• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utilising Links AT's.

Jack_Shadow

Smash Rookie
I think all link mains have got to have seen Izaw's guide for Link, if not watch it now.

So there are many Advance Techniques for Link and in training im sure we can all perform every one.

But in battle i find its a different story. So basically, I'd like to know which ones HAVE to be used and which ones are maybe more for show.

Also i have trouble, as i said, incorperating some into my game, a few techniques like the F-Smash with bomb. I just dont know when to use it, im trying to concentrate on spacing not mind games.

So if anyone has any ideas on when is the best time to use any AT, for example DAC (which i like to do after a knockdown from the boomerang), please share your oppinion.

[Obvioulsy Z-air & Arrow cancelling should be used always.]

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Well...

95% of Link's AT's are very very conditional. You just don't get the opportunity to use them.
Zair is good, but spamming zair is very bad. Opponents have tons of options to avoid, go around, or punish zair. This is the AT to use most though (if you consider pressing a button in the air an AT).
AC is still a pretty good technique, but don't abuse it. It's really easy to see coming the third or fourth time around.

DAC is NOT spammable by any means. Most characters' jabs clash with it, and most character's smashes will go right through it. You pretty much walk into their waiting arms for death. Only use it to follow up an attack on VERY RARE occasions, and do it far, far less for an approach. Say, approaching once every five matches.
Bombsliding is the only other technique I can think of that should be used occasionally. Forward/fakeout bombslides can set you up for an fsmash, and Upward bombslides let you cover distance and hit foes above you normally wouldn't be able to. But of course, like any other AT, the novelty stales quickly on your opponent, and they'll be dodging your bombslides and punishing you within a few tries.

Pivot boosting and craq walking can be helpful very, very occasionally too.

Get the basics of Link down before you try to do any AT's.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Read this:

A Beginner's Guide: The Basics of Link by Sasook (the non-messed up version btw)
[Link Removed]

Then read this (YES ALL OF IT, I'VE READ IT TWICE SO YOU CAN DO IT AT LEAST ONCE) :

The Triforce of Courage: An Advanced Link Guide by Nintenjoe
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=194177

Start off by learning your character's limits in battle; Ex: Link's arrow range means nothing in most battles, by virtue of the length of time it takes to charge and how easy it is to dodge.
These guides are an excellent way of learning... the basics of Link.

Havokk edit:
My mistake

Jack_Shadow

Smash Rookie
Thanks alot for your advice, I've read both guides but need to go through the second again really

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Some of the gale boomerangs push and pull possibilities have been useful in putting your opponent where they don't want to be. Some people forget that it comes back to the user, pulling the opponent towards them. That could be a nice time to use a high priority move, such as f-smash(be careful) or z-air. You can even do DAC. The only problem is that it the wind from the boomerang has not hit stun. The moving opponent will most likely have disjointed range.

All I am saying is that you should make your own opportunities, instead of waiting for one. Gale boomerang can do something like that.

This is simple but risky.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
There are some fairly well known techniques, Darxmarth.

Double DSmash
You hit with the first hit of the dsmash, and the boomerang pulls the opponent into the second hit.

FThrow/BThrow Jablock
You time your fthrow/bthrow so that the opponent is flung into the boomerang, and they collapse on the ground in front/behind you. You then proceed to jablock.*

...Those are what I can think of right now. :p

Also note that...
- A returning boomerang can set off proximity mines that a Snake has lain, and can mess up their grenades.
- Boomerangs cancel out most other projectiles, or stop them in their tracks (i.e. grenades or bombs).
- When galeguarding by using the bottom of the stage, it will be treated as though the boomerang hit the ground or a 90 degree wall; by aiming down, it will bounce off upwards, and vice versa.

*Jablocks can be smash DI'ed out of. Against people who smash DI really well expect to get off only one or two jablocks before you have to fsmash or UpB.

And thank you Havokk for revoking the warning and looking up the rules for me. Those links WERE legal, but I'm just not going to bother reposting them.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
There are some fairly well known techniques, Darxmarth.

Double DSmash
You hit with the first hit of the dsmash, and the boomerang pulls the opponent into the second hit.

FThrow/BThrow Jablock
You time your fthrow/bthrow so that the opponent is flung into the boomerang, and they collapse on the ground in front/behind you. You then proceed to jablock.*

...Those are what I can think of right now. :p

Also note that...
- A returning boomerang can set off proximity mines that a Snake has lain, and can mess up their grenades.
- Boomerangs cancel out most other projectiles, or stop them in their tracks (i.e. grenades or bombs).
- When galeguarding by using the bottom of the stage, it will be treated as though the boomerang hit the ground or a 90 degree wall; by aiming down, it will bounce off upwards, and vice versa.

*Jablocks can be smash DI'ed out of. Against people who smash DI really well expect to get off only one or two jablocks before you have to fsmash or UpB.

And thank you Havokk for revoking the warning and looking up the rules for me. Those links WERE legal, but I'm just not going to bother reposting them.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they aren't well known. I'm just saying that instead of waiting for opportunities, you should make them. Projectiles can help you do that.:)

Top Bottom