• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utilities of a jump-cancelled grab?

Hee443

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hee443
3DS FC
0087-2817-2596
Usually tech for me is quite obvious what the benefits could be for them, but jump-cancelled grabs don't make sense to me, what am I gaining if I implement this into my play compared to normal grabs?

Mystic-

Smash Apprentice
Usually tech for me is quite obvious what the benefits could be for them, but jump-cancelled grabs don't make sense to me, what am I gaining if I implement this into my play compared to normal grabs?
less laggy/punishable than a normal dash grab if you whiff. Sometimes you need to use dash grab if you want to grab a short crouching target because it lets you scoop them up

Hee443

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hee443
3DS FC
0087-2817-2596
less laggy/punishable than a normal dash grab if you whiff. Sometimes you need to use dash grab if you want to grab a short crouching target because it lets you scoop them up
So let's say a Marth was crouching, I could dash jump-cancel grab and actually grab him then?

Hee443

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hee443
3DS FC
0087-2817-2596
So let's say a Marth was crouching, I could dash jump-cancel grab and actually grab him then?
I just tested this all out and realized I can grab even kirby with normal a dash grab and a jump-cancelled grab, so is the only benefit have to do with less lag?

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
I believe it comes out faster as well as having less end lag. These small things matter and can add up. It's a fairly easy tech to do. You would do yourself a favor getting into a habit of doing JC grabs.

Windrose

Smash Lord
jump cancel grab allows you to do a standing grab instead of a dash/run grab. There's a lot less lag for jc grabs.

For different characters, jc grab might have more range then dash grab.

For falcon, 99% of the time you want to JC grab.

Mystic-

Smash Apprentice
I just tested this all out and realized I can grab even kirby with normal a dash grab and a jump-cancelled grab, so is the only benefit have to do with less lag?
99% of the time you want to JC grab. However, dash grab has some rare uses because it lets you scoop up people you otherwise would be unable to. IMO just get used to always JC grabbing for now

Hee443

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hee443
3DS FC
0087-2817-2596
99% of the time you want to JC grab. However, dash grab has some rare uses because it lets you scoop up people you otherwise would be unable to. IMO just get used to always JC grabbing for now
Everything People have responded with has convinced me to do it, there are only upsides and isn't too hard to pull off at all.

Thor

Smash Champion
With the following exceptions, jump-cancelled grabs are better than dash grabs because they posses less endlag and in a few cases are faster in startup (in some cases they can actually be slower, but that's only if you do the JC quite late).

If you mained Yoshi or Samus I would say you don't want to jump-cancelled grab (at least most of the time), since I believe their running grabs have the interesting property of less endlag than their standing grabs. I think Bowser gets a huge range boost on his dash grab so he might be someone who doesn't always JC grab either.

Jigglypuff can duck Marth's JC grab, but not his dash grab, so in that MU, you want to dash grab if Puff is crouching.

However, you seem to be a Falcon main through and through (there are what, 5 Falcons under your name?), so your conclusion is correct.

Just to note, there is no difference between a shield grab, a JC grab, and a standing grab (ie either walking or standing still), except that JC grabs have a small amount of extra startup because you have to actually be in jumpsquat for at least one frame to actually cancel the jump. So you don't need to JC grab out of shield or anything like that (you CAN, but that's just more buttons to press and always at least one frame slower than just a regular shield grab, so unless you are completely obsessed with APM it's a bad idea). While I assume you knew that, it was never explicitly stated and saying as much doesn't hurt anyone.

Last edited:

Sheepomg

Smash Rookie
Im pretty sure the active areas (the "grab boxes") in a JC grab vs. normal running grab are different. I find it much easier to downthrow chain grab a marth at low percent using a JC grab... As a falcon.

A JC grab has a shorter animation at the latter end. This means less time for your opponent to react and punish if you miss a grab.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
Im pretty sure the active areas (the "grab boxes") in a JC grab vs. normal running grab are different. I find it much easier to downthrow chain grab a marth at low percent using a JC grab... As a falcon
They are significantly different. The running grab has a much larger area, and can even grab behind him (aka as falcon's butt grab). Apparently, its still not worth the lag that follows it to use that grab.

Last edited:
Top Bottom