• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Stitch4

Smash Cadet
By the way, I will not be running the Hang Time weekly this week. When I do get back into town to host it, I'm considering dropping Smash 4 singles and replacing it with Melee Singles (PM at 7 and Melee at 9ish) after reading up on what people have been suggesting over the past 2 weeks.

nobodyshowsanywayso¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Melee every week at Game Den, and now Melee every week at Hang Time as well? Instead of just Melee once every 2 weeks outside of SLC?

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
How well are you able to perform competitively? I'm all for learning more tech, but paying to get bodied for months on end doesn't sound like fun
iirc, both raz and myself (I've also just recently picked up melee) almost always go 0-2 in bracket. However, as the only real way to truly get better is to actually play (doesn't matter how much tech skill you have if you can't use it in an actual match), if you don't want to pay to get bodied, then I would suggest at least showing up and playing friendlies.

A Psychiatrist

Smash Apprentice
How well are you able to perform competitively? I'm all for learning more tech, but paying to get bodied for months on end doesn't sound like fun
We try to get as many new people to come play as we can, Utah has a decent sized smash scene but it's not huge by any means. You should definitely check out some weeklies and talk to some of the more experienced players about tech skill and neutral game, pretty much everyone is friendly and willing to spend some time teaching a new payer about the game. Our scene isn't amazingly pro or anything, if you watch some of the streams you'll see that we're still around mid-level play as a scene and everyone is actively trying to improve. I'm not sure about the other weeklies since I've been out of the loop for about a month, but at the U of U weeklies we would always have a good amount of new players who had just learned about Utah's competitive melee scene, so regardless of your skill level, you should be able to find people here to play with that are on the same level as you.

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
Yo to the guy doing hangtime weeklies - do melee, and I'll show up.

Also, a rivalry with billnye? Kill meeeee. I could not play melee for two years and come back and body this guy. I would likely still be higher in the rankings as well.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
So I want to get back into melee after not playing it after so long but I feel like I'm so many years behind it's not worth it. Have any of you come in to the competitive melee scene late?
practically all of utah is new players. we're a young scene. @ net1234 net1234 went from scrub to wrecking everyone in like a year. and while that is partially because of the time he put into it, it's also because our scene isn't very good yet.

stop caring if you win or lose and just enjoy the game. if you want to compete, then try to improve everytime you play. if you get 4-stocked, ask your opponent or just try to figure out what they were able to exploit about your play.

next time, if i ask you if you want to play, say 'yes' ;-).

Last edited:

Aeriden

Smash Apprentice
I'll definitely have to pick it back up, any reason to hang out and play more smash works for me

Stitch4

Smash Cadet
I'll definitely have to pick it back up, any reason to hang out and play more smash works for me
Another option for helping you get back into the scene is Netplay. I know there are a couple of Netplay heroes in Utah, but there are also people in the surrounding area that you can find via Anther's Ladder to play with who will have good enough ping to allow comfortable play. I'm on Netplay from time to time (haven't been very active recently), so if you ever want some practice with a sub-par player, hit me up.

@ BillNyeTheSamusGuy BillNyeTheSamusGuy Apparently you aren't the only BillNye smasher. http://smashboards.com/threads/when-melee-goes-full-anime.404068/ You gotta step up your game man.

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
if you want to improve, you should *want* to get bodied :-p. imo, that's the best way to learn where your weaknesses are. you will only get jab-reset so much before you learn to tech; you will only get hit with up throw -> up air so much before you learn to di; you will only get stuck in shield for so long before you learn to buffer roll; etc...

i've said it before and i'll say it again. the whole point of a pot is to incentivize better players to show up. why don't top-level players come out to utah? our pots aren't big enough to make it worth it. sometimes we get some nearby out-of-staters, but that's very rare. you guys have pots at the haj, if you think it doesn't do anything, then why have a pot there? ;-)

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
Whats this about a Hang Time weekly? I haven't heard about this and its not on the events directory.
it's on the 'past events' tab of the utah smash events google doc. no one moved it back to the main tab after coming back from a hiatus even though IT'S A PUBLICALLY EDITABLE GOOGLE DOC AND ANYONE CAN DO IT! but nah, i'll move it over, but someone else will have to update the details :-p.

