• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utilt+DJC utilizations

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
We all know about peach's new uptilt right? Good, now do we know about DJC? Yea...........how foreign sounding that may be for a character like this. As a new PM Peach player you might just only be seeing a tremendous amount of FCed aerials and such due to you coming from melee or if you are just new in general, but in PM she has a new platform (and possibly new combo string) game with her new uptilt that calls for a not as often used tactic. That tactic is called DJC. I will be breaking down new DJC utilizations in this thread for a tactic that has been overlooked a lot in the current peach metagame and how effective it can really be.

Platform options:

As general smashers, we all know how long it can take to get your thumb to an uptilt position at times, but Peach is one of the few unique characters that can actually use something commonly known among ness mains as a DJC (Double Jump Cancel). This is something that me myself have not seen utilized that often in Melee, But with PM being a well inviting game for new smashers, i took it upon myself with my discovery mentality to find new things that might make her stronger/Weaker in this game. (I haven't found ANY weaknesses so far btw XD) Alright, now if you see an opponent land on a platform and/or roll or something and you want to be able to catch him/her with utilt, all you have to do is dash to where the opponent will be, then DJC, then u-tilt. This is done by dashing to your desired location, then press y and then immediately doing a full hop right after, then u-tilt. What this does is it enables you to interrupt your dashing animation to stay in place, and the full hop lets you keep you control stick up enabling you to perform an u-tilt. This is something that would not prove to be as useful in Melee considering as how utilt didn't have as much range in Melee, But with the inclusion of Brawl mechanics, we can have yet another great way to read opponents platform actions! (with the other options being nair and uair)

Combo possibility:

I have found that besides u-air, u-tilt is a great combo starter after u-throw. Having DJC at my disposal, i found a possibility that it could be a great string as well. The opponent may be able to DJ out of it, but i think if you are fast enough, after u-throw, you can U-tilt, then dash, then DJC so that you can perform an utilt right after canceling your dash animation with DJC to catch the opponent with another utilt when He/She is DIing. At 0% You can hit a character like Bowser or DK up to 3 times with it, after which you can do a full hop fair to send the opponent flying and edgeguard from there. Again there is a possibility of your opponent DJing out of it, but i believe you can pull it off if you are fast enough.

Feel free to comment if this thread has been helpful to you, or if you would like to put your input on this new strat. Or if you have seen it done before by another Peach.

K@$h

Smash Cadet
interesting i have played to much with u-tilt, would a WD instead of a dash that is DJC'ed be more effective? (less buttons to press = more room for error) what characters is this effective with, you seemed to mention only big characters, would this work on Fastfallers? i like the idea though ill have to try it, it will just make peach that much harder to beat
:)

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
interesting i have played to much with u-tilt, would a WD instead of a dash that is DJC'ed be more effective? (less buttons to press = more room for error) what characters is this effective with, you seemed to mention only big characters, would this work on Fastfallers? i like the idea though ill have to try it, it will just make peach that much harder to beat
:)
Hmmmmmm, WD, id have to test that out, thnx for repling! Ill admit that the combo string portion is anything but conclusive atm because i havent actually used it in a real match. So sharing your ideas will help out a ton in Finding out to what extent she has been buffed in this game!

EDIT: It turns out that WD is actually slower and still requires you to get your thumb in u-tilt position. Which is slower than doing the DJC and is actually unreliable if you are not good at doing Peach's WD consistently.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Is it me or i you try to DJC as fast as possible she won't even leave the floor and you can't aerial? Don't remember this happening...

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Thats the same as always, its called DJL (Double jump land) and is fairly useful in some spots (if you are quick you can d-smash OOS using it)

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
We aren't trying to do an aerial from a DJC, rather we are trying to take advantage of a new longer range option of hers to tech chase from below a platform is all.

Malart

Smash Apprentice
heh, I love dashing straight at someone, going into a full dash, then DJLing and immediately dashing in the other direction. Effectively gives peach a DD of unlimited distance if you are really fast with the button presses, or if you do push the jump button while holding left or right to dash, then do a quick upwards half-circle to the other side. I really love this tech, pretty much lets peach do any attack OoS or out of a dash.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
0_0, *Goes to experiment*
Sounds really promising, but it sounds more like a good fakeout option rather than an unlimited DD option.

Top Bottom