• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UT Austin Smash Club 2/13/10 Meeting Results

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Melee Singles

1: Kal (marth) - $24.00
2: Yugioh Master/Mitchell (falco/marth/falcon) - $12.00
3: Tirno (jigglypuff/falco) - $4.00
4: Noc (falcon)
5: Redshadow (sheik/fox)
5: Rawr (sheik)
7: El Queso Grande
7: Shiameyo
9: Nubz (fox)

Bracket:

Vids:
Most of what was recorded was lost due to the video freezing but I uploaded what I had.
Melee Singles "Highlights"

Melee Doubles

1: Exploding Lawn Mower--Kal & Mitchell
2: I Don't Care--Tirno & Spike
3: The First is Always the most Painful--MT & RedShadow
4: Carpe Diem--Noc & Nubz
5: Indian Sheriffs--El Queso Grande & Brown Link
5: Upthrow Rest?--Rawr & Shiameyo

Bracket:

Vids:
Melee Doubles "Highlights"

Kal

Smash Champion
Like I said, the best players often team in tournament. They like getting paid, after all. Granted, there was no money on the line, but this way Mitch and I could use nonsense characters and still ****.

Also, the club got $5. =/

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, the best players often team in tournament. They like getting paid, after all. Granted, there was no money on the line, but this way Mitch and I could use nonsense characters and still ****.
To be honest, I don't think you and Mitchell teaming was the best idea. It was just a for-fun tournament, and you acted as if we didn't know the relative skill of the teams, but beginning with you/Mitchell, all the teams were plain stacked. That, combined with poor seeding and the rampant sandbagging, really sucked any possible epicness out of the doubles tournament. It's the same as our crew battles, we purposely stay away from stacking the crews to keep them entertaining. I'm sure there might be a few lulz if we made a **** crew and owned everybody with Pichu, but after a while, it's just lame. I don't mean to whine over a 6-team, no-money tournament, but I think a lot of potential fun was missed with our first doubles tournament.

By the way, good job beating Mitchell in two sets. I'm sure it was all due to my advice, haha. Let's say you owe me a dollar for the great coaching, and we'll call it even?

To Clay: good job beating Jamal and taking 4th, what a beast. Also, could you crop those pictures before posting them, or maybe posting a link. I hate it when the whole thread is stretched out cause of images.

Kal

Smash Champion
To be honest, I don't think you and Mitchell teaming was the best idea. It was just a for-fun tournament, and you acted as if we didn't know the relative skill of the teams, but beginning with you/Mitchell, all the teams were plain stacked. That, combined with poor seeding and the rampant sandbagging, really sucked any possible epicness out of the doubles tournament. It's the same as our crew battles, we purposely stay away from stacking the crews to keep them entertaining. I'm sure there might be a few lulz if we made a **** crew and owned everybody with Pichu, but after a while, it's just lame. I don't mean to whine over a 6-team, no-money tournament, but I think a lot of potential fun was missed with our first doubles tournament.
I don't think it's at all fair to expect me to not team with whomever I want just because it creates an imbalance. Yeah, it's imbalanced, but it's nonsense to expect us to team with other players to preserve balance. To suggest otherwise is literally insulting.

And with regard to seeding, I was in a rush and didn't care. The way I saw it, we really didn't know the relative skill of teams, save for the fact that Mitchell and I would probably take 1st. Sure, you might have gotten an "epic" doubles match between the guys who placed 3rd if we had seeded it differently, but with 6 teams seeding won't even have a real effect.

It was a free tournament. Cut me a break. >_>

Tirno said:
By the way, good job beating Mitchell in two sets. I'm sure it was all due to my advice, haha. Let's say you owe me a dollar for the great coaching, and we'll call it even?
OR

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's at all fair to expect me to not team with whomever I want just because it creates an imbalance. Yeah, it's imbalanced, but it's nonsense to expect us to team with other players to preserve balance. To suggest otherwise is literally insulting.

And with regard to seeding, I was in a rush and didn't care. The way I saw it, we really didn't know the relative skill of teams, save for the fact that Mitchell and I would probably take 1st. Sure, you might have gotten an "epic" doubles match between the guys who placed 3rd if we had seeded it differently, but with 6 teams seeding won't even have a real effect.

It was a free tournament. Cut me a break. >_>
You can team with whomever you please. I was just suggesting we form teams similarly to the way we form crews, with a mind towards having more entertaining matches all around. There's nothing insulting about it. In any case, I'm sure plenty of fun was had and we should definitely hold more doubles tournaments in the future.

Kal

Smash Champion
We form crews the way we do because crews are strictly about getting people involved and having people cheer their heads off. This would obviously be impossible with a stacked crew.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
I did feel a little emasculated after Nubz and I lost to Kal and Mitchell's double Ness and double Pichu heh. If we make the teams a little more balanced for the next Melee doubles tournament, it will be more exciting since many of the sets will be close and everybody will actually have to try their hardest to win. This tournament was still fun but the fun would be enhanced if several teams had a decent chance of winning.

To Clay: good job beating Jamal and taking 4th, what a beast.
Thanks. I am getting better but I still have a ways to go. In particular, I need to focus more on patterns in my game that my opponent is exploiting (e.g. teching in place too much or ledgehopping predictably) and patterns in my opponent's game that I can exploit (e.g. teching patterns so I can improve my techchasing and how they recover so I can effectively edgeguard). And of course I can always work on my tech skill, need to be able to SHFFL in my sleep.

Good job beating me with DK lol. I regret using DK myself...next time I use Dr. Mario. :)

edit: Also, those were some great sets in the winners and grand finals of the singles tourney. Seems we have a Nadal/Federer-type rivalry going on here. And yes, I believe I just compared Kal to Roger Federer lol.

MT_

Smash Ace
Not sure where the insulting part comes in. If anything, having you guys choose other players to team with (because you are TOO GOOD) is definitely a compliment with respect to your skill.

Anyways, I want more Melee doubles tourneys. I want to team with a variety of people in tournament! It breaks the regularity of a singles tourney where we know the general outcome already (though singles tourneys DO allow for exciting stuff, like Kal beating Mitchell and Clay beating Jamal).

Kal

Smash Champion
Not sure where the insulting part comes in. If anything, having you guys choose other players to team with (because you are TOO GOOD) is definitely a compliment with respect to your skill.
Asking us to not team with each other because we're too good is an insult since we've worked hard to become this good. It's not any different than telling someone he can't enter singles because he's too good. In other words, it's viciously insulting to tell someone "you're too good to enter."

Regardless, I can see your point to an extent. Considering the tournament was free, it may have been more enjoyable for the rest of the players if we had not teamed together. I just think it's important that you guys see where I'm coming from.

MT said:
Anyways, I want more Melee doubles tourneys. I want to team with a variety of people in tournament! It breaks the regularity of a singles tourney where we know the general outcome already (though singles tourneys DO allow for exciting stuff, like Kal beating Mitchell and Clay beating Jamal).
Give it some time and we should be seeing even more surprise victories in singles. Edgar almost beat me this past tourney.

Top Bottom