• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utilising Wavebounce Shield-Breaker to Punish Ledge Getup/Attack/Roll

TheLegendarySlate

Smash Rookie
I have been labbing out potential uses for the recently new marth tech which allows him to slide back while charging a shield breaker. Upon release, it hasnt seen much use due to the difficulty and the fact that it is incredibly situational. After using the tech for awhile now I have come across, what seems to be its most applicable situation which is baiting an option on a recovering foe and punish accordingly. Please see video, showing its application. All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxXR-6BZ6Lk

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I dont think marth has the aerial mobility to "drift" back after an aerial to make use of the wavebounce
Tested it out right now, it looks like it doesn't actually make much of a difference as without the wavebounce:

It might be useful though (for faking a retreat, etc.) but idk

Last edited:

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
Tested it out right now, it looks like it doesn't actually make much of a difference as without the wavebounce:

It might be useful though (for faking a retreat, etc.) but idk
It wasn't supposed to break shield more effectively with wavebounce, it was just about adding a mindgame.
The OP even talks about "baiting" :)

Pixel_

Smash Ace
It wasn't supposed to break shield more effectively with wavebounce, it was just about adding a mindgame.
The OP even talks about "baiting" :)
If you jump back (or in this case, fade back after a Fair) then the opponent will see it as retreating, but the wavebounce turns that backwards momentum into an attack. I'd think that that would throw off the opponent, but idk how effective it is with Marth in the air. Also the shield break is only because I'm fighting a CPU, in an actual battle it'd probably just be a normal hit (but shield breaks just look so much more cool).

Top Bottom