• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vanilla Ike 1.0.0 Questions

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
Hey guys and gals, and everyone else who may not fall into those two categories, I have a question about Ike. Everyone seems to be talking about how good Ike is becoming, my question is: What was 1.0.0 Ike actually like?
I have never played Ike too much in any of the updates, but I'm curious about just how much he has improved.
Any input or links to 1.0.0 data on Ike would be much appreciated, thanks for reading.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Dtilt didn't combo into anything
Jab combo didn't link correctly
All of his aerials had more landing lag
QD had a slower activation time
Fair's hitbox was worse in multiple ways
Utilt had less lingering frames
Dash Attack was worthless
Ftilt had a sour hitbox and was slower

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
Thanks for the response, Someone said to me that Ike was good in 1.0.0, then was nerfed, and now buffed again in the current patch. He also said that fAir always auto-canceled, that all seemed wrong to me. So I figured I'd ask: What is your take on the current Ike compared to 1.0.0?

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Ike hasn't taken any nerfs since 1.0.0. Every time there has been a character balance he has either improved or stayed the same. Current Ike only has a handful of matchups that are unfavorable, where before a good 3rd of the cast would give him a 60/40 issue.

Current Ike can string together his movements more than before, is more accurate with his moves and has more power than his 1.0.0 version. They found a way to make him faster without actually increasing his base speed, and I can't stress enough how the new hitboxes improve his game significantly. Ike's best features are his power and range, and his range is now better.

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
Dtilt didn't combo into anything
Jab combo didn't link correctly
All of his aerials had more landing lag
QD had a slower activation time
Fair's hitbox was worse in multiple ways
Utilt had less lingering frames
Dash Attack was worthless
Ftilt had a sour hitbox and was slower
On top of all this:
Dtilt had more end lag and did 1% less, range was reduced slightly
Bair killed later and did 1% less
Fair started up slower
Dair had smaller hitboxes both on the sour and sweetspots
Dsmash had less horizontal knockback
Counter had the same knockback growth as all the other, faster counters
You could slide when using Counter at certain parts of a walk or run

Ike hasn't taken any nerfs since 1.0.0.
Depends on how you look at it. Sliding counter's removal may be considered a nerf or a bugfix. Dtilt's range decrease can be considered a nerf when looked at individually, but the tweaks we got in the same patch made the move better overall.

Last edited:

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
Fair came out much much slower
Ftilt came out much much slower and was punishable by most characters even when properly spaced
Dtilt's trajectory was up and away rather than mostly up

Arrei

Smash Lord
Any hitbox that isn't the strongest hitbox thrown out by a single strike. For Ike, his main sour hitboxes would be hitting with the hilt on the old Ftilt, hitting with the hilt on dash attack, the last three active frames of dash attack, the last frames of Utilt, the back end of Nair, hitting from up close with Dair (although that sour hitbox deals the same damage, it just doesn't spike) and the tip of FSmash and Usmash.

More noticeable sour hitboxes you might be familiar with would be Marth hitting anything from up close or Roy hitting with the tip of his sword.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Only thing Ike had better was the pivot grab since you could roll cancel it. Ike still had dthrow and uthrow combos, so it was a lot of pivot grabs and the occasional other attack. Fair was used as a pseudo-nair since the swing was slower.

Last edited:
Top Bottom