• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utility of down air

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
Outside of its fastfall spike, what uses for dair are there? It's a relatively decent move percentage wise, but it feels really unsafe every time I use it. It autocancels from a high height, kind of like Sonic's dair, but it feels like it's highly predictable. Are there any other good ways to use dair?

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Outstage, I think it is really good there , but don't suicide yourself :p

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
You can actually slightly tilt the D air spike's direction to prevent from SD. So Mr. G&W's D air is actually much more safer to use than Toon Link and Sonic's.

Last edited:

Kathuzada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kathuzada
If it feels unsafe to use and you don't feel comfortable using it I would say don't use it. I would never watch someone's gameplay and say "you needed to use more key".That aside:

Personally I never like to use it off stage, but it can be used to go from high up to down low if you want to recover low.

As for on stage I have noticed that the tip of the key will reach through platforms and can hit, but the chances of this working are generally low.

At low percents it follow the Dthrow with a Dair. There is some other stuff you can do after the Key (I think a Regrab), but I don't remember since I mainly go for the Up Throw > Fire > Credit Card.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Recently I've been implimenting run off d-air to catch people's 1 frame. G&W's spike has the best Strength of spike / active hitbox ratio in the game. The thing comes out on frame 10 and the spike part is active for sooo long. It makes it really easy to react to recoveries and punish. I love it :3

Athorment

Smash Cadet
I feel it would be much better if it had the Robin treatment: Smash Dair? Quick fall down. Tilted Dair? the key comes out but no fast fall.

Though we have GimR in the house, the keyblade master so it would be a good idea to hear him out.
With run off d-Air you mean running off the ledge and quickly using it, right?

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
Recently I've been implimenting run off d-air to catch people's 1 frame. G&W's spike has the best Strength of spike / active hitbox ratio in the game. The thing comes out on frame 10 and the spike part is active for sooo long. It makes it really easy to react to recoveries and punish. I love it :3
I've always considered dair to be too risky to use offstage when you're at/below the stage because of the risk of SDing, but when I think about it, it can punish the 1-frame edge snap. And if you miss, you can just double jump up b back up pretty safely. Outside of edgeguarding, I sometimes use it at its autocancel height to bait people into throwing out a move to try to punish it, and you can usmash or shield their attack and punish. It works surprisingly well against people who don't know how to fight G&W.

Furret24

Smash Master
I've always considered dair to be too risky to use offstage when you're at/below the stage because of the risk of SDing, but when I think about it, it can punish the 1-frame edge snap. And if you miss, you can just double jump up b back up pretty safely. Outside of edgeguarding, I sometimes use it at its autocancel height to bait people into throwing out a move to try to punish it, and you can usmash or shield their attack and punish. It works surprisingly well against people who don't know how to fight G&W.
What is it's auto cancel height?

Top Bottom