• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[v1.1.6] Cranky's Wisdom: A General Diddy Kong Match-Up Discussion Thread!!

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Don't forget to update the OP of this thread to make sure people know to discuss the Mario MU in the other thread instead of this one :colorful:

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Diddy main here and was wondering how to deal with Pikachu? It's funny because I barely face Pika on FG and my friend decided to start playing him against me the other day. Needless to say, Pika is unbeatable when I play as Diddy. Not to mention, I don't know much about playing against pika in the first place, since he isn't the most popular character. I faced a Pikachu main on FG today and it was literally the most toxic game of smash I ever had. His combos were inescapable, and he constantly used the annoying recovery dash in the neutral. In the beginning of the match I don't even have time to banana because the little rat charges me before I can do anything. I felt like unplugging my Wii U after all that.... Anyways, is he a bad match up for Diddy or something?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I wouldn't say it's a bad matchup for Diddy but it's not exactly his best either, probably even.

Basically what you wanna do is hold shield with a banana in hand, if he does something dumb, throw it at him and punish. You shouldn't approach and stay grounded with a banana in hand basically. Dtilt stops pikachu hard. You should play the ground game more against him.

If he dashes at you in the beginning of the game just stop him lol, between dtilt and fair. I'm fairly certain you have enough time to pull banana before he rushes you anyway.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Hey, Diddy main here and was wondering how to deal with Pikachu? It's funny because I barely face Pika on FG and my friend decided to start playing him against me the other day. Needless to say, Pika is unbeatable when I play as Diddy. Not to mention, I don't know much about playing against pika in the first place, since he isn't the most popular character. I faced a Pikachu main on FG today and it was literally the most toxic game of smash I ever had. His combos were inescapable, and he constantly used the annoying recovery dash in the neutral. In the beginning of the match I don't even have time to banana because the little rat charges me before I can do anything. I felt like unplugging my Wii U after all that.... Anyways, is he a bad match up for Diddy or something?
Your post has been moved to the appropriate thread for discussing troublesome matchups.

As for Pikachu, a lot of characters struggle with him because he's quick and his low stature ruins a lot of their characters strong tools. In our case, fair and monkey flip have to be used sparingly, but we still have an incredible dtilt. Don't forget that dtilt is your best punish in situations where Pikachu is low to the ground (eg. Bair landing lag, crouching). His grab game is weak outside of low percentages, so once you take some damage don't be afraid to camp shield with a banana, but before then try to avoid being grabbed by staying mobile and spacing well with dtilt/bairs/bananas. If you call out a Quick Attack (up-b) approach, throw out a hitbox (fair or uptilt IMO) and you will probably trade in your favour. Quick Attack makes Pikachu's hurtbox much larger and distorted and thus easier to hit.

PS. if anybody has any tips for any of the following MUs please let me know: Mewtwo, Corrin, Marth, Jigglypuff, and also the ever troublesome Mario >_>

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Pazx Pazx so on m2:

basically, the following are m2's options in the neutral, and nothing else: rising and landing fair, dtilt, shadow ball, shad aerial. aerials are punished by oos bair or fair or banana, dtilt is beaten by banana and, and fair will trade with our fair so it's best to give it a bit more respect.

Shadow ball is probably the best thing mewtwo can do in the neutral tbh, that's the only option diddy can't straight up beat, but to do that he has to get a lead first which is pretty damn hard considering we can get like a 30% combo at least every time we touch him cuz he's so fluffy and comboable.

been experimenting with fthrow > fair > dtilt at 0% but idk if thats viable tbh, on m2 i'd usually go straight for the uthrow double bair while keeping in mind he has enough time after the 1st bair to do a fair or something

at higher percents it could be a bit tough getting the dtilt but once u do m2's dead to dtilt > usmash, kills really early especially with rage. just walk around and fish for that dtilt and m2 can't really do much about it lol, just be careful cuz his dtilt has more range than ours i think, but has a sourspot at the end that doesn't lead to combos.

always recover high cuz his nair's a ***** otherwise and he can't kill off the top with aerials easily

so basically, to beat his neutral options:

dtilt: throw banana
fair: shield/respect it and then punish if you can, bair or banana oos is helpful here
shad aerial: same as above
shadow ball: the only thing you can't directly beat, u gotta shield it then figure out what to do in each scenario.

and remember he has a kill thow so dont rely on banana oos TOO much at high percents :^)

(its actually ridiculous how many MUs come down to "just hold banana in shield m8 u'll be grand")

ThaQAtaQ

Smash Rookie
I have been having issues against Sonic in the neutral game.

I am naturally a "safe aggressive" player, but I find I need to sit back vs Sonic. Issue here is that I must wait for Sonic to spin-dash, but I don't know how to punish this play. Banana does not stop spin and none of Diddy's attacks seem to out-prioritize it.

What ends up happening is that I must make "guesses" and end up getting punished. Or I hold shield too much and get grabbed.

I am starting to think you just need to play very very patient and wait out spin dash. If he closes in too much, banana glide toss backwards. If you hit, follow up, otherwise, jump and monkey flip to the other side to create space and pull out another banana. Eventually he will spin-dash which you will shield all the way through. Sonic will then be in the air, so you either banana when he lands, or try to FAIR him while he is in the air.

Once he has high damage, you can start throwing out d-tilt to setup an up-smash for the kill. Here and there you can try an offensive banana, but in general I think you need to play patient.

What is the general strategy you usually take when facing Sonic? (If you have any good videos that demonstrates, even better!)

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I have been having issues against Sonic in the neutral game.

I am naturally a "safe aggressive" player, but I find I need to sit back vs Sonic. Issue here is that I must wait for Sonic to spin-dash, but I don't know how to punish this play. Banana does not stop spin and none of Diddy's attacks seem to out-prioritize it.

