• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utilizing Flame Pillar

TheUltimateEbil

Smash Rookie
Hey all! I'm a dedicated 1111 Mii Gunner player (out of personal preference and legality standings), but have been having trouble finding a way to make the Flame Pillar side b work in my favor. The best use I've found so far is to use it to stop rapid approaching attacks, such as Sonic's B moves. But is there any other way I can use Flame Pillar in any other ways?

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Hey all! I'm a dedicated 1111 Mii Gunner player (out of personal preference and legality standings), but have been having trouble finding a way to make the Flame Pillar side b work in my favor. The best use I've found so far is to use it to stop rapid approaching attacks, such as Sonic's B moves. But is there any other way I can use Flame Pillar in any other ways?
Yeah there was another thread from January about Flame Pillar tricks, but it only had an OP. Here's what @ GS3K GS3K said
I did some experimenting with flame pillar on battlefield after I randomly started doing things I don't normally do with it in an exhibition against a CPU to kill time. The gunner I used for this was semi-short/average weight, and has flame pillar equipped as a side special. Not sure if these are actually useful, just thought they were interesting.

Short Flame - This is rather simple to execute, and can be done in two different ways
  • Do a short hop forward, and use flame pillar while in midair. If done correctly, the flame pillar should appear close to Gunner's body when he/she lands on the ground. The distance the flame appears away from you is determined by how quickly you do side-b while in the air.
  • Another way to do this is to run off of a platform and hold in the direction you're running (this works best on battlefield/big battlefield, or where the platforms are near the ground), and the moment you leave the platform, use flame pillar. This method usually makes the flame appear right next to Gunner. The thing to avoid doing with this is using flame pillar too early and dropping off the edge via edge-cancel (as shown in thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXGfarK_6wM vid by san., this can be done by doing a running/pivot side-b near the edge of a platform, and you pretty much quickly drop off the edge without doing the somersault/flip you automatically do when you normally run off an edge)
Angling Flame - It's pretty much doing a short hop + flame pillar near the edge of a platform/stage to hit things below the platform/edge you're standing next to. You can get the pillar to appear on the ground by doing this (due to the downward angle going towards the ground), something that doesn't happen when you do flame pillar stationary near an edge.

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet
-Flame Pillar is a useful mix-up in place of Forward Air or to hit airborne opponents at an angle you can't hit with F-Air
-Shorthop retreats
-B-Reverse momentum in the air
-Use it while returning to stage to deny the enemy access to the ledge to avoid being camped
-Mii Height determines how far the flame pillar will travel when used on the ground
-One thing to keep in mind is that the hitbox is not as high as the flame appears to be. The hitbox is a sort of white/yellow 'spike' inside the flame itself and it gets smaller as the move goes on, aka the hitbox is largest when the move comes out.

It can also be used for turning around instantly off of platforms by pivoting into the move: http://smashboards.com/threads/flame-slide-flame-cancel-flame-pillar-at.378524/ This is most useful for ledge-trumping, as it allows instant-snapping to a ledge after running off the stage.

Ledge stuff~
When used on the ledge, the flame pillar can hit opponents before they grab the ledge for free damage while they try to recover. This can hit enemies through the stage itself - Be accurate with this, as the hitbox of the move is larger as it comes out so it is more likely to hit opponents at this time.
You can also combo it into a fully-charged charge shot at around 90-110% depending on enemy fall speed and weight for an early kill, though if they're higher percent than that they will fly above the charge shot (You might be able to catch them by short-hopping immediately while releasing the charge shot however) The flame pillar on ledge will arc them right into the charge shot and they can't dodge or jump.
Alternatively, you can train your opponent to recover past the flame pillar in a particular way to get onto stage, then punish for a kill when they're at kill percents. Most opponents I have come across will either roll from ledge to stage to recover, or they flat out avoid recovering to the ledge because the flame pillar ledge camp is too dangerous.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
So, apparently, Mii Gunner can double-pivot a Flame Pillar to completely reverse his momentum and slide backwards while firing a Flame Pillar forwards. This sometimes buffers a roll somehow, and I have no idea how. I can't figure out the timing on it, and it feels incredibly inconsistent. It feels like doing it too fast causes a dodge roll, and doing it too slow causes just a single pivot.

Last edited:

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
So, apparently, Mii Gunner can double-pivot a Flame Pillar to completely reverse his momentum and slide backwards while firing a Flame Pillar forwards. This sometimes buffers a roll somehow, and I have no idea how. I can't figure out the timing on it, and it feels incredibly inconsistent. It feels like doing it too fast causes a dodge roll, and doing it too slow causes just a single pivot.
I've done that on accident.

Top Bottom