• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vanilla Shulk is best Shulk

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
I've found that, just be being Vanilla Shulk I've had the best win count. Flipping through stages of Monado like a madman is just not recommended. I probably switch modes maybe 1-3 times per match, not really more as I find Vanilla Shulk just the most balanced in terms of overall potential.
Of course modes like Smash are good for the quicko KO, Speed for pressure on projectile users and even Shield just to live a biiiit longer.
But other than most of those, I find Vanilla Shulk to be best. Anyone else find that so? Not so?

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Not a bad option, but he's going to need to switch to stuff like Jump/Speed if he's going to have any hope of getting around campers, let alone faster/speedier characters. He needs dem' faster approach options and mindgames.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Shulk can do well without arts, but you're limiting yourself from so much potential without them. If you learn to control the Monado's power you'll be winning even more.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
Shulk can do well without arts, but you're limiting yourself from so much potential without them. If you learn to control the Monado's power you'll be winning even more.
Possibly, but sparing use of the arts seems to be useful when a lot of people adjust accordingly to the downsides of the arts.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Jump for recovery,speed for combos and pressure and shield for survival are all you need.I perfer vanilla most times as well.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Likewise, a lot of people will be able to adjust your playstyle if you don't spice things up with arts, especially since Shulk has very little safe options of attack otherwise. The downsides are generally outweighed by the advantages if you use them well. I mean, each art makes Shulk the best character in the game at something. Neglecting that is throwing away huge potential. And if nothing else, a Shulk that switches arts often is pretty near impossible to read as their flow is all over the place.

Sometimes the downsides can even be to your advantage. If you know someone like Sheik or Mario will go for their juggles, you can use Jump or even Smash early on as a safety measure to avoid the brunt of their damage. Speed' and Shield's decreased jump height lets you spam N-airs more. Buster (and maybe jump)can increase aggro (:4shulk:) with people trying to use it against you, and you can use that to your advantage.

I mean, you can play good with vanilla Shulk, but honestly, I really think it's a big waste to not use them most of the time, and hindering yourself from becoming even better. Even just alternating between Jump and Speed can dramatically change the playing field.

Last edited:

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
Likewise, a lot of people will be able to adjust your playstyle if you don't spice things up with arts, especially since Shulk has very little safe options of attack otherwise. The downsides are generally outweighed by the advantages if you use them well. I mean, each art makes Shulk the best character in the game at something. Neglecting that is throwing away huge potential. And if nothing else, a Shulk that switches arts often is pretty near impossible to read as their flow is all over the place.

Sometimes the downsides can even be to your advantage. If you know someone like Sheik or Mario will go for their juggles, you can use Jump or even Smash early on as a safety measure to avoid the brunt of their damage. Speed' and Shield's decreased jump height lets you spam N-airs more. Buster (and maybe jump)can increase aggro (:4shulk:) with people trying to use it against you, and you can use that to your advantage.

I mean, you can play good with vanilla Shulk, but honestly, I really think it's a big waste to not use them most of the time, and hindering yourself from becoming even better. Even just alternating between Jump and Speed can dramatically change the playing field.
Hmm that does make quite a bit of sense. I'd probably still be reserved but I can see some unique uses now beyond what's just Buster = More Damage, etc,. Thanks for the insight!

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm very well okay with cycling through Monado Arts aka MArts because I was a PT player from Brawl, so. . .I have no problem switching out / cycling.

Vanilla Shulk is fine, he's at least a decent character with decent stats. Though you're hindering yourself if you don't use MArts gradually. Claxus brings up fairly good points.
I like that Shulk is mid-heavy surviving for a good amount of time in a match, but frankly Shield can make your stock's longevity prolong so much that you could survive until you're in the ~200% range. . .who doesn't want to stock tank?

Also, @ NintendoPSX NintendoPSX I dig the May avatar. As for a metaphor, think of Shulk like vanilla ice cream, & the Monado Arts as certain extra flavors to your ice cream bowl into the mix.

Last edited:

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
I'm very well okay with cycling through Monado Arts aka MArts because I was a PT player from Brawl, so. . .I have no problem switching out / cycling.

