• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
just wanted to let everyone know that for the provo game den weekly tomorrow, we were gonna have melee at 6 and wii u at 8pm, but because of scheduling problems we won't start melee until 7pm and wii u singles until 9pm. sorry about that.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
no such thing as casual when you take everything 100% serious anyway

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Shout outs:

@bellsworth46 - Good stuff man. Keep it up, and let me know what I can help with in the future.
@ BillNyeTheSamusGuy BillNyeTheSamusGuy - Our doubles team is going places man. You're an awesome partner to have.
@net1234 - Good job for the win Keep it up.
@PerfectChaos - I'll bring pompoms next time, just for you.
@NorTah - Yo, Terrence was legit and stayed until the end while y'all pansied out, what's up with that?
@Tomacawk - Bummer on the flight missing man. Next time.
@ C Chukwaffles - Boo.

SO question guys, would you attend a CASUAL tournament in provo? Theres a sweet arcade and i think a smash tourney would definitely get them more business and known.
Which arcade?

Last edited:

JMeisterJ

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
Shout outs:

@bellsworth46 - Good stuff man. Keep it up, and let me know what I can help with in the future.
@ BillNyeTheSamusGuy BillNyeTheSamusGuy - Our doubles team is going places man. You're an awesome partner to have.
@net1234 - Good job for the win Keep it up.
@PerfectChaos - I'll bring pompoms next time, just for you.
@NorTah - Yo, Terrence was legit and stayed until the end while y'all pansied out, what's up with that?
@Tomacawk - Bummer on the flight missing man. Next time.
@ C Chukwaffles - Boo.

Which arcade?
Plan Zero on Center Street, i think thats the street name, in provo its by taylor maid and google fiber.

Define casual first
Casual as in for fun, like, its not really gonna be "OH crazy wavedash shine tactics" or something, basically the management is worried that if they try aiming for serious players the tournament wont be a good success so theyd like to keep it casual for like fun, make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
Casual as in for fun, like, its not really gonna be "OH crazy wavedash shine tactics" or something, basically the management is worried that if they try aiming for serious players the tournament wont be a good success so theyd like to keep it casual for like fun, make sense?
what kind of thinking is this

that's ****ing dumb. if the management wants success then he better cater to the players who, you know, actually travel to show up consistently rather than hope that random casuals dont feel bad from losing and will come back

it's dumb as ****

thats sakurai's train of thought, "lets remove competitive mechanics so casuals can fare better against them." the casuals dont mind/notice the competitive elements during the fresh release of the game. ignore that competiveness that keeps a game alive for over a decade, the casuals still wander away onto the next game.

dont cater to casuals theyre nomad gamers

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like my kind of tournament!!

Last edited:

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Will the tournament be like those Gamestop tournaments in the past where they banned Link's up-b because people were spamming it too much due to it being "too good"? XD

Smash Journeyman
The Provo Borp tournament, anyone not playing like Borp will be DQed.

JMeisterJ

Smash Cadet
thats sakurai's train of thought, "lets remove competitive mechanics so casuals can fare better against them." the casuals dont mind/notice the competitive elements during the fresh release of the game. ignore that competiveness that keeps a game alive for over a decade, the casuals still wander away onto the next game.

dont cater to casuals theyre nomad gamers
Ok then, dont go, simple as that, ya in the future they'll probably start more competitive tournaments but for now they just want to get their business known. And they dont want someone to show up, a casual player, get destroyed by some guy whos played at evo for years and crap. They just want people to have fun. If you just wanna complain about "out casting the competitive smashers" fine, but FTR i like competitive smash but i understand not everyones like that, so when its just casual and for fun, i just focus on the fun of the game and use my lesser guys. But when i'm serious its on. So quit complaining.

Sounds like my kind of tournament!!
Ya i really hope they decide to go through with it. It'll definitely be awesome, and while people wait to play they have some AWESOME arcade machines, even a lot of japanese imports!!!!

Will the tournament be like those Gamestop tournaments in the past where they banned Link's up-b because people were spamming it too much due to it being "too good"? XD
I dont think so, I mean, theyre not gamestop so i imagine its already better. Haha,

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Plan Zero on Center Street, i think thats the street name, in provo its by taylor maid and google fiber.
I figured. Short answer: no. I've talked with them plenty of times, I know their desire, and if something was to happen, it'd happen. They're not in the shape to do so currently, only in the form of friendly hang out and even that's iffy currently.

