• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utilizing the laser.

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
So I've recently gotten the timing down for SHL and SHDL, but I've been thinking how to actually use the lasers, especially on smaller stages like FoD and Yoshis?

I've also been trying to learn turnaround laser and approaching/retreating turnaround laser but I keep doing the fox illusion. Am I doing it too fast or too slow?

It's mostly the spacing of lasers that I can't get down when using lasers overall, I end up being close enough to get punished, or I end up overshooting my lasers and miss non stop, are his lasers more of a pressure tool, or to actually tack on damage?

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
If you get side b you are still angling your control stick which means you're either too fast with pressing b or too slow letting go of the stick.
Lasers have no knockback so they are purely for damage and forcing your opponent to approach. Because of the commitment behind them lasering is a lot harder on the small stages. Luckily said stages are smaller and the need for lasers is smaller on them.

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
If you get side b you are still angling your control stick which means you're either too fast with pressing b or too slow letting go of the stick.
Lasers have no knockback so they are purely for damage and forcing your opponent to approach. Because of the commitment behind them lasering is a lot harder on the small stages. Luckily said stages are smaller and the need for lasers is smaller on them.
So basically, it's a better idea for me to laser on stages like Dream Land, FD and Pokemon Stadium?
While with the other smaller stages, I should be more aggressive and approach more?

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
You still don't have to approach more per say on the small stages. Lasers to force your opponent to approach just aren't smart in a lot of cases on yoshis/fod since the amount of stage you have to give is enough to put yourself in a corner fast. You can also camp with non commital movement and just forcing your opponent to approach via taking their stage away but generally lasers are indeed significantly better on dreamland/fd/stadium than on the small stages.

This doesn't mean you can never laser on yoshi/fod or are forced to laser on dl/fd/ps all the time there's more than laser camp and aggro approaches.

Top Bottom