• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utilizing the dair

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
Lucas's dair is great for short hops but it can also be used as an addtional jump, propelling lucas up to greater heights. It's difficult to control but using dair then thrusting upward quickly can allow for a fast recovery.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
I actually perfer Lucas's Dair full-hopped. If shorthopped, he lands before it is finished and has landing lag. If full-hopped (and executed immediately), it hits them with the first three hits, knocking them upwards, and then spikes them back to ground with the fourth hit. Also, due to its long range below him, this puts shield pressure on them even when he is at full jump height.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I actually spent a few hours messing with this to learn the mechanics. I found it almost useless to Dair on a SH as most characters can hit you immediately after due to the lag. I have cut it completly out of my game play. And also have grown to dis-like Dair altogether against skilled players.

The Dair pushes you up only if you do it at the start of your second jump. I have found using Dair on second jump to be far less difficult to spike than first jump. Only problem is Bair is far better for chasing off edge than Dair.

Only situation I have found so far for Dair is against ranged edge grabs such as link, TL, lucas etc. If they grab the edge with their chain as you are Dairing on the second jump it will spike them....but this only works if they are newb enough not to toadstool you. I learned my lesson many times not to attempt this unless u are messing around such as an FFA.

Overall Bair or PKT are far better.

Anyone find any good uses for Dair?

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
It's useless SH'ed against most characters. You should full hop and launch the attack right when your foot is at the level of the head of your enemy. Against skilled players, it's pretty hard to pull off, and the b-air is much better as a spike. But, as an occasional attack to catch someone off guard it can be useful. It's not hard to combo this move into a f-tilt as well if it's hit right.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I've found a way to pretty reliably spike with it. A low portion of the fourth hit spikes. The problem is that if you jump out and try to spike someone while moving down from above, you'll usually hit them with the other three hits, stunning them in place, and the fourth hit will connect too far up for the spike.

Instead, try starting slightly below them, and use the spike just as you ascend with your jump. You should hit with the first hits and stun them as you move upwards, so that the final hit connects perfectly and spikes them.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Also?

Anyway, I use the D-air to spike people recovering from below the stage, particularly Snake and Sonic, occasionally. I try to avoid it on the stage but it can be good to give you a little variety.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Blegh. I thought I edited that post, but the system keeps blowing up on me.

Reason I was editing is 'cause I noticed that Wildfire up above was saying about the same thing. But I guess I'll leave it be ...

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I mostly use the dair just as a change from my other aerials just to keep the decreased knockback from becoming too much of a problem. I try to spike with it, but I usually hit with the first or second kick, making it pretty much useless.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
In reference to Aevin post....usually they will toad stool you before you can ascend through them. It will work till they figure out, duh...he's below me...

Top Bottom