If you're wondering why I'm giving an answer as such, I'm the one who's funded their arcade. It's not a ruled out possibility, but there's other logistics rather than "Let's do a smash tourney" that have to be considered.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
Warning Received
embrace the

double posts

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Iidx, Pump it up, ITG, DDR for hands, Dance Maniax. Currently Technika is down, but that's there too

Pump it up and ITG are custom cabinets, but there is a PIU running Fiesta EX I believe

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
My tactics are so hot, this arcade can't even handle me right now.
what kind of thinking is this

that's ****ing dumb. if the management wants success then he better cater to the players who, you know, actually travel to show up consistently rather than hope that random casuals dont feel bad from losing and will come back

it's dumb as ****
Bruh... Chill

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
Ok then, dont go, simple as that, ya in the future they'll probably start more competitive tournaments but for now they just want to get their business known. And they dont want someone to show up, a casual player, get destroyed by some guy whos played at evo for years and crap. They just want people to have fun. If you just wanna complain about "out casting the competitive smashers" fine, but FTR i like competitive smash but i understand not everyones like that, so when its just casual and for fun, i just focus on the fun of the game and use my lesser guys. But when i'm serious its on. So quit complaining.

Ya i really hope they decide to go through with it. It'll definitely be awesome, and while people wait to play they have some AWESOME arcade machines, even a lot of japanese imports!!!!

I dont think so, I mean, theyre not gamestop so i imagine its already better. Haha,
If you can guarantee it will be free for all with items on I'll be there.

Smash Journeyman
Our posting is so bad, the mods have now started sending in the Super Mods. That's like when they stop sending an officer to your house and start sending in the SWAT team.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
Can someone post the results of the gameden weekly?
melee:
1. x
2. lada
3. death arcana

wii u is kind of a messed up story. we never finished wii u singles to determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but the aguilar brothers were the top 3, so they just took the pot. but getting to that point was kind of messed up too. here's the story:

1. x and lada met up in winner's semi, and lada wanted to concede because it was getting late and he figured he would lose anyway. i honestly didn't care about this because i thought it was true and i wanted to move the tournament along anyway.
2. after not being able to convince lada to play the match, x convinced lada that he should take the loss and go through losers instead of lada. i figured i was gonna allow the last thing to happen, so why not allow them to switch since that's still one less match we have to play :-/.
3. x indeed goes through losers and ends up meeting death arcana in loser's semis and death lost. the winner of this match was guaranteed 3rd and a split of the pot. could death have beaten lada instead this night? who knows?

honestly, as the person running the bracket, i should have not let this happen, so apologize to those who participated. in the future, i think we'll have to implement a rule that states that if you concede a match, you concede the rest of your matches, and perhaps even any tournament winnings. that should prevent situations like this from happening again. if you have a better solution, i'd love to hear it as i don't really want this to happen again :-/. once again, sorry for the way things were run tonight.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
So basically in both melee and wii u, the Aguilars didn't play a single one of their matches against each other to fix the bracket for themselves. Again.

Anyways a good idea for how to help grow the scene is not let Chris be a total **** and ask the new players why they came to lose their money, yell in players ears during matches, visibly piss people off, etc. No wonder not as many players return as we'd like. Just a thought.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
melee:
1. x
2. lada
3. death arcana

wii u is kind of a messed up story. we never finished wii u singles to determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but the aguilar brothers were the top 3, so they just took the pot. but getting to that point was kind of messed up too. here's the story:

1. x and lada met up in winner's semi, and lada wanted to concede because it was getting late and he figured he would lose anyway. i honestly didn't care about this because i thought it was true and i wanted to move the tournament along anyway.
2. after not being able to convince lada to play the match, x convinced lada that he should take the loss and go through losers instead of lada. i figured i was gonna allow the last thing to happen, so why not allow them to switch since that's still one less match we have to play :-/.
3. x indeed goes through losers and ends up meeting death arcana in loser's semis and death lost. the winner of this match was guaranteed 3rd and a split of the pot. could death have beaten lada instead this night? who knows?

honestly, as the person running the bracket, i should have not let this happen, so apologize to those who participated. in the future, i think we'll have to implement a rule that states that if you concede a match, you concede the rest of your matches, and perhaps even any tournament winnings. that should prevent situations like this from happening again. if you have a better solution, i'd love to hear it as i don't really want this to happen again :-/. once again, sorry for the way things were run tonight.
Mew2King got banned from MLG brawl tourneys because he did this

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
melee:

in the future, i think we'll have to implement a rule that states that if you concede a match, you concede the rest of your matches, and perhaps even any tournament winnings.
I like this idea. Idk about its consequences but I feel that we should implement it and modify if it turns out to have effects that weren't readily foreseeable.

Top Bottom