something akin to music.”

And just like in other professional sports, gaming competitors can profit from what started as a game.

Just like concerts, or field sports such as football, baseball or soccer, e-sports are now big-money events drawing large crowds.

Fans shell out lots of cash to watch tournaments.

Fan appeal was evident at a tournament News 3 attended recently at Town Square. They come to see star gamers in person and to get pointers by watching their actions and strategies.

Some of them hope they too might one day compete for big money.

Local tournaments like these are streamed online to a global audience. Inside this virtual world the e-sports competitors are known by stage names and personas they've invented electronically. It’s all part of the show. Behind the scene there's another business at play. It’s about expanding a world gamers will pay to enter.

“You're not sitting back and letting the entertainment happen for you,” says game developer and Las Vegan Aaron Pollack.

He makes his money by making games. He created “Primal Carnage Extinction,” a dinosaur adventure that’s become nationally popular and competitive professionally.

“All sorts of studies have shown that gamers are one of the most engaged audiences,” Pollack says. “With each other.”

So engaged, that tournament host Bassem Dahdouh recognizes the value of star power.

“I've seen people with 1,000 subscribers a month, so that's $5 each,” Dahdouh says. “That's $5,000 a month.”

Professional gamers reach star status with a blend of skill and personality, and a big mix of social media.

“A lot of these people here made themselves their own brand,” Dahdouh says. “They brand themselves on Twitter. They brand themselves on YouTube. Instead of having them play a game, they're a character playing a game.”

The Internet is key. The sport is hitting a boundless cyber groove with controllers across a lucrative web. And since people will pay for it, this isn't a game for amateurs any more.

---​

It doesn't seem like the coverage will stop here either:

Congratulations to the Vegas Smash scene and may the success keep on coming. It is inspiring to see Smash and e-sports in general hitting mainstream media. Hopefully this will encourage players to reach out to their local news outlets to receive their own coverage!

SmashCapps wants to personally encourage readers to thank Craig Fiegener on Twitter for the awesome news coverage. To keep up with SmashCapps and all things Smash follow him on Twitter.

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
Video gaming isn’t just for kids anymore.
Statements like these always make it seem like mainstream media outlets have only just realised that e-sports are a thing.

It's either that, or they're trying to tailor to an older audience, and if that's the case, why are they talking about e-sports? Audiences from my parents' generation seem to mostly only be interested about gaming in the news when it has to do with leading to violence or harming education or something (I'm generalising, but bear with me). With statements like "And just like in other professional sports, gaming competitors can profit from what started as a game," and even needing to define what a gamer is, they're obviously not talking to the younger generation that already knows this kind of thing exists.

I'm all for more coverage of the Smash scene, don't get me wrong. It just seems a bit weird that they would say it in this way, especially since pro gaming has been around for at least a decade.

Last edited:

DJ Arson

Smash Rookie
Statements like these always make it seem like mainstream media outlets have only just realised that e-sports are a thing.

It's either that, or they're trying to tailor to an older audience, and if that's the case, why are they talking about e-sports? Audiences from my parents' generation seem to mostly only be interested about gaming in the news when it has to do with leading to violence or harming education or something. With statements like "And just like in other professional sports, gaming competitors can profit from what started as a game," and even needing to define what a gamer is, they're obviously not talking to the younger generation that already knows this kind of thing exists.

I'm all for more coverage of the Smash scene, don't get me wrong. It just seems a bit weird that they would say it in this way, especially since pro gaming has been around for at least a decade.
I see where you're coming from, especially when Dota 2, LoL, Counter Strike and the likes have been around for a very long time. While Smash has been around for just as long, maybe the competitive portion of it is starting to/or in the middle of "booming", for lack of a better term.

Like you said, the coverage is awesome and it'll totally lead to extra hype needed!

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
It IS being tailored to an older audience who don't really know anything about esports. That's fine. That's good. The younger audience doesn't need to be told what esports is, or that it's a thing. Older generations don't have to play, but more people knowing what it is and knowing that it exists means more ready acceptance of it becoming more mainstream. Which means more support for it, and a larger community. And that means more support for stuff like EVO. It gets bigger every year, but compare it to any major sporting event and it pales in comparison. Any time more people are made even dimly aware that this is getting to be something big, the world gets closer to being one where our hobby and passion is supported to the same level as professional sports. And that would be pretty cool, I think.
(Note: MOBAs will get there first. But even that is a step).