What ends up happening is that I must make "guesses" and end up getting punished. Or I hold shield too much and get grabbed.

I am starting to think you just need to play very very patient and wait out spin dash. If he closes in too much, banana glide toss backwards. If you hit, follow up, otherwise, jump and monkey flip to the other side to create space and pull out another banana. Eventually he will spin-dash which you will shield all the way through. Sonic will then be in the air, so you either banana when he lands, or try to FAIR him while he is in the air.

Once he has high damage, you can start throwing out d-tilt to setup an up-smash for the kill. Here and there you can try an offensive banana, but in general I think you need to play patient.

What is the general strategy you usually take when facing Sonic? (If you have any good videos that demonstrates, even better!)
What I generally do is wait for the Sonic to commit either with spin dash or something else (like you said there) and then punish the landing or when he's in the air. Definitely avoid flat stages against him (FD and duck hunt) because they restrict the times where you could pull out banana in the neutral, whereas on T&C or smashville you could retreat to the platforms and pull out a banana. Once you have a banana then that's it, just wait for them to commit. Staying in shield is definitely a smart option and you should be able to react to when sonic just runs ahead and do something before he's able to grab (roll, spotdodge, jump, throw banana, bair/fair oos, etc)

Also always recovery high cuz spring's a *****

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13

The Mewtwo tips nearly paid off, ty for the advice guys, I think I did ok for not having any MU experience :(

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Going to skip Bayonetta due to nerfs and lack of contributing to the thread who should we start on next?

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Going to skip Bayonetta due to nerfs and lack of contributing to the thread who should we start on next?
I didn't realize this was a question, woops.

We can do Mewtwo, and I will post something as in-depth as I can without taking a couple of months. I can also ask the Mewtwo boards.

Sonicninja115

Mewtwo sounds good lol, someone go through that video I posted and tell me what I did wrong ;)
It is extremely hard for me to do a lot of things at once, so I am sorry I overlooked it. I will go through it tonight or tomorrow and work on the Diddy/Mewtwo thing more. I just had patch stuff, Guide, Youtube and GOML so I had no life last week.

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
Hello fellow Diddy players, the Wario boards are currently discussing the Diddy MU, click here :4wario: to join the conversation ;3

Valciar

Smash Rookie
NNID
Valciar
Any new discussions coming up soon? Don't know if you have a character already in mind or if people could request one.

TsarofToon

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1306-6595-6677
Hi I'm new here. Came from the Toon Link boards, but I mains Diddy as well. I think we should do a matchup for Bayonetta if we haven't done one already. Also, we should hold weekly votes and what character to do. That or just have someone recommend the next one. Ill also try and help out with the Bayo matchup. Have a nice day -TsarofToon

Sonicninja115

Hi I'm new here. Came from the Toon Link boards, but I mains Diddy as well. I think we should do a matchup for Bayonetta if we haven't done one already. Also, we should hold weekly votes and what character to do. That or just have someone recommend the next one. Ill also try and help out with the Bayo matchup. Have a nice day -TsarofToon
The main problem is that we don't have enough active users. Maybe a joint MU thing, between an active and less active board, but we can't really do one as of now. If you want to discuss the MU though, we do have a thread for that I believe.

Paint89

Smash Rookie
Hi, I’m a Diddy player but I have problems with Ryu. To be honest with you I don’t know what I have to do in this match specially when he starts his combos with the U-Tilt .

How should I do the DI? A friend told me because diddy is fast faller I have to DI down but when I do that he punch me even more or in higher % behind him obviously if he reacts to the DI he can punish me but as he said are the better options.

I think that’s my big deal with this matchup How DI Ryu because I hate those tilts and also if you have other tips I’ll be happy to receive it. Thank you for your help.

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
I don't have too much to say, but I like to spam SHFF fair because it makes it hard for him to get in. Grab combos work pretty long on him because of his fall-speed and weight. I think you be be able to SDI up-tilt as well.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Erm, can we actually talk about bayo?

That post was probably post patch believing she was dead, but we can all see shes gonna be relevant for a while.

Any tips? Im getting a 2ndary Diddy to stop getting double elim'd by Tyroy....

How does the monkey SDI? Mixup oriented stuff aside, some general tips would be good.

My gameplan rn is just approach with walking shield + banana, hoping to trigger panic jumps in the area where he cant reactively WTi the banana. Then kill confirm.

Avoid the edge at all costs, execute the above from the middle of the stage. in this end, crossup rolls are often worth the risk, especially with dtilt mixed in for ground dominance.

Anything im missing in my general plan?

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Hi, I’m a Diddy player but I have problems with Ryu. To be honest with you I don’t know what I have to do in this match specially when he starts his combos with the U-Tilt .

How should I do the DI? A friend told me because diddy is fast faller I have to DI down but when I do that he punch me even more or in higher % behind him obviously if he reacts to the DI he can punish me but as he said are the better options.

I think that’s my big deal with this matchup How DI Ryu because I hate those tilts and also if you have other tips I’ll be happy to receive it. Thank you for your help.
If you're getting uptilted at most percents you want to mix up between SDIing away and then when the Ryu starts walking forwards to try to catch you SDI as hard as you can back towards him and down so you can get through him. At kill percents, SDI up and away and jump, this way even if you get hit by TSRK it will probably be the weak hit.

As for more general stuff, just play super passive and campy in this MU. If he jumps, run away and then dash back in with a banana/fair or even pivot grab. He struggles to get past fair walls as well, but you have to mix up your timing and show willingness to use other options as well. Ryu also struggles to catch a Diddy with the lead, especially since he has poor jump height, so you can run the timer against him a little bit by monkey flipping over him to try to retake stage control.

PS. Merging this thread with the MU thread

Top Bottom