Vanilla Shulk is fine, he's at least a decent character with decent stats. Though you're hindering yourself if you don't use MArts gradually. Claxus brings up fairly good points.
I like that Shulk is mid-heavy surviving for a good amount of time in a match, but frankly Shield can make your stock's longevity prolong so much that you could survive until you're in the ~200% range. . .who doesn't want to stock tank?

Also, @ NintendoPSX NintendoPSX I dig the May avatar. As for a metaphor, think of Shulk like vanilla ice cream, & the Monado Arts as certain extra flavors to your ice cream bowl into the mix.
That analogy is so beautiful and does such word play. I love it. Also yeah the avatar pic is 2qte.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
That analogy is so beautiful and does such word play. I love it. Also yeah the avatar pic is 2qte.
Jump! = Mint flavored ice cream
Speed! = Blue Moon flavored ice cream
Shield! = Rocky Road flavored ice cream
Buster! = Butter Pecan flavored ice cream
Smash! = Strawberry flavored ice cream

Don't ask me why I labeled those flavors, they kinda just fit somewhat. xD

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy

Don't ask me why I labeled those flavors, they kinda just fit somewhat. xD
Wow, I've never heard of Blue Moon flavored ice cream o:

I need to get back into cycling through the Arts again...

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Wow, I've never heard of Blue Moon flavored ice cream o:

I need to get back into cycling through the Arts again...
You don't need to get back into cycling because of not hearing about a Blue Moon flavor =P

I press B once for green because my love for the color. I press B 3 times because I like Shield mode a lot. The rest I just do for the advantages the Arts add to my mixing bowl of vanilla ice cream.

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
This is appropriate. As in real life, I find myself getting Blue Moon the most out of all available options. >.>

Never Vanilla. Vanilla is boring. Flavor is always better than no flavor.

...I like this metaphor. >.>

This is all wrong. Wrong analogy. Each flavor comes with a good and a bad to keep it similar to vanilla

Rocky road is too crunchy so you have to take it slowly
Blue moon is too mushy (Sticky, like how Shulk sticks near to the ground)
Mint is too cool so you have to wait for the coolness to lighten up a bit
Butter is too unhealthy
Strawberry is easy to chew

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
I do think that I should be using vanilla Shulk more than I currently do (I tend to be in Speed or Jump most of the time). Vanilla does have its uses, but I hate it when I see a Shulk being vanilla throughout a game and missing opportunities the other arts would grant him.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I do think that I should be using vanilla Shulk more than I currently do (I tend to be in Speed or Jump most of the time). Vanilla does have its uses, but I hate it when I see a Shulk being vanilla throughout a game and missing opportunities the other arts would grant him.
Hyper Monado Arts sounds perfect for you then. It's tiny info that can go a long way, but I think HMArts activate quicker than regular MArts so the momentary opportunities can be handled with by that bit quicker. (I can be wrong on that as I didn't completely test the numbers. I only tested numbers for MArts & DMArts, & found that DMArts take longer to activate than MArts do).

For those who mostly use Vanilla but lack using MArts in general, it'd be a decent idea to try out HMArts & stick with it, since Vanilla Shulk is mostly played when using the Custom Special anyways.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
No vanilla is great. I use M arts like every other B move, when I have need of it not before.
You shouldnt be in an art just for the sake of having an art on.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
OK vanilla is great.Use hyper arts for 22% buster attacks or 40+% smashes... Lol shulk or 80% smash kills.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I'm in Vanilla most of the time, second being Speed, and typically use my base form to figure out my opponent's tactics and tendencies on their particular character then using the appropriate MArt to exploit that weakness.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I'm a big fan of Speed to help with grab range and follow-ups from NAir or throws, Jump to get around annoying spacing, shield for when I'm at high percent or when I feel like spamming NAir (low lag-time means more nairs if I get closer to the ground), damage when I know I can land a hit or two, and smash when I would prefer them to be away from me or offstage. Otherwise, there's a lot of safety in vanilla that I like to have sometimes when I don't know whether one option or the other is best for the situation.

Top Bottom