Last edited:

Aeriden

Smash Apprentice
if you want to improve, you should *want* to get bodied :-p. imo, that's the best way to learn where your weaknesses are. you will only get jab-reset so much before you learn to tech; you will only get hit with up throw -> up air so much before you learn to di; you will only get stuck in shield for so long before you learn to buffer roll; etc...

i've said it before and i'll say it again. the whole point of a pot is to incentivize better players to show up. why don't top-level players come out to utah? our pots aren't big enough to make it worth it. sometimes we get some nearby out-of-staters, but that's very rare. you guys have pots at the haj, if you think it doesn't do anything, then why have a pot there? ;-)
Yeah I agree that being bodied is one of the best ways to learn. Let's just hope it doesn't take the competitive spirit out of me :p but I'm pretty hyped about tomorrow's weekly though

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
you will only get jab-reset so much before you learn to tech; you will only get hit with up throw -> up air so much before you learn to di; you will only get stuck in shield for so long before you learn to buffer roll; etc...
I think you are vastly overestimating the Utah smash scene

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
So I want to get back into melee after not playing it after so long but I feel like I'm so many years behind it's not worth it. Have any of you come in to the competitive melee scene late?
Net joined our scene like less than two years ago; now he's solidly 2nd place on our Melee rankings. There's always hope if you're willing to slave yourself to practice hard in the game.

EDIT: Didn't even noticed that there was another page before posting. LOL

Last edited:

ZeroKarasu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroKarasu
3DS FC
3351-4458-3302
I joined the scene a little over a year ago. I'm still pretty bad, but that's because I haven't been keeping up with my training.

ZeroKarasu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroKarasu
3DS FC
3351-4458-3302
Is there just something I'm not getting with Persona 3? I don't find it all that fun. Most of the the characters range from boring to downright obnoxious, and the writing just feels mediocre.

The gameplay is decent, but it's bog standard JRPG fare - the only thing I can think unique about it is the personas themselves, and those end up being more of a nuisance for me than actually ever helping.

DrPhantasma

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrPhantasma
3DS FC
3325-3045-0409
Is there just something I'm not getting with Persona 3? I don't find it all that fun. Most of the the characters range from boring to downright obnoxious, and the writing just feels mediocre.

The gameplay is decent, but it's bog standard JRPG fare - the only thing I can think unique about it is the personas themselves, and those end up being more of a nuisance for me than actually ever helping.
Different strokes for different folks and all that crap, but I like the P3 characters because they're brutally realistic and dramatic, especially Yukari. They're typical highschoolers with parental issues and whatnot. They aren't super "anime" besides a few archetypal things. If you like the more "anime-ish", happy-go-lucky, high school stuff, then you'll probably prefer P4. Also, take into account when P3 came out: 2006. The gameplay was pretty good for it's time, although P3P and P4 have better gameplay.

The game has a lot of common tropes, but it uses those typical tropes very well, and the time period was less bogged down by those tropes (dead parent trope was less of an overused thing, plus that trope works well in P3 and connects the story together very well). Also, social links were a very cool, new thing and added a new level of gameplay. But if you like the Persona thing and less so the story/ characters, then you might like the original, main series, Shin Megami Tensei (Persona's a spinoff). SMT's more focused on the Demons (Personas were originally called demons in those games) and gameplay with some cool ass stories.

And Personas shouldn't be nuisances and should be very useful if you're properly fusing them frequently and getting new ones.

Last edited:

ZeroKarasu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroKarasu
3DS FC
3351-4458-3302
Different strokes for different folks and all that crap, but I like the P3 characters because they're brutally realistic and dramatic, especially Yukari. They're typical highschoolers with parental issues and whatnot.
Dude, my complaint is that they're too unbroken. I'm used to Neon Genesis Evangelion here, so I'm complaining that they aren't depressed or suicidal enough for my tastes.

They aren't super "anime" besides a few archetypal things. If you like the more "anime-ish", happy-go-lucky, high school stuff -
Oh, god, no. I hate that ****.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I'm playing Person 4 Golden right now. I like it :3

I also have thousands of logged hours playing happy-go-lucky high school VNs, though.

Smoom77

Smash Master

this is the money cat, repost in the next 24 hours and money will come your way!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom