• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
So you don't like the game, others do and are upset by this news. I really don't understand why people like you feel the need to be a jerk about this. Grow up.
Project M was a dangerous and doomed venture from the start. Frankly, I'm fairly happy with its demise too because it means fewer people will be zooming off to alternate communities causing further fragmentation. The entire project was a huge legal risk. The recent events are anything but surprising. Personally, I like the Melee + Sm4sh dichotomy we have going. They are two very different flavors of smash that have definite longevity. Why do we need PM? I'm usually all for more options, but I could never really get behind a non-Nintendo (non-licensed) product involving the Nintendo cast. Everyone seems happy to just ignore Brawl.

This isn't about "I don't like your game so I'm gonna mock it". This was genuine concern over much of the community getting behind a game with a murky future. Despite recent big turnouts, PM was abruptly yanked from the agenda of many big tournaments. Personally, I'm really glad I wasn't emotionally invested in that.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Project M was a dangerous and doomed venture from the start. Frankly, I'm fairly happy with its demise too because it means fewer people will be zooming off to alternate communities causing further fragmentation. The entire project was a huge legal risk. The recent events are anything but surprising. Personally, I like the Melee + Sm4sh dichotomy we have going. They are two very different flavors of smash that have definite longevity. Why do we need PM? I'm usually all for more options, but I could never really get behind a non-Nintendo (non-licensed) product involving the Nintendo cast. Everyone seems happy to just ignore Brawl.

This isn't about "I don't like your game so I'm gonna mock it". This was genuine concern over much of the community getting behind a game with a murky future. Despite recent big turnouts, PM was abruptly yanked from the agenda of many big tournaments. Personally, I'm really glad I wasn't emotionally invested in that.
Ya thank God we didn't have splitting the community. Just look at how small tournaments are these days.

Do you hate brawl minus too? The only difference is PM gained more popularity.

And ya it's not Nintendo. Not sure why you'd care. Also, ZZ's comments are always just trying to piss off PM players and nothing else.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Ya thank God we didn't have splitting the community. Just look at how small tournaments are these days.

Do you hate brawl minus too? The only difference is PM gained more popularity.

And ya it's not Nintendo. Not sure why you'd care. Also, ZZ's comments are always just trying to piss off PM players and nothing else.
I don't really care that mods exist and people enjoy them, but I do take issue with PM's push to become a mainstream competitive title. I get that it was designed for that, but it's just not something I can get behind. Imagine if all that effort went into a custom title. Now, all we have is Rivals of Aether.

TheForestGreenSheik

Smash Cadet
I don't really care that mods exist and people enjoy them, but I do take issue with PM's push to become a mainstream competitive title. I get that it was designed for that, but it's just not something I can get behind. Imagine if all that effort went into a custom title. Now, all we have is Rivals of Aether.
I agree. It's not like PM was bad, in fact it was way fun. But if people wanted balance then smash 4 is good, for tech there's Melee. And if you just want no defense go with rivals. But the fact that any split that might have been present is disappearing is a good thing for our community. That doesn't mean the PM community is good by any means, just that it was bound to happen sooner or later and it'll be healthy to drive the improvement of the community as a whole.

Espurr's Eyes

Smash Cadet
I disagree, Project M was a great balance between Melee's unforgiving metagame and a balanced roster. Smash 4 is not much more balanced than Melee. PM has the most balanced roster out of any smash game, and I think the coolest part about it is that it was similar enough to Melee so that it didn't split the community, but different enough for it to be its own game. Project M was the reason a ton of people found the smash community in the last 5 years, because it drew people in as a cool mod for casuals (thanks to new stages, characters, and skins) and kept them playing as they discovered a competitive aspect to smash. As people found Project M, some migrated to Melee, and some Melee players came to Project M for character diversity etc. Sure, there are some gimmicks and it's basically Character Matchups: The Game, but I honestly can't take you seriously if you say that Project M did anything but good for the smash community.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
you guys i am reformed and am now an even more pleasant person than before. it's hard to improve perfection but i somehow managed to do it

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I disagree, Project M was a great balance between Melee's unforgiving metagame and a balanced roster. Smash 4 is not much more balanced than Melee. PM has the most balanced roster out of any smash game, and I think the coolest part about it is that it was similar enough to Melee so that it didn't split the community, but different enough for it to be its own game. Project M was the reason a ton of people found the smash community in the last 5 years, because it drew people in as a cool mod for casuals (thanks to new stages, characters, and skins) and kept them playing as they discovered a competitive aspect to smash. As people found Project M, some migrated to Melee, and some Melee players came to Project M for character diversity etc. Sure, there are some gimmicks and it's basically Character Matchups: The Game, but I honestly can't take you seriously if you say that Project M did anything but good for the smash community.
It did a lot more for the community than Brawl did. I'll give you that.

Fsonic95

Smash Cadet
NNID
fsonic95
Anyone else find it suspicious that the PMDT decided to stop development almost immediately after the B!son combo video was uploaded? r/conspiracygrumps
B!son Did 12/1 ....
He stormed in their with jet fuel and then threatened to leak their nudes if they didn't stop PM

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
To be frank, PM drew in a lot of players who would have otherwise left the melee community entirely years earlier.

I'm one of those players. And without pm I don't really see a point in doing smash to be honest. Melee was stale to me and I loved the diversity of pm. It maintained the melee feel and added a lot of good things.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Do you ******* not realize that you can still play PM. For the next 20 years if you want so knock yourselves out.

demodisc

Smash Rookie
SAM 5 Bi-Weekly tournement December 5th
Bushi Kai USA
735 E Pacific Dr, American Fork, Utah 84003

Venue Fee $5

Venue fee waived if Melee or pm setup brought with CRT

Schedule:

Venue Opens 5:00PM

>PM SINGLES (6:00-End of Singles)
Entry fee: 10$ per person
Pot split 60 30 10
2/3 bracket
3/5 Bracket finals

>Melee SINGLES (7:00-End of Singles)
Entry fee 10$ per person
Pot split 60 30 10
2/3 bracket
3/5 bracket finals

General conduct rules apply (Given)

Hope to see you there.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So you don't like the game, others do and are upset by this news. I really don't understand why people like you feel the need to be a jerk about this. Grow up.
kek

I don't know why, but he's the most anti PM person I've ever met.
It caused a big divide in the community and made a lot of friends of mine leave Smash altogether due to problems with their scenes. Not so much in Utah thankfully, but I used to be huge friends with lots of people on this site (just look at my post count, I spent WAY too much time here man) but I no longer am really in touch since I only talked to them here. Also, OG PM fans were mostly ***holes who felt like their mod was the only good Smash (some even dissing Melee funny enough) and acted entitled, but not too much nowadays tho. Now the mod just leaves a sour taste in my mouth due to mainly those 2 things. I could go on with more reasons, but those are the big 2.

EDIT: Also its hilarious to watch some diehard PM players get super mad when you say PM isnt a game, just a mod. Salt just starts spewing man, its some quality Mortons.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Hey, uh, to break up the PM drama, are there still Smash 4 Biweeklies anywhere? I need to know so I can request Saturdays off from work to attend.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
kek

It caused a big divide in the community and made a lot of friends of mine leave Smash altogether due to problems with their scenes. Not so much in Utah thankfully, but I used to be huge friends with lots of people on this site (just look at my post count, I spent WAY too much time here man) but I no longer am really in touch since I only talked to them here. Also, OG PM fans were mostly ***holes who felt like their mod was the only good Smash (some even dissing Melee funny enough) and acted entitled, but not too much nowadays tho. Now the mod just leaves a sour taste in my mouth due to mainly those 2 things. I could go on with more reasons, but those are the big 2.

EDIT: Also its hilarious to watch some diehard PM players get super mad when you say PM isnt a game, just a mod. Salt just starts spewing man, its some quality Mortons.
That type of elitism and awful behavior occurs with most smash scenes. Unfortunately, from what i've seen, Utah is a pretty good example of that (though hopefully it's just a vocal minority). The fact that you perpetuate the type of behavior that you felt victimized by is an ironic and childish response. I will never understand why someone would feel the need to **** on something that others enjoy.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
That type of elitism and awful behavior occurs with most smash scenes. Unfortunately, from what i've seen, Utah is a pretty good example of that (though hopefully it's just a vocal minority). The fact that you perpetuate the type of behavior that you felt victimized by is an ironic and childish response. I will never understand why someone would feel the need to **** on something that others enjoy.
>victimized

lmfao

that feel when disliking a mod means youre a victim

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
Hey, uh, to break up the PM drama, are there still Smash 4 Biweeklies anywhere? I need to know so I can request Saturdays off from work to attend.
SAM did Smash 4 once I think. Something recent did if not that. Can't find it was anymore. The monthly has it, though:

https://www.facebook.com/events/936706916413845/

Not really Bi-weekly, but better than nothing.

I'd point to the Events google doc, but that one still has November's Smash Jam in it and is now view only so no one can change it.

Last edited:

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
SAM did Smash 4 once I think. Something recent did if not that. Can't find it was anymore. The monthly has it, though:

https://www.facebook.com/events/936706916413845/

Not really Bi-weekly, but better than nothing.

I'd point to the Events google doc, but that one still has November's Smash Jam in it and is now view only so no one can change it.
I went and updated the Event Doc. Not sure how it got to be view only, but I am going to leave it like that to help prevent people from messing it up

Kdog98

Smash Cadet
Yo Ka-Master has like 50 votes for crew battle captain at Genesis we should try and get him in top 8

Smash Journeyman
If You want Him top 8, all You need to do is push for MH | Ka-Master.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
I have literally gained several extra chromosomes reading this dumb ****.

PM kids are spoiled baby's

Your game isn't "dead," so quit acting like you lost your left nut, and keep playing your hack mods, or some dumb **** like that.

GG no RE

Last edited:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
are there any tournaments going on in utah valley or SLC on 12/12 or 12/19?

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Smash Jam is on the 12th! You should go.

Why so mean man, you should know im good for talking about smash with, anyone from like the 2010 days knows that.
That's like what 3 people?

It's month til 2016 fam. Think you might wanna move on?

Last edited:
Top Bottom