Da Loc

Smash Cadet
i was just in vegas all last week and never heard anything about this. :(

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Dat Craig Feignster Assist Trophy! Didn't know this was an items-legal tourney! :awesome:

It's a humbling change of heart for a news station to be extending a hand of the olive branch to grassroots gaming communities like the Vegas Smash scene. Certainly gives more viewers a much better image of what gamers actually are. Away from all the outcries of violence by moral guardians and the seldom Call of Duty launch night coverage touting sales and nothing more, complete with dudebro waiting lines.

SuperAtrain

Smash Rookie
This is all just an elaborate plot to convince people to spend money to watch tournements. Conspiracies are always the best answer to everything.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Wow we're officially considered gamblers that make money.
LOL. Seriously the amount of money you have to spend in the first place to get all of the equipment for a PROPER video set up is very expensive. You'd have to get at least above the median wage paid out these days and that's quite a bit hard to do.

jstv30

Smash Rookie
-- Video gaming isn’t just for kids anymore-

Ok now that quote psses me off when the news reporters says dat it feels like they are talking Sarcastically. And thats wats the news is Sarcasm they dont care all they care about is ohh Kim k and blah blah blah royal wedding.and blah blah blah entertainment and I apologize for the way I think the news is now a days. but im glad this community is getting the Recognition it deserves

BearUNLV

Esports Manager, Tournament Director
It's Bear from Vegas Smash 4.

Feel free to ask me anything Vegas Smash wise. And I didn't get to edit or suggest much of the story.

Best,
Bear

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
-- Video gaming isn’t just for kids anymore-

Ok now that quote psses me off when the news reporters says dat it feels like they are talking Sarcastically. And thats wats the news is Sarcasm they dont care all they care about is ohh Kim k and blah blah blah royal wedding.and blah blah blah entertainment and I apologize for the way I think the news is now a days. but im glad this community is getting the Recognition it deserves
I can certainly relate on cynicism against the popular media, especially given how a majority of it tends to go for the stories that get instant attention, such as petty controversy (and that's disregarding politics).

to be fair, though, most of them lived in a generation where your source of gaming was the local arcade at best. the fact that they see many 20-to-30-something-year-olds lugging a TV, a game console, and some controllers with maybe a friend or two tagging along just for a tournament... frankly, that kind of dedication for a game would surprise them, especially if they're very traditional-minded.

*lolstorybelow*
I once introduced my dad, who badgered me with paranoid "are you sure these guys are safe to be around" kinds of questions (it got old, fast...), to the players of a local scene. upon getting to know them, was blown away because it never occurred to him such a thing could happen. it especially surprised him since some of the players are in the military, and the guy said almost everyone on base games at some point.

Last edited:

jstv30

Smash Rookie
When im at my house/own town I do get paranoid. sometimes I think they are out to get me.My family is trying to make me snapp ought of it.Honestly right now this is my gate way to a better life Emotionally.thank you I can relate to your story there are a lot of people that have paranoia about these situations but in the end Hopefully they are happy.

Gamebox_64

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1950-9956-5176
Yoooo Vegas smash I was at that tourney but didn't make the news :p

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
It IS being tailored to an older audience who don't really know anything about esports. That's fine. That's good. The younger audience doesn't need to be told what esports is, or that it's a thing. Older generations don't have to play, but more people knowing what it is and knowing that it exists means more ready acceptance of it becoming more mainstream. Which means more support for it, and a larger community. And that means more support for stuff like EVO. It gets bigger every year, but compare it to any major sporting event and it pales in comparison. Any time more people are made even dimly aware that this is getting to be something big, the world gets closer to being one where our hobby and passion is supported to the same level as professional sports. And that would be pretty cool, I think.
(Note: MOBAs will get there first. But even that is a step).
While I definitely agree that this is a good thing, it just seems rather odd that they're going about it this way, as if this was a thing that had only happened recently (i.e. in the past few years). Pro gamers have been making a living through gaming for decades - as far as I know, all the way back to games like StarCraft 1 - and it would make more sense for the news to explain that there is a lot of history to pro gaming and that it has become, over time, a stable career choice for some.

My biggest worry with this is that, if it is presented in the wrong way, that people may respond to it in a wrong way, such as being afraid of it or angry about it, which can happen when people see something they don't understand on the news. I think this news site handled it decently, though, so it's not too big of an issue; I just sort of wanted to rant...

Last edited:
Top